Belize's Cabinet

the reality of the one laptop per child is doomed, what if it gets wet from a rainy day and ruined, or stolen, or sold for crack, is there going to be a replacement or does that child suffer and be the odd ball in class without a computer.
a computer lab in all schools with 30 computers so every student has access, then make available inexpensive computers at a subidised cost, tax free or at cost.
the textbook program is good and shouis a keeper

they have and always did have Cadet on there side so now the roads should get fixed especially in my neck of the woods. instead of making big promises like he did about fixing my road into a highway and never doing anything cause they didn't have enough money, patch the holes and make a plan to resuface X miles per year.

mercury said:
For some visuals...

belize-musa.jpg

Said Musa
Fort George

FLORENCIO.jpg

Florencio Marin, Jr.
Corozal South East

JOHN.jpg

John Briceño
Orange Walk Central

Mercury

Like others have said, I want to commend you for the hard work you have done to keep us posted.

HOwever I have a little complaint. In looking at the photo shots of the cabinet and members of the house of representatives, I noticed that for some bizarre reason Musa's, Marin's and Briceno's pictures were slightly larger than the other honorable members.

Can you please reduce their picture sizes smaller than everyone else to reflect their new diminished and unwanted status in our country. If you can make their pictures small to the point where someone would need a magnifiying glass to see them, that would be very appropriate!

:peace

boco

zpania said:
I'm no prophet but I'd like to make a prediction: The One Laptop per Child
proposal will return to the table as a valid program worth embracing.

Zpania

I hope you are wrong. I think the laptop idea was the most dumb promise made to the belizean people since the 10,000 homes promise (also another worthless PUP promise)

The reality is, laptops are expensive, become obsolete quicker, can be damaged or stolen much easier.

a computer lab is much easier, cheaper, efficient and effective to maintain and control.

The only person who would have really benefitted from the 'laptop program' would have been some PUP crony who would have gotten the contract to provide laptops but would have supplied only half the amount and instead of new ones he would have supplied refurbished obsolete ones.

Thats how most other PUP contracts were carried out so I have no reason to think the 'laptop program' would have been any different.

boco

bocojeck said:
Zpania

I hope you are wrong. I think the laptop idea was the most dumb promise made to the belizean people since the 10,000 homes promise (also another worthless PUP promise)

The reality is, laptops are expensive, become obsolete quicker, can be damaged or stolen much easier.

a computer lab is much easier, cheaper, efficient and effective to maintain and control.

The only person who would have really benefitted from the 'laptop program' would have been some PUP crony who would have gotten the contract to provide laptops but would have supplied only half the amount and instead of new ones he would have supplied refurbished obsolete ones.

Thats how most other PUP contracts were carried out so I have no reason to think the 'laptop program' would have been any different.

boco

boco, I don't know where you are located, but this program is a world-wide program, not just Belize. In fact, there are many countries now participating. It was introduced by a former high tech executive who installed a computer in a public place in a third world country to see how much curiosity it would generate. When the kids made a beeline each day to the park, they knew they had a winner. He then manufactured these small laptops at the cost of $100 to be distributed. Then he signed up other countries to participate. Now other tech companies(like Intel) see the big $$$ and are trying to usurp his program.

Don't you think having your computer and access to the internet opened the world to you?

On my trip to Belize 2 weeks ago, I listened to Mr Faber and I think he will put partisan politics aside and do what's best for the kids of Belize. He's got my support. It's time to stop reinventing and start fixing the problems, eliminate what doesn't work.

ro2dawn said:
boco, I don't know where you are located, but this program is a world-wide program, not just Belize. In fact, there are many countries now participating. It was introduced by a former high tech executive who installed a computer in a public place in a third world country to see how much curiosity it would generate. When the kids made a beeline each day to the park, they knew they had a winner. He then manufactured these small laptops at the cost of $100 to be distributed. Then he signed up other countries to participate. Now other tech companies(like Intel) see the big $$$ and are trying to usurp his program.

Don't you think having your computer and access to the internet opened the world to you?

On my trip to Belize 2 weeks ago, I listened to Mr Faber and I think he will put partisan politics aside and do what's best for the kids of Belize. He's got my support. It's time to stop reinventing and start fixing the problems, eliminate what doesn't work.

My response are as follows

Of course having a computer and access to the internet is a good thing which is why I was saying having computer labs.

Secondly I am aware of the company in INdia I think that came out with the $100 per lap top program. However, I dont remember the PUP saying that is the program they are leaning to. Secondly, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Before I jumped on a $100 laptop, I would at least make sure that its worth the effort in the long run. In terms of maintenance, upgradeability, usability, repairability etc.

I am all for computerization of Belize, but we need to start making good long term decisions and not cheap short term decisions that cost us more down the road.

So in summary, IF in fact the lap top program was refering to the $100 deal and IF that deal does make sense down the road after considering all the costs and benefits involved then it makes sense.

