Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermath of Hurricane Richard.

Aftermath of Hurricane Richard.

Hurricane Richard

(CNN) -- Hurricane Richard weakened to a tropical storm over northwestern Guatemala early Monday as it pelted at least four Latin American nations with heavy winds and rains, the National Hurricane Center reported.

Forecasters said the storm would continue to lose steam as it treks through Guatemala and Mexico, and finally into the southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

At 5 a.m. ET, Richard was packing winds of 65 mph (100 kph) as it headed west-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph). The eye of the storm was about 170 miles (275 km) south-southeast of Campeche, Mexico, the hurricane center said.

The Belize National Emergency Management Organization said Sunday all public buses have stopped running and advised private cars to also get off the road.

It urged people living in Dangriga, a town in southern Belize, and in vulnerable parts of Belize City to seek shelter immediately. All vessels should remain in port, the organization also advised.

Belize, a small country in Central America popular among tourists for its pristine beaches and coral reefs, has a hurricane warning in effect, the National Hurricane Center reported, although it said those conditions have likely diminished.

Along with strong winds, the main threat from Richard is the large amounts of rain it will dump on Belize and the Yucatan Peninsula. It is expected to produce three to six inches of rain with local amounts totaling 10 inches. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides, especially in the mountainous terrain.

Mexico's Civil Protection Agency said parts of the peninsula were reporting tropical storm-force winds early Monday.

Official reports in our Weather forum: http://www.belizeans.com/forums/foru...torm-Hurricane
    Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belizeans
    Tweet us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/belizeans

Love FM has good reports: http://www.belizeans.com/radio.htm

The storm known as Richard intensified in the Caribbean from a tropical storm into a Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph, the National Hurricane Center reported.

Hurricane Richard was located off the northeast coast of Honduras, moving west-northwest at 12 mph Sunday morning, the center said.

The storm is forecast to continue to strengthen, possibly becoming a Category 2 hurricane before it reaches the coast of Belize by Sunday evening.

Along with hurricane force winds, the main threat from the slow-moving Richard is the large amounts of rain it will dump on Belize and the Yucatan Peninsula. It is expected to produce three to six inches of rain with local amounts totaling 10 inches. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides, especially in the mountainous terrain.

Hurricane Richard is expected to weaken over land and reemerge in the Bay of Campeche as a tropical depression. Conditions are not favorable for redevelopment in the extreme southwestern Gulf of Mexico. The National Hurricane Center expects Richard to continue to dissipate into a remnant low.

"It is not a concern for the U.S.," said John Cangialosi with the hurricane center. "Even if it does get into the southern Gulf of Mexico, a very strong wind sheer of that area will continue to weaken the system."

A wind sheer is caused when winds go in different directions, causing the storm to weaken.

WilhelmWaight Guest
    Well every body better get to higher land if they are going to have flash flooding. God Bless you All . for us here in Florida its like a little Rain Storm ,but you never Know, so we should all say a prayer since we all have a Family Member in the City of Belize.

WW .Stay indoors an Batten the Hatches , Good Luck to All.

Latest UpdateMon, Oct 25, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
    CategoryTropical Storm
    Wind Speed45 mph
    Pressure1005 mbLatitude17.7° N
    Longitude89.9° W
    MovementWNW at 9 mphNext UpdateMon, Oct 25, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Princess Guest

Unhappy

YESTERDAY -------->

Hurricane Richard slammed into Belize at approximately 6 in the evening today as a Category One Storm. Most of the hurricane effects are being felt on the coastal areas of Belize and approximately three thousand people including tourists are in shelters countrywide. Hurricane Richard has caused extensive damage so far, downing trees, power lines closing down roads and highways and destroying houses.

All of Belize is without power. Electricity was first lost in the entire southern Toledo District from 5 pm local time. This was followed by Belize City, then Western and Northern Belize.

Electrical power was lost in the Belmopan, capital of Belize at 7:30 p.m. tonight as the government earlier this year had decommissioned the capital’s backup diesel generating station. All cable stations are offline now due to the power outages.

