Hurricane Irma!

belizean

Admin
Staff member
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Hurricane Irma grew into a dangerous Category 5 storm, the most powerful seen in the Atlantic in over a decade, and roared toward islands in the northeast Caribbean Tuesday on a path that could eventually take it to the United States.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Irma was a "potentially catastrophic" storm with maximum sustained winds of 180 mph (285 kph) as it bore down on the twin-island nation of Antigua and Barbuda. It was centered about 225 miles (365 kilometers) east of Antigua in the late morning and moving west at 14 mph (22 kph).

The center said there was a growing possibility that the storm's effects could be felt in Florida later this week and over the weekend, though it was still too early to be sure of its future track: "Everyone in hurricane-prone areas should ensure that they have their hurricane plan in place."

Irma's center was expected to move over portions of the northern Leeward Islands late Tuesday and early Wednesday, the hurricane center said. The eye was then expected to pass about 50 miles (80 kilometers) from Puerto Rico late Wednesday.

Irma is the strongest Atlantic hurricane since Rita in 2005, officials said.

"Puerto Rico has not seen a hurricane of this magnitude in almost 100 years," Carlos Anselmi, a National Weather Service meteorologist in San Juan, told The Associated Press.

It sounds like Puerto Rico dodged a bullet with Irma. I have communicated with a couple of people we met back in April and things could have been much worse. There certainly is damage, particularly in the NE, but nothing like some of the other islands hit. My wife is now kind of nervous about us retiring there but I am still looking forward to it, one day.

I hope everyone here is well!

Hi everyone, it's been a looooong time since I've logged in here. Hope that everyone's doing ok. Special thoughts and prayers to Mosquitorose, belizegirl, David , aria and others who reside in Florida.

I hope that Hurricane Irma will eventually weaken before making landfall and that everyone is safe.

Hey my pips, I am fine. We live on a hill, had all the windows shuttered, camp stove, battery operated fans. We lost power for 5 days but we managed quite well. No damage at all just debris and leaves.......I wonder about
BZ

Back