Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you get vex when people say Belizean creole is not a language?

Re: but if you spoke Japanese of Italian to me slowly I still wouldn't know what the heck you're saying because those are unique languages,
    Languages evolve and change. Creole is english based so slowing it down may help you a little. Italian is similar to spanish. "Broken" is a negative connotation that doesn't apply. If so be the case American english is broken english compared to "Old English", and not the 40oz malt liquor needa.
    Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belizeans
    Tweet us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/belizeans

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belizean View Post
    ... If so be the case American english is broken english compared to "Old English", and not the 40oz malt liquor needa.
    It sounds like you might be throwing back a forty right now, hahaha... cause your analogy sounds like drunking man logic.

This was your funniest line:

Italian is similar to spanish. "Broken" is a negative connotation that doesn't apply.
    That still doesn't mean I would understand Italian if you spoke it slowly, lol... And how is the word "broken" a negative connotation towards Creole English when it is what it is?

belizean Creole is not a language. Its a dialect, simply as that...

Zen, since italian is not english based you wouldn't understand. But speaking italian slow to a spanish speaking person and you'll get about 30% of its meaning. And no, I nuh drink Old English, I drink "Mickeys Big Mouth" like mi pa used to.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    belizean Creole is not a language. Its a dialect, simply as that...
    Since the entire region (country) of Belize mostly speaks creole then it's not a dialect.

zenflower Guest
    Since Panya pipple di tek