The only media online at time are Love FM (radio) and Belize.com (web) both running on independent generator and internet service.
    At 9 pm local time Richard is crossing Belize approximately 10 miles south of Belmopan with ferocious winds and rain and the city is in utter darkness except for a few embassies and private businesses that have their own backup generators for critical communications needs. One commentator on radio stated it must be frightening to be enduring a hurricane in darkness – especially for folks in low income homes or in shelters that do not have backup power.

- -- - - - - - - - - - >

Dear Friends of St Stephen's Monkey River,

You will be happy to hear that in the south, we have been spared the ravages of Hurricane Richard tonight. Here in Monkey River, all is calm, as is Placencia and Punta Gorda, so there are no fears for St. Joseph's Preschool or St John's memorial Primary and Preschool. I am hoping Christ the King primary in Dangriga will be safe also.

For those interested, you can follow progress on www.lovetv.com.bz, go to the bottom of the page and click alternative streaming.

We will surely need help with our schools in the centre and north of the country, the storm has slapped Belize City right in the teeth. I will be updating you with news as soon as the situation is clear.

Please hold us in your thoughts and prayers tonight.

Repost from Ray Auxillou: Bz-culture mailing list:

Out in the Twin Towns out West, the television channels were going off cable one by one, until by 8 p.m. only Love FM continued to the end of electricity about 8.30 p.m. Since then we have been without electricity, without BTL internet and this morning about 7 a.m. the BWS water system went down and no water flow in the faucets. One would have expected BEL crews to be out fixing things in the dark, after the storm passed out WEST here. Either they didnīt go out, or they had more problems than they can handle,as no electricity yet.
    Iīm using battery power for my computer and thank heavens I did not give up my SMART MODEM yet. Have decided to keep it, as it is the only telecommunications system working. BTL apparently broke down for some strange reason? Just came back to the computer room and checked on the markets and have a signal for a trade, so just put a trade on for $2500 usa. Will click off shortly to preserve my battery as I donīt need the computer probably for another couple of hours. It is 10.20 a.m. here.

What it is now/the storm in city

When we left you on Friday night, Richard was a tropical storm meandering in the Caribbean; tonight, the country is recovering from his wrath: Hurricane Richard was no joke…..
    For those living in parts of Southern, Central and Western Belize, the storm was a terror, descending with merciless winds and hammering the Belize district coast for 6 hours.

Happily, there is no loss of life but there is substantial damage to sections of the country in the Belize City, Cayo and Stann Creek Districts - and as we broadcast this tonight we know that most of our viewers in Belize City, Cayo and Stann Creek can't see the news because power has not been restored. We'll have the full official assessment coming up a little later, but we begin our team coverage with the storm's landfall.

The eye of Hurricane Richard made landfall south southwest of Belize City at about 6:00 on Sunday evening with maximum sustained winds of 90 miles per hour, making it a category one storm.

The storm force winds started descending on the city around 2:00 pm - and our team was on the ground. Jules Vasquez and Monica Bodden teamed up for this story:….

At around 3 in the afternoon - with these flags above the courthouse getting a workout, Police guarded neighborhood supermarkets to avoid any pre storm antics - and police also guarded this gas station.

These shelterers were turned away from Grace Primary - while at St. John's Vianney these folks were loading up - and in the Yabra area - these folks were shuttering up.

The marine parade area was gusty - while the waters thick with sewage were vile and black with the outer bands upon Belize, the seawall near lover's point in the king's park area was getting turbulent. An hour later - the same area was piping heavy winds and the storm was driving across marine parade in sheets - a fog of pure force of the tide - as the storm's spume sprayed the area.

Back to the lover's point area - it had gone from wavy to wild - with deep bilious waves and biting winds

Jules Vasquez
    "Here at St. Edward Street you can't see anything, the waters are turbid, we were here an hour ago, it's now 4 minutes to 4 we were here an hour ago and it was just a little rough but now its unmanageable. The rains are singing the winds are in excess of 40 miles an hour, its crazy out here and the eye has not arrived yet."