But to just say "free lap top for every kid" to me is irresponsible.

boco

QUOTE]Originally posted by ro2dawn

a progam that failed internationally too..if you keep up with current events! also a computer lab makes much more sense.....labtop without wireless internet aint nothing more than just a tool to play with...please! unu give the government a break to go thru all the corruption and money stolen form public funds so they can decide what they have left that be used to benefit the people!

mahogany sister said:
QUOTE]Originally posted by ro2dawn
a progam that failed internationally too..if you keep up with current events! also a computer lab makes much more sense.....labtop without wireless internet aint nothing more than just a tool to play with...please!

I agree with everything MS stated!!!!!

To me this promise is no different than saying a free car to every family.

Sure you can find a cheap car made in china and you can argue that making sure everyone has a car is a good thing especially for people who live on the road, but the question is, whether that is the best option. The answer is clearly no.

The money that can be spent on buying, maintaining and repairing tons of mediocre laptops, can be used to get a solid computer lab in every school. (To continue my analogy, good buses can be used instead of buying everybody cheap cars. Just dont put the novelo's brothers in charge of the buses :smoke )

boco

bocojeck said:

boco

Really ? I see goldmine written all over. Please,tell me: Does every school with a computer lab have armed security guards patrolling the premises after school is out?

Re: But Zee...... I like you asw a human being but..

mellowman said:
Reply: You sound like av retarded PuP azzhole who have hurt all the people of Belize... Ok... so you are feeling horrible that Udp liberated the poor people of Belize... Get a life Zee..... The looting is over, exploitation is no more zee.... its over my bwoi!

Here you go again insulting me instead of addressing the issue.

And once again, I am relieved that the UDP is in power. I am optimistic. It is a new day for Belizeans. If things don't work out in their first term, i feel confident in a new PUP leadership to do right by the people.

Re: Re: Re: But Zee...... I like you asw a human being but..

mellowman said:
reply: But ZEE P........ It took the PUP 10 YEARS TO SEND BELIZE INTO NEAR 4 BILLION INDEBTED.... Are you trying to insult educated Belizeans or are you just acting like EDDY ZEFFERINO CLOUDINO COLEMAN??? OK, YOU ARE JUST MAKING JOKES....

Lets get serious for a minute, are you sayiNG that if the UDP cannot undue all the criminal deeds of the PUP... -and within 4 years that we should follow you and restore the PUP to power-

BWOI, ARE YOU JSUT PLAIN STUPID OR WHAT?

Tell me Mellowman, since you seem to have a handle on things, how much time should the people of Belize give the newly elected UDP government to restore Belize back to Utopia?

Answer me that.

And let's set the record straight. I am not expecting miracles from the UDP ( although many were led to believe it would have been an overnight thang). God knows they have their work cut out for them. If they can keep themselves stain-free with a few promises fulfilled on record within their term, then they deserve a second term in office.

Re: To Complete a dirty clean up job "as such" left by the PUP...

mellowman said:
It can be done as quickly as the PUP minister are indicted, given a fair trial and return all the hundreds of Millions that were stolen...

Public assets which was unlawfully sold off must also be return to the Belizean People and the Nation.... It can be done in 120 days if the Prime Minister would immediately determine that it is vital to hold these crooks acountable....

I agree with you that the PUP CROOKS should be immediately given idictment and a day in court! Do you agree with me that these crooks should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years??? Be honest zee-P

One hundred twenty days,huh?

:thinking I am not sure i can agree with that but I do lean - as i always have - on the unbiased and intelligent insights from our more astute members.

i am a big fan of Baldhead,Miser, Sweetlime,Belisisimo and Bocojeck,and if they agree ,hey, that's good news for the citizens of belize. :bravo

To your second question, if the glove fit, we must admit. :smoke

Re: Re: Re: To Complete a dirty clean up job "as such" left by the PUP...

mellowman said:
reply: Trust me zeeP, if all the stolen money and assets can be confiscated/ recovered by this New UDP Government. Most of Belize's debt would be solve and if the guilty parties are all jailed according to their crimes, then most Of Belize's top problem would be solved....

With all the head crooks pup going to jail, hundred of millions recovered... Most of the nations problem would be solve.... The Money can create new jobs, job training and education....

Justice my brother ZeeP

The bottom line is ,we need both parties. i will continue to support the PUP party. Please don't interpret that to mean I support or condone corruption. i don't. i love Belize and it's encouraging to see democracy at work.

Francis Fonseca or Mark Espat may become the new leader of the Party. This heralds a new era in Belizean politics. i know both these gentlemen personally and if need be , the next time around, I'll be in town giving my support. :peace

zpania said:
Really ? I see goldmine written all over. Please,tell me: Does every school with a computer lab have armed security guards patrolling the premises after school is out?

I have to admit, I am not following your logic or argument.

We agree that providing computer/internet access to our kids is becoming a necessity if we expect them to be competetive in this world.

RELATIVE to laptops, desktop are easier to secure.

