Why is it that we still have the Old British Woman on the Dollar Bill?

W

WilhelmWaight

Shouldn't we have gotten rid of this witch before after all .did we not become and Independent Nation ,and self Sufficient in providing for our own?please help me to understand why?

WCW

You are starting to sound like Hitler when, he burned all literature written by Jews.

that is simply the reason for you attaining such a Name you can't get it right at all .so much for your Moto.maybe I should call you jewish. or black Uhuru. get it right I can't.or more like you do not know which way is up!

:D :D :D :D
WCW

I'm just saying. It is a part of your history. There is a lot of bad with the good written in this history but, it has helped shape Belize into the nation it is today. It is still constantley helping shape Belize into the great and, prosperious nation, it can be.

Don't be so quick to toss out the old.

if yuh get the QUEEN off the BZE currency the/our money depreciate big time......look at ALL the west indian islands that took the so call witch off their currency:D :D :D it depreciate..thats why....that was on the travel channel the other day too.....

memba our money is value way higher than/ i believe all the caribbean islands currency..probably barbados i was told is the same value as bze 2 to1

dont be an ingrate.

having the queen as head of state of Belize is a symbolic but meaningful measure of protection.

remember Guatemala is still next door. next time they have a military dictatorship (and we all know it'll happen again), and they want to invade Belize, it helps us that technically, Belize is still a part of Her Majesty's realm.

symbolically, Britain would not allow a part of Her Majesty's realm to be invaded.

it's a small tripwire (even though Britain doesn't explicitly promise to defend Belize) but it gives the Guats a little thing to think about.

You may not like her, but she serves a purpose. and while that purpose keeps Belize free from Guatemala, me glad fi have ah.

belizisimo said:
dont be an ingrate.

You may not like her, but she serves a purpose. and while that purpose keeps Belize free from Guatemala, me glad fi have ah.

I totally agree..............me glad too.

aye.. unnu lef queenie lone mien..... so many years she;s been on our money and all of a sudden she inna unnu way lol... aye aye cruffy!:D :D

dah who unnu want pon the bill? Musa, Fonseca or Barrow?:D

Re: Myabe Guatemala is not a bad thing afterall...

mellowman said:
Their people loves us... I use to work with several guatemalan nationals in North Hills cali and they were always talking so nicely of Belize. Two of the females even brought me food on several occassion.. They were always bragging that i belong to them.... and you know.. in the begining, i use to get real mad when they talk crazy like that, but after spending a couple days with this one chica, i was almost convinced!

hmmm...guatemalans....you'd be shocked what most of them think...they really believe they own us....and lets not get into how racist they can be..oy yo yoy....would never hope to have those suckers own our country..would be hell on earth then..

as to the Queen, God Bless her.....and leave her on my money, she preetier than any leader we have ever had!!

mtb

wilhelm, there was no need to call her majesty an old witch either, seems kinda petty and childish. whose face should we put there if not hers?

How About Mellow or Menoh .maybe we can make more money.
yet if it give the Belize Dollar higher value well leave the Old witch
there then .so much for the british.
HA HA HA !

WCW

I understand you cannot rewrite history, so I am not too bitter against ENgland. However, I do think if we are to truly call ourselves independent we need to start behaving that way. We cling to everything british sometimes more than the british do themselves.

It reminds me of a boy who thinks he is a man cause he can have children and get married but still have to live home and depend on his mom to maintain him.

I say, get rid of the queen and replace her with our true national heroes. While we are at it should make some major changes to our antiquated system of government too.

boco

Dj_RedEye said:
if yuh get the QUEEN off the BZE currency the/our money depreciate big time......look at ALL the west indian islands that took the so call witch off their currency:D :D :D it depreciate..thats why....that was on the travel channel the other day too.....

memba our money is value way higher than/ i believe all the caribbean islands currency..probably barbados i was told is the same value as bze 2 to1

The only reason the belize dollar is not devalued like those "west indian islands" is that we have intentionally tied our currency to the american. It fits in to the false sense of independence I am talking about. Those other countries have decided that they are willing to face the world and fight and not articfically tie their system to colonial masters.

And by theway, we do not have to have the queen on our dollar or as our head of state to be able to tie it to the US dollar.

By the way, my neighbor and I had a similar discussion the other day, and I went to research a bit about other former british colonies. To my surprise, the overwhelming MAJORITY of former british colonies have dumped the queen as the head of their state including a few from the Caribbean.

in this regard Belize is in the minority. Most countries have moved on. We need to do the same!

boco

What happens when the Euro becomes the International currency?

bocojeck said:
The only reason the belize dollar is not devalued like those "west indian islands" is that we have intentionally tied our currency to the american. It fits in to the false sense of independence I am talking about. Those other countries have decided that they are willing to face the world and fight and not articfically tie their system to colonial masters.

And by theway, we do not have to have the queen on our dollar or as our head of state to be able to tie it to the US dollar.