At the other end of that seafront street - the fury of the storm - was something to behold - waves crashed in explosive surges - and the street flowed like a river…

One Princess Margaret drive this nurse was running home through fallen fronds - and at 5:00 pm this phase two flag at the Belcan roundabout was in tatters and this billboard had already been blown away - while this one just toppled over. And down the street at Malic's poultry this sign was impaled on a sign post - while the main sing was adrift like a kite… Speaking of kites, the flag at the Taiwanese embassy was reduced to a rag. To show you how quickly conditions deteriorated, this was the area in front of the Fort Street tourism village at 5:00 pm and half an hour later - this was how it looked tents dragged into the street.

But these folks were undaunted - they wanted a walk on the wild side and wild it was with the storm surge now flailing over the marine parade seawall.

Down the street - the zinc sheeting at the MCC was curled up and the trees were battered and broken. At the rock park, the sea spray show was in effect and on St. Thomas Street this sign dangled helplessly. The homeless were also helpless - having to endure the storm - exposed to the elements - conditions so bad it was time for Monica Bodden to take over:

Monica Bodden
    "We are at the height of the storm with 90-100 miles per hour wind. Belize City is being battered by Hurricane Richard."

At that point 5:40 pm - driving down most streets was no longer an option and on Baymen Avenue was impassible because of this massive tree toppling - the same a few blocks away on second street.

The signs were in the streets as the winds wailed down narrow streets - that one fallen this one about to and while we thought that was the height of it - it got significantly worse 40 minutes later - where even doing a standup became near impossible due to the force of wind and rain:

Monica Bodden
    "Its 6:10 pm and the most accurate is that the eye of the storm is over Belize City but as you can see there is no calm."

And no calm and no shelter.

And about an hour and a half after that your waterlogged camera and light failed and we had to go in.

We note that after our team was forced to retire by waterlogged equipment - they almost became news themselves as they got trapped in fast rising waters at 8:00 pm on Marine Parade. Jules Vasquez and Monica Bodden had to call on the Lo-Boy form city council to come and rescue them after their pickup became submerged.

They were promptly rescued and were high and dry shortly after - but that wasn't the only bit of storm misfortune that struck channel 7. Our broadcasting tower at our mile one a half transmission site was tugged down when a massive tree fell unto one of the guy wires and it caused the tower to buckle and collapse unto a high tension wire. It became mangled because the guy wires on the other side held up - creating a most unusual sight. But that's no consolation to us as it has crippled our broadcasting service and made it difficult to restore power form the mains. So if you're seeing this tonight - you are doing so through our fiber optic network with our cable providers. Some of those fiber lines were also damaged when the tower fell on them - so at this time Central Cable has not been reconnected, only CBC and Southern Cable - but we are working to restore all options at this time - so please bear with us.

Storm stories…..
    posted (October 25, 2010)
    Email
    Print
    And just like that was our storm story - everyone in the city - particularly those on the coast have one.
    The City hadn't been hit by a storm dead-on since Hattie in 1961 - so most of the residents of the country's most populous municipality have no idea what a hurricane means. And for those who survived Hattie, a category 5 storm, well they figured at a mere category one, Richard couldn't be all that bad.

But the storm exceeded expectation, particularly in terms of storm surge. And in the yabra area that's pelt out disaster. Many of those homes are plywood or board and they are directly on the coast. When the storm it and the rising waters followed it was chaos for those resident's Monica Bodden spoke to a number of them today:….

Victim of Hurricane Richard
    "Last night when I look I see a building of mines just take away into the next building as you can see it back there; it destroyed most of the rooms that people are living in. Right now most of them lost partly everything, up to about 5-6 feet of gushing water from the sea."

Monica Bodden
    "Have you ever experience a hurricane before? "

"I never, I only experience maybe storm, with Greta and a little storm in the 80s but nothing like this."

Monica Bodden
    "You didn't expect it to be this bad."

"I never really expect it. I know when I hear about a category 1 I hear that it wouldn't be devastated hurricane."

"Frustrated."

Monica Bodden
    "Where do you go from here?"

"Well I don't know. I have to just try and rebuild."

Monica Bodden
    "What all did you loss."

"My pot, stove refridge, everything that I use to do my little business because I do a small business by Palm Island; I cook rice and beans & cow foot soup and sell there. I just have to try to rebuild and pick up the pieces from there."