So to take it to the extreme you seem to taking, yes it easier to protect 100 desktops in a computer lab than it is to protect 100 laptops in the hands of kids.

boco

I'll be honest, I regard my self as an open minded voter. I really have no allegiance to any party.

That said, I cannot see my self EVER voting for anyone who was part of this past PUP cartel.

If for some reason we needed a change in the future I would vote for VIP or probably not vote again instead of voting for those crooks.

In sum, I would NEVER PUP unless they had all new people. In my opinion, the "new" leadership in PUP was part and parcel of the problems we have had. I have no reason to think they will be any diferent in the future

boco

Re: To Complete a dirty clean up job "as such" left by the PUP...

mellowman said:
It can be done as quickly as the PUP minister are indicted, given a fair trial and return all the hundreds of Millions that were stolen...

Public assets which was unlawfully sold off must also be return to the Belizean People and the Nation.... It can be done in 120 days if the Prime Minister would immediately determine that it is vital to hold these crooks acountable....

I agree with you that the PUP CROOKS should be immediately indicted and given a day in court! Do you agree with me that these crooks should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years if found guilty??? Be honest zee-P

Melllow, I agree with you for the most part. I think it will be an uphill battle for the UDP to get anybody convicted. I pressed this question to an attorney when I was there in Belize and they went as far as saying its very unlikley.

The problem is our antiquated system presumes that ministers will be honest and scrupulous. As such the systems vest almost absolute powers in the Minster. For eg the minster has the power to grant govt lands whether at fair value or not. So it may not be enough to show that the minister gave a way the land. You may have to show that he somehow benefited. Thats gonna tough!!

For example look at how overnight the dishonerable florencio marin sold all our oil rights from sarstoon to rio hondo. They were never bidded out to see what they could attract. He just made his selection on his own am sure based on who paid him under the table. The problem is the law seems to grant him that power unless it can be shown that he benefited.

If this was in the US. These guys would already be in their yellow suits. :enough

Its a tough lesson to learn but one we may have to swallow. In all fairness UDP is trying but not sure how successful they will be. Plus you have to weigh the costs of prosecuting these cases against the likelihood of success.

boco

very well said Boco....I believe one of the immediate challenges ahead is the society of lawless individuals that have trickled down from the last administration. That is a challege that the Hon. Perdomo will now have to tackle. Action must be swift and immediate....we need to curb the level of violence....I believe repeal the gun law and make it illegal for everyone, except law enforcement and military to possess a gun........I mean everyone....I mean I hear guns stolen, etc etc etc......we dont even have fights anymore without a gun play happening.

Make it crime that affects not only the small man on the street but some of these gun dealers no doubt masking themselves as legitimate.......

Another issue...bring back the death penalty...Trinidad executed 9 people one day....and sometimes draconian measures are needed to curb societies appetite for such violence.

Third is a breaddown of the police force....not one central command but precincts with a commander in every precincnt..... have homeowners associations and community policing and no one man in charge of police but several task force implemented in each neighbourhood, constituency that would be better equipped to investigage and pinpoint the criminal elements.........

bocojeck said:
I have to admit, I am not following your logic or argument.

We agree that providing computer/internet access to our kids is becoming a necessity if we expect them to be competetive in this world.

RELATIVE to laptops, desktop are easier to secure.

So to take it to the extreme you seem to taking, yes it easier to protect 100 desktops in a computer lab than it is to protect 100 laptops in the hands of kids.

boco

Actually,it's not about logic or argument but rather - fact. It's no secret that there have been incidents of burglaries at schools with computer labs. No surprise in that given the economic situation in Belize. Those who are poor and desperate will do criminal acts even to those who have been good to them.

Now, I must say, you are the one who is offering an argument or logic for children carrying laptops to and from school since there has never been such a program in the history of Belize therefore no incidents reported of such loss. What makes you think this will happen? :smoke Ya, ya... I am being silly. :party i expect a "Duh!!!" answer. It is obvious if thieves have been known to "relieve" school kids of their ipods and iphones then we can only expect the same with the laptops.

(Gee, why didn't i think of that one before. There goes my bright idea.)

I cannot help but to wonder at what rate this would be happening ,and where. i guess we'll never find out . Maybe some other country with conditions similar to Belize might be able to provide us with that statistic.

I am curious though, at the security measures schools take to prevent the loss of their computers. Maybe you can drop me a lil assurance info ,Boco. Whadda ya say?
:beerchug

Zpania

You really should stop smoking that green stuff!

Boco

bocojeck said:
Zpania

You really should stop smoking that green stuff!

Boco

Now,now, that wasn't very nice. For you to dismiss my diligent attempt at a meaningful discussion with such an insinuation reflects
only arrogance. you know, the good people
at this Web site are incredibly smart and they might not wanna forgive this egregious transgression you've committed against me. Obviously , you have hurt my feelings and I have to admit , I am not following your logic or argument on this one. No sir, not on this one. :noway

:D

Back