Why is it that we still have the Old British Woman on the Dollar Bill?

belizisimo said:

by the way, last time i looked, the militaries of Panama and Venezuela and other countries that supported Belize's independence is nothing Guatemala would be afraid of. their diplomacy is nice, but a future Guatemalan dictator cares not.

I guarantee you that both the panama and venezuelan militaries are bigger and more potent than guatemala.

HOwever, all this discussion is irrellevant to my initial point which is Belize needs to start acting like an independent country and not like a handycapped.

If the security of a country is dependent on another, I would contend that country is not truly independent.

boco

I agree with you guy ,they simply are not be recognized anymore if it wasnt for the USA .and besides they are so upset at the USA ,When they come here to visit its like they think (The Citizens of England )that they talk very rude about the Americans
and if it wasn' for the Americans the Germans would have probably own there asses .My Mother in Law is in US Customs and
she said they are so disgusting that one day she had to tell them the deficit Engalnd Owes America and they shut there Mouth.
but anyway if Belize is to Functon as an Independent Country
then they have to see a way Strenthening the Borders an Starting a Military Resistance TEAM To protect the Country .an am sure if the US SEES this happening they would be willing to have some help be sent to make Guatemala understand that they are showing there presence.since the days of Kennedy when he surrounded Cuba ,the Americans used Belize as a
Staging Arena to Attack Cuba and Russia in the Missile Crisis .so fi you guys think the US would just stand by and do nothing think again!
WCW

since the days of Kennedy when he surrounded Cuba ,the Americans used Belize as a
Staging Arena to Attack Cuba and Russia in the Missile Crisis .so fi you guys think the US would just stand by and do nothing think again!
WCW [/B]

....hmmm....me nuh think so yunno....

...an old wise man once told me...

the US in fact promised belize to guatemala...in exchange for guat's help in the bay of pigs invasion...

...just think, if things had gone their way...

unnu mih wah di quarrel eena spanish...hahaha...

Another Republican decision...

sweet_lime said:

the US in fact promised belize to guatemala

This was a Ronald Reagan decision. Good thing the people of Belize told him to go pound salt.

Well anyway do you think with all the Cruffy inna Belize an in America dey wah just stand by and nah sey nothing .now you now how we cruffy are.Lawd na even stat dis ya wan dey cruffy wah cuss dey rass realy good and bun dey hacienda to rass ya si
and we got so big rass mouth pa wi .so I hope i made my point.
we aleady got rid a PUP .Who's Next?

WCW

bocojeck said:
If the security of a country is dependent on another, I would contend that country is not truly independent.

boco

that's another discussion entirely. i suppose the same goes for S. Korea, Taiwan or the Gulf States, whose security depends on the actual or presumed guarantees of the US military.

by the way Canada and Australia still have the Queen as their head of state [though Australia is having the same discussion we're having and could end the link soon]. would you say they're less independent because they have the Queen as their titular head of state?
i wouldn't.

belizisimo said:
that's another discussion entirely. i suppose the same goes for S. Korea, Taiwan or the Gulf States, whose security depends on the actual or presumed guarantees of the US military.

by the way Canada and Australia still have the Queen as their head of state [though Australia is having the same discussion we're having and could end the link soon]. would you say they're less independent because they have the Queen as their titular head of state?
i wouldn't.

I am saying we need to behave as an independent. For canada and australia the queen is just symbolic ruler. They are responsible for their own securtiy.

In teh case of Belize, the queen being the head of state is just the beginning. We are dependent on them for our security, final court of appeal etc. and no body seems concerned that we have all our eggs in one basket.

boco

sweet_lime said:
....hmmm....me nuh think so yunno....

...an old wise man once told me...

the US in fact promised belize to guatemala...in exchange for guat's help in the bay of pigs invasion...

...just think, if things had gone their way...

unnu mih wah di quarrel eena spanish...hahaha...

The US supported our independence without exception. I think they would have a hard time retracting that position.

boco

I have one question for all the posters with british nostalgia of years gone,

Please gve me specific recent examples or reasons to support the idea that Britain would still protect Belize TODAY!

Everything Britain has done in the past 10 - 20 years suggest to me that they are done with us.

They have pulled out their troops almost completely and have abandoned the negotiation process with Guatemala. Even the guatemala settlement disputes at Santa Rita and other settlements are being mediated by the OAS. All these to me suggest that we are on our own. (we just dont realize it yet)

boco

it's not about british nostalgia. that's silly.

britain doesn't explicitly promise to come to Belize's aid. but the presence of BATSUB and the fact the Queen remains head of state, is a symbolic gesture.
every year a British carrier comes to Belizean waters. they hold excercises.
it works. the guatemalans aren't sure whether Britain would come to Belize's aid. But they're not sure Britain would NOT either. they'd rather not find out the hard way.

no one believes America would come to Belize's military defense. not enough oil.

i'm not saying the privy council should be the last court of appeal. in fact, i think belize is already on course to undoing that.

this theory that belize can't demonstrate independence without severing the links to Britain is bogus.

belizisimo said:
it's not about british nostalgia. that's silly.

Come on have a sense of humour!

belizisimo said:
britain doesn't explicitly promise to come to Belize's aid. but the presence of BATSUB and the fact the Queen remains head of state, is a symbolic gesture.
every year a British carrier comes to Belizean waters. they hold excercises.

However they made it explicitly clear in the past. Why have they stopped making this pledge? The presense and activity in Belize by the British is significantly less now. It is true they still have some activity there but its nothing to talk about. The fact that the queen has remained the head of the state is more Belize's decision than anything. The majority of countries in the commonwealth has dumped the queen as the head of state including trinidad

belizisimo said:
this theory that belize can't demonstrate independence without severing the links to Britain is bogus.

I think it makes perfect sense. You can call your self independent and you may on paper be an independent country but if in substance you have to depend on another country for your protecion, then you are not truly indepentent in substance.

But dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong for Belize to have bilateral relationships and treatises with other countries incuding England but if you depend on them absolutely your national security then you are not independent. I think the ability to secure your borders goes hand in hand with the theory of soverignty. IF you have to depend on another country to secure your borders then to me you are more like a territory. That would make Belize more like Puerto Rico or Guam.

If you look at countries like the Cayman island bermuda and aruba. They are independent on paper, but depend on their colonial masters absolutely for their national security. To me thats a joke.

boco

bocojeck said:
If you look at countries like the Cayman island bermuda and aruba. They are independent on paper, but depend on their colonial masters absolutely for their national security. To me thats a joke.

boco [/B]

no way are caymans, bermuda and aruba independent. they are the equivalent of what Belize was prior to Sept 21, 1981.
you can't equate the two.

if you extend the logic of your argument, because Belize accepts foreign aid from the US, and loans on concessionary terms from Taiwan, Kuwait, the IMF, Belize is not independent.
now i agree that those relationships come with strings attached. but every relationship is that way.

belizisimo said:
no way are caymans, bermuda and aruba independent. they are the equivalent of what Belize was prior to Sept 21, 2001.
you can't equate the two.

I would argue that in substance Belize is very similar to those countries in that our national security is supposedly dependent on one country just like those countries.

Maybe Belize is not like those countries in other regards but we are talking about national security and in that regards I think its similar.

boco

Back