Monica Bodden
    "I am looking outside and I see your cooler, your table, your step....."

"My fire heart that I use to cook my cow foot; everything is just gone."

Monica Bodden
    "How are you feeling right now?"

"Bad....emotional but you have to try be strong, you have life and you have to just left everything else to God. Without he we can't get anything. We have heath and strength we have life so I think we will make it. Somebody might be out there to try and assist me and help me at least to get back my pot, the stove, the refridge, I need those to start all over again. So anybody out there who know the niceness of the rice & beans and the cow foot, try reach out for me - Ms. Gayna."

"I feel bad because it's God's work yes but I mean to say to see the condition of the house is in because its only me alone I don't have a husband to try clean up and so."

Monica Bodden
    "Everywhere is full up with mud?"

"Yes the bedrooms both of them are full of mud."

Monica Bodden
    "Where do you go from here?"

"Well I have to try and sleep here. We don't have any water as yet. My neighbor told me that he went to get salt water to wash out the mud from his house, that's is the same thing I want to do before the mud gets hard because we don't know when the water will come on."

Monica Bodden
    "This is where your house was right?"

"Yes this same spot that we are standing here my house was. My house gone completely; See my flooring over there on the ground. That is my house top over there it was on top of another house that was crush. I just remove my house top from his house so that he could have moved his things. See my TV, stove over there, everything is broken up. Right now I am here and I want to build back something because my girlfriend is pregnant and I don't have anywhere to stay. I don't have anyone that I can stay right now. I am dread right now."

Monica Bodden
    "So you don't have anywhere to go right now?"

"There is nowhere we can stay right now. And If I wanted to built back something a small room from the little that is left I can't because I don't have any money not even to buy nail."

"I am trying to get back on my foot so that I can have somewhere to stay. I am trying to get back by any means."

"All what I need is an assistance because right now I don't have anywhere to stay and I am a musician and I lost my drums."

Monica Bodden
    "Your whole house gone?"

"Definitely, I would appreciate a help from anybody who could assist me."

Monica Bodden
    "So nothing didn't stay, everything just gone?"

"Everything just wash away, I was right here too in that house."

"Well see my house the little grey one. This house was all the way over here. The sea came up and takes the house away. So it's just a little assistance we need."

"I might could be a man who can build a hammock in a tree and relax there once it's not raining but I can't have my girlfriend living in that way. I have to try and secure her someway safe when she wants to use the bathroom, have a nice safe bathroom that she can use. So I need that little assistance, anything that it takes to happen I will try help myself or if someone is there who can help me I will make them help me but you know how things go they usually say if people don't help you, you help yourself, which means that's it doesn't matter how or what you do to help yourself, you will do it."

Monica Bodden
    "But emotionally you guys lose everything, you are just standing up on a spot where your house was. What's that like? You will have to start over."

"It really dread and it's very hard for you to think about just doing things upon your own self. We would really appreciate the help."

Victim of Hurricane Richard "We didn't realize that the water was rising. My gate pop open and so I plan to get pieces of string because my mind tell me not to use the chain because I don't want to chain in myself so I just take the piece of rope and I tie it and come back in the house, about half an hour later I said let me check outside again; I push it but I can't push the door, anyway I push the door and when I did that the water was already about two and a half feet, so I slam back the door and I tell her that we are in trouble now; the water come. So we just start to pack as much stuff as we can and I got the aluminum ladder and went to the attic. When I came again I wanted to see how far the water had reach, I could open the door at all it was like 3 stringer guys than me had the door clamp down and it was unlock and so we got our main belongings and put them together. I call one of my friend that works with me and he said that he will see how far his diesel van can come but I didn't hear from him again, he was helping because he call for help, but it seems that the water was too high for him to come and rescue. I said that I will give it one last try again and with all my strength I push open the door, the water was already like 4 feet and when I got on the street it was much higher. So we just start to walk in the middle of the street, I look at the sea just boiling over. It felt like you are watching a movie. Before I left I see my car doing a 360 and that was just because of the currents."

Monica Bodden
    "At any point last night you guys thought that well you know this is it we are going to drown."

