GENERAL ELECTIONS 2008 RESULTS - UDP FORMS NEXT BZE GOV'T

SPEAR poll predicts U.D.P. victory

Based on their past public opinion polls, the results were not exactly unexpected, and SPEAR’s latest research, conducted less than a month before the election, predicts victory for the opposition United Democratic Party. But, as News Five’s Janelle Chanona reports, the numbers don’t stop there.

Janelle Chanona
Between January eighteenth and the twenty-first SPEAR pollsters called four hundred and seventeen registered voters in all six districts, randomly selected from land lines listed in the phonebook. The participants were asked six direct questions:

Will you vote? How do you rate the government’s performance? How are you most likely to vote? What’s your motivation for voting? Has the quality of your life improved over the last ten years? And are you optimistic about the outcome of the February seventh elections?

According to SPEAR, it is estimated that eighty-seven point three percent of the electorate will vote. That’s close to the record turnout in 1998 when ninety-one percent of those eligible cast ballots.

Regarding Government performance, the P.U.P. scored a D or a “Poor” rating. But perhaps the most interesting question in the survey also had the most interesting answers. Twenty-five point seven percent of those polled said they will vote for the United Democratic Party and seventeen point five percent favoured the People’s United Party. But a whopping twenty-seven point one percent said they were undecided and twenty-five point two percent chose to keep their choice confidential.

“Issues” was the number one basis given for voting, with party loyalty a distant second with twenty point six percent. Money and gifts were a dead last with one point nine percent. Forty-six point eight percent felt their life had improved in the last decade while forty-seven point seven percent said it had not.

The last question is a bit of a riddle and its responses are just as puzzling. Sixty-eight point three percent were “optimistic” about the outcome of elections, sixteen point three percent were not and nine point seven couldn’t say.

Using those results, SPEAR then forecast three possible scenarios that could be derived from the numbers. The first puts the U.D.P. in the lead but suggests that the political parties would have to fight it out right down to the wire. The second and third also give the win to the U.D.P. by slightly different margins.

Henry Gordon, SPEAR
“What we are looking at, we are looking at a scientific poll, there are some mathematical formulas that are used and if we were to go into that just for public consumption we believe would not serve a useful purpose.”

Gus Perera, Director, SPEAR
“In a general sense basically what we have done is we have taken those people who have been in the confidential and the undecided bracket and we have modelled it using the cross analysis techniques, I can’t really break it down more than that, but it creates for you a curve where you would be able to place certain responses that are consistent with responses with some of the other questions and from that you would be able to make the projections no?”

While those projections are certain to upset the poll’s losers, SPEAR’s director Gus Perera is standing firmly behind the findings.

Gus Perera
“Where the P.U.P. is concerned from the very first poll that we did, they have been dismissive of polls, I think the first poll they referred to it as a bogus poll until the municipal elections proved it to be solid gold. And all the polls after that they dismissed also so we don’t really expect that it’s going to change at this time. We believe we are in a good place, we believe that it is a test of credibility now between our poll and the test of credibility of the P.U.P. leadership. And I think the results on elections day is going to really speak to that.”

“The only true test that we have had really because the only election that has occurred since the time we started to poll was the municipal elections and during that election, I think we predicted that the U.D.P. would have got sixty five percent of the votes and the P.U.P. would have got I think thirty-five percent. The eventual outcome was that the U.D.P. got sixty-two point something percent and the P.U.P. got thirty-four point five percent so that I think was very accurate no?”

But it is also accurate that twenty-five percent of the sponsorship of the SPEAR poll came from the Association of Concerned Belizeans, who recently launched an anti-Government advertising campaign.

Gus Perera
“They were not a part of the polling process, they were not involved with the design, they were not involved with the development and the methodology, that was totally a SPEAR work. They contributed as did many other people.”

And according to Perera, in the history of SPEAR’s six polls, this is the first time more than fifty percent of the participants have not given clear answers to all questions. In the case of the responses to “who would you likely vote for?”, SPEAR believes people were afraid to associate themselves with a particular party.

Gus Perera
“Unfortunately, in the twenty-first century we still have people who are fearful of victimisation, and that kind of thing.”

“If you have twenty-seven percent that are undecided and twenty five deh say it’s confidential, but seventy or sixty eight percent are optimistic about the results, it’s really telling you, that I don’t want to talk about how I wah vote but I know.”

Henry Gordon
“We are stating a reality in Belize; we do know that some people are afraid to express their opinions. We are not denying that but we’re not saying how many people are, what percentage the people are but some people just tell you, that they are undecided. That’s my business, that’s between me and my God, or whatever they want to say.”

And while SPEAR says it isn’t trying to influence the undecided, the organization says it does hope to change the way politicians think about their voters.

Gus Perera
“We are saying that one, we want si the picture, we want tek a snapshot fu see weh frame ah mind the people are in and two, bring that to the fore and I think what this is showing is that people want a higher level of politicking. People want to deal with the issues, the real issues, people want those issues to be put on the table and discussed.”

The four hundred and seventeen people polled represent approximately one in every three hundred sixty registered voters. Reporting for News Five, I am Janelle Chanona.