By the way, my neighbor and I had a similar discussion the other day, and I went to research a bit about other former british colonies. To my surprise, the overwhelming MAJORITY of former british colonies have dumped the queen as the head of their state including a few from the Caribbean.

in this regard Belize is in the minority. Most countries have moved on. We need to do the same!
boco

Belize do have its own heros to put on the currency. And who says it has to be the face of a person?

Independenct means just that. I too would like to see the political system and the judicial system change from the British-like. The British raped the country of its mahagony for years. When there was nothing left, they argreed to independence. They also created an elitist-type society that still remains. That's why Belizeans have never elected a black person.

I would say since the British has stolen enough of our Mahogany
and Chicle (GUM) it should be only understanding that we should change
the head of State on the Money of he Country .and Guatemala is not going to over run the Country if America has interest in the Country ,and it may just be one way of allowing the Americans to come in and invest and turn the economy in a way for Belize.lets put it this way .ever since I was growng up in Belize I had always taught that the Bristish should be sent back to England and lets see who and how the country would really support its self Military and the forefronts of the borders.MAYBE its time we think about
the reality of things to come and we do have a Black Man as the Elected for our Country.

WCW

I think the whole thing with Guatemala is just scare tactics. To me the best defense for Belize is solid diplomacy. If we build meaningful relationships with other world powers, guatemala will think twice.

I dont like my own fate to be determined by any other person and as a country we should not have to depend on Britain as our source or protecion if we can be doing things to secure our own security.

From my memory, when the UN voted on Belize's independence, Guatemala voted against and every other country in the world voted in favor. I think spain abstainted from voting.

Its important to note that one of the first countries to support our independence was Panama. So even though Guatemala may have more in common with Panama historically, it did not matter. These are the allegiances we need to develop world wide so that Guatemala thinks twice. That to me is more effective than depending on Britain.

FYI, britain is slowly but surely moving towards mediocrity. Do we really want our national security dependent on such a country.

boco

britain may be mediocre to you.
but their military is still strong enough to give Guatemala pause.

diplomacy is great. but it works best if there's a stick behind your back to make the carrot seem like the better option.

a country of 300,000 people with a poorly marked border, will always be at the mercy of a larger neighbor of nearly 13 million, especially if that larger neighbor questions the very right to existence of the smaller country.

diplomacy works for Belize because the Guatemalans recall the Falklands War and they believe Britain, in decline or not, is willing to go to war to defend an insignificant little territory half way across the world.

by the way, last time i looked, the militaries of Panama and Venezuela and other countries that supported Belize's independence is nothing Guatemala would be afraid of. their diplomacy is nice, but a future Guatemalan dictator cares not.

mtb

bocojeck said:
FYI, britain is slowly but surely moving towards mediocrity. Do we really want our national security dependent on such a country.

boco [/B]

where is your info or proof on this? seems like hot air to me.

Sorry to step on your toes. I never said Britain is mediocre. I said it is moving to mediocrity. Also I am not saying Britain is a third world country but I would not consider them a super power either.

If you still think Britain is the Britain of ole then you are living in a conchs shell. For that matter, Britain today has been relegated to be just a puppet of the US and that is the ONLY reason they still have some relevance. Without the US keeping Britain in the equation no one would really care what Britain had to say.

but if you are looking for proof of Britain movement to becoming just another country, start with the world fact book. i guarantee you that Britain is no longer top ten (probably not even in the top 25) in any of the key indicators of a countries performance, eg GDP per capita, GNP per capita etc. In addition I have my own experience. I started going to England in 1993 at least once every year and to be honest it looks the same way today as it did back then. For eg, the train system is still horrendously dangerous and the telecom system is still a joke. Their days of dictating what will or will not happen in this world are LONG GONE!!!!

But dont get side tracked. How powerful England is, is not very relevant to my point. My point is simply it makes no sense for us to be dependent on ANY country for our security especially for the long run.

Finally, your example of what britain did to scare guate is in the past. You have no reason to believe they would do what they did in the 80's. In fact all indications are that they are done with Belize. They have reduced their presense in Belize to almost nothing and fiscal support is gone.

Further proof that support my theory that Britain is no longer interested in protecting us, look at the negotiations with guate over the past 10 - 15 years. For the most part the OAS has been greatly involved and England is virtually non existent in these negotiations. In the past Britain was actively involved now they are gone. SO what proof do you have the England still has the the zeal to protect Belize today like they did in 70's and 80's.

IN MY OPINION, if the guatemalans would act up, it is more likely the US would be a better force to discourage them (whether militarily or diplomaticly) than Britain.

boco

belizisimo said:
by the way, last time i looked, the militaries of Panama and Venezuela and other countries that supported Belize's independence is nothing Guatemala would be afraid of. their diplomacy is nice, but a future Guatemalan dictator cares not.

Please note that EVERY country in the world except guatemala and Spain supported our indepence.

boco

Back