"No, I tell my friend because I felt that really. When I check the door I say ok that's it but before I will give it one last try and so I gave it one last try and that was it, we break loose and we got through it."

"It was an experience for us that we never experience before because we never see Belize like this before. We always thought that a hurricane was just something that you take for a joke but today we realize this hurricane has given us the full impact that hurricanes are not to play with."

Monica Bodden
    "So you weathered out the storm where?"

"Well I was downstairs and after a period of time we had to move to the upper level of the building."

Monica Bodden
    "Why you guys had to move?"

"Well the water was coming in so rapidly that even the bed was afloat and it was very frightening so this is something that I have to tell my grand children. I would want nobody to experience this type of living that I met when I came back downstairs, the mud was on the bed, my sheets, my clothes, everything was soaking wet, and we lose everything. What you see me wearing is all I have everything is gone, I hope that somebody can help us."

"I was laying down in my bed listening to the music on the radio and I just doze off and I wake up to a lot of water. I open my door and a lot of water splash on me, I had to swim out and I run upstairs to Bishop and ask for help because too much water was coming. This is first hurricane I experience so I don't really know about it."

Monica Bodden
    "Now, in that period of time that you was listening to the music and doze off. How long would you say before the water got so high?"

"I doze off for 15-20 minutes before I conscious that water was running and water in the hall way. Everything is wet up, the TV, everything gone."

Monica Bodden
    "So when you jump out of bed how high did the water reach you?"

"You can see the water level right there, it covered my bed."

Monica Bodden
    "It's your first ever hurricane. What was the experience like for you?"

"It was a bad experience; I hope I don't experience that again because I could have died here last night."

"I was upstairs Miss and I saw the water getting high and my dog was on the chain so I had to go downstairs, the water reach me right here and I had to swim to get my dog because my dog could have drown because the dog was on the chain."

Monica Bodden
    "Was the experience scary for you?"

"Yes ma'am. Miss but I wasn't afraid I just jump off the step and swim for my dog."

"My little girl and I were here and every minute she is peeping outside so I tell her to come in here to help me but she said that she don't want to help me because she is worrying about out there. She said come mom and see how all the sea gone, the water gone to only sand and when we look about halfway it was only land, dry land but I couldn't believe it because I had faith that storm wouldn't come and that it would go like how the others did. I was here trying to pack up things, putting the TV higher and when I peep out again I didn't see any water al all out here but when I when I climb to the window about 15-20 minutes after that is because I couldn't see anything, the electricity had cut off and I hear was blip blip under the house. Then I feel like the house was tearing apart, I hear bops; the back door fly open, we had it jam with 2 cement blocks and the bolt. When this door fly open I tell you I haven't been frightened all my life like that. I quickly ran from here, the stove was right here and the water pick it up and threw on the other side of the house. The water keeps coming in; one instance the water came right over my head. The water start to burst open the door and come in, I see everything start to float about I didn't have any choice all I manage to grab was a white sling bag. We stand up by the door and the house was raking, We were all praying, I couldn't pray anymore because I see all that was happening, I heard crack crack and I say to myself that I didn't have any choice, I had given up, so my baby sit there and said mom no give mom God will help us, so I start to walk up and down in the water while it slams me from side to side. I had to hold on to the things in the house so that I wouldn't end up through the back door. I hug up my baby and said they we will die together because there is no one to rescue us now. My baby said no mom don't give up, remember what you always tell me that you are a fighter; she said pray and she handed me a rosary, both of us hold on to the rosary and we start to pray "Our Father and Hail Mary" so after a little while I heard noises out there, the door was forcing its way to close and I was trying to pull it open, I heard my neighbor mouth and they were coming through the water to help us and I said thank God we are rescued. That is how they back us out from here."

Monica Bodden
    "Who rescued you?"

"I don't even know, I was so frightened. All I know is that it was 4 men."