Even before the results were released, P.U.P. officials dismissed the poll results as meaningless, biased and partisan. Several did point out, however, that the methodology of using telephone customers tends to under represent rural voters who, it is claimed, tend to favour the Peoples’ United Party.

the districts are getting shafted in the elections.
why is it that most Belize City electoral divisions have 3000 and 4000 voters, and out in the districts, divisions mostly have more than 5000?

that dilutes the votes of district voters, notably those in Cayo central, OW north, Toledo and Stann Creek.

Belize City gets more representation and everyone else gets shafted.

that appears unconstitutional.

mercury said:
elecctors2008-1.gif

...that has always been the case...

i think the worst was cayo...

it used to be a whole lot worse...

if you look back at the statistics...

when there were 18 constituencies

each district (excluding bz city) was divided into TWO electoral divisions, regardless of population

and bz city had 6 divisions

...a lot has changed, but there is still a lot left to do...

Dream Babes said:
This morning, SPEAR released a poll on the elections. I missed the figures on the 12:30pm local news,

Sweet Lime...did you hear it?

I think I heard that based on the results, UDP can expect the most votes from the Stann Creek and Orange Walk District and the least from Corozal (PUP will get the most from this District).........Anyone can shed some light?

gyal DB!!!

saka di study and pore ova yu poll results...LOL...

a had one HORRIBLE nightmare...

gyal ah dream di EFFERS deh win again...

i was so despondent...

till ah wake up...hahahaaaaa....:D

Great Idea Mercury,

I love the idea you have created an online election watch.

Let me first say that while I believe UDP will be victorious...Spear did a very unscientific poll.....I had to do an entire semester of polling.

The biggest problem with the poll is that they called people on phones....meaning they left out everyone who does not own a phone and no way of truly identifying if the people they spoke to were actually the people on the list....but that said...the results will bolster UDP support as people love to ride with winners!

As for Belizeans....I think that this is a critical turning point in our history....The time has come that all the Belizeans who can go home and vote to take this opportunity to do so as corruption is stagnating our economy...every Belizean who have plans to retire in Belize in the future should take special interest in the outcome of our elections and should be active in trying to change the criminal environment of Belize.

Well I def will keep watch and hope to be in Belize, kinda iffy right now.

I swear I need fi go dah Belize and conduct a scientific poll, because none of these polls are scientific in any means. The one conducted by Dr. Iyo (my old professor) is not scientific in the least. I have no doubt that these polls are created to foster public opinion and nothing more.

For a poll to be scientific these have to be done.....

The voters have to come off the voters list.
A statistical formula has to be applied to randomly select voters from each division
They must then go out and find these voters randomly selected and interview them. No other voter can be interviewed.

then based on the response of these voters then they can get an idea what people are thinking.

If you invite people to polls it is unscientific as only people willing to be polled and more likely have a political agenda will give false results...if you call people, you leave out people without phones.

Because Belize is based on number of constituencies and not mere numbers.......The data should be based on constituency responses as opposed to individual responses.

I predict UDP! I believe the PUP machinery is behind the recent poll. I find it highly suspect!

I've seen 5th graders conduct more accurate polls that the latest one that's been released. Just based on how it was done it's clear that there is a HUGE margin of error.

craziness.
polls conducted in person are notoriously flawed. people are reluctant to give honest answers when someone's standing at their door and knows where they live.

i wonder if the Spear poll included cell phones?

well I nuh think anybody fraid fi seh right now they waa vote RED.
But that point aside....that is why there is a statistical formula applied so that even that could be taken into consideration and that is where the margin

The politricking is on, I surely won't miss all those political ads!

Attachments

• belize january 08 028.jpg
    belize january 08 028.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 358
I go out west whenever I go to Belize, this trip I went to San Ignacio, Belmopan, Belize City,Barranco and Dangriga, I didn't make it to Placencia this time. I had to go visit all my peeps. I stayed at the Princess one night, it's a nice hotel. :D

I believe they had the National PUP rally in Dangriga right before I left, and then they gave some money to the Gulisi school the next day, seems like PUP is really courting the south.

It was funny the day of the funeral. When Said Musa came down the road to enter the church, people just looked and a few people went to shake his hand. A few minutes later with musician Aurelio Martinez came down the road.......a lot of people cheered, clapped and went to meet him:D

Vicious elections in Belize

I thought the ads were very vicious on both sides. But, they have great music. Maybe Mercury can put them on a CD.

I love the Corruption Watch piece from the UDP. Then, there is the PUP tagging the leaders of UDP as Senor Beat it, Senor Sell it, Senor Ram it and Senor "Quitar".

I picked up the manefesto for both of the major parties to see what they are promising. Even though the nominations were only 2-3 weeks from election day, the compaign were in full swing prior to that.

Can you imagine Ralphie is running again? Does that man have no shame? Shouldn't he still be mourning the loss of his only son? I guess all that oil money is too much for him stay away from. Did you hear about the millions of dollars that the son left his father? Where did a 30 something get all that money? That's the question Belizeans are asking.

OK, so the list of parties & candidates are finally updated to reflect those of the Belize Elections & Boundaries Department. Check original post on Page 1 of this thread for updates.

*whew*

[size=large]Which Constituency? Which Polling Area?[/size]

If you are a registered Belizean Voter but not sure which Constituency you are registered in or to which Polling Area you are to vote, please visit the website below and enter your First Name, Last Name, & Date of Birth and find out where you will vote on Election Day!

http://belize-elections.org/voter_2008/index.php

[size=large]Updated Totals of Voters Per Constituency[/size]

div_sex_chart_jan.gif

Back