And while those are the gripping personal storm accounts - there is also the official side of the story - the cost of Richard and the wide swath of wreckage that he cut - we'll have that when we come back …

NEMO’s Findings
    posted (October 25, 2010)
    Email
    Print
    We've already told you and showed you how the storm battered the city's coast. But like we said Hurricane Richard cut a wide swath across south-central into western Belize, affecting the Stann Creek, Belize and Cayo districts - even jolting Belmopan - which has the legend of being invulnerable to storms. Pretty impressive for a category one storm and Today NEMO held its first press conference less than 24 hours after Richard battered sections of the country. Minister of NEMO, Melvin Hulse told the gathering more about the Richard effect :
    Minister Melvin Hulse, Minister of NEMO
    "We are going to get a cost for our people. We flew over, yes we have identified in preliminary stages, we took care of about 4,000 people last night. And Judith who was really there, so anybody who knows of family that needs relief assistant you can coordinate with Ms. Alpuche she is the CEO of Human Resources. We have to do it, we can't have lines cross, we have to have clear lines of implementation because we have to account and we have to reach everybody, that is the fact of life and there are some people about 100 people who do not have a home to go back to so Judith will be taking care of them until such time, there are appropriate place to put them. The fact is that we have had over 200 people that got affected already. We are talking about a few areas that I will identify up in Belize Rural, we have in Hattieville and Gracie Rock and we have in Gales Point, Mullings River, we got up in Cayo we got several villages. There was one last night in Roaring Creek and I know that there is a tremendous amount back in Cohune Walk, San Martin, Las Flores, Salvapan and Maya Mopan."

While all those areas were affected, National Coordinator of NEMO Noreen Fairweather says that based on information to the National EOC and aerial reconnaissance, the preliminary estimates of damage are in the millions, which doesn't include damage to the tourism industry and the loss of utilities, particularly electricity:

Noreen Fairweather, National Coordinator of NEMO
    "We have in term of damages to homes over 150-200 homes. we are looking at some preliminary figures around 3.6 million dollars. Recover works and when I say recovery works speaking to specifically the basic clearing of the roads and highways, the removal of the trees and debris and putting things back in order countrywide not recovery in terms of replacing any structural work that may have been done on our road network, bridges, culverts etc. this is just recovery for removal of debris and other things that are blocking the roads and in the city etc. Our estimate for that is around a million dollars. Throughout the passage of Hurricane Richard we had over 4,600 plus people in shelter. Unfortunately with some of those houses going down and people losing roof, sidings, there after persons that we will have to continue to accommodate and support in shelter with some sort of relief supplies; feeding and bedding. We have an estimate of about $100,000.00 that will meet those expenses given a certain timeframe. We feel that we can get them back to some semblance of normalcy. The citrus industry really took a great hit, when we flew over this morning. When we fly over the orchards it looks great but as the chopper went down all the fruits were on the ground; all the grapefruits and all the oranges were literally on the ground. The trees are up, a couple went down but all the fruits were on the ground. We gave an initial estimate and after speaking to the people from the industry they had narrowed it down, they are a little bit hesitant to come up with some figures for us obviously they were doing their assessments and so on but at the end of the day our ballpark estimate base on their experience we came up to 29.1 million dollars loss in the citrus industry."

In the face of all that destruction as we try to pick up the pieces one thing remains clear, no lives were lost, said Prime Minister Barrow, who gave his word on helping Belizeans to recover from their loss in Hurricane Richard:

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
    "I have re-confirmed with the minister and with the NEMO director that there is no death that is directory attributable to Hurricane Richard so we've come through this thing without loss of life and for that I think we must be extremely grateful. My job really is to find the money. My job really is to assure all those that have been affected especially in terms of their homes having been destroyed or their roofs having been flown off or at least zincs on the roofs having been lifted off. My job is to assure these people that each and every last one of them will have his or her home repaired or rebuilt as the case may be. Don't press me too hard on where the money is going to come from but I make a solemn commitment that in fact from the various sources that we have already look at we are going to find the money. we of course sympathize greatly with those that have suffered this kind of damage to their homes and to their property I want them to know that in addition to reconstructing homes or repairing homes for as long as is necessary NEMO is determined to assist in others ways; to assist with the where it all to assist with food packages, the people that were in the shelters throughout the country, in most cases were given a meal and this kind of outreach, this kind of assistance, this kind of looking after the welfare of our people will continue."

+ Reply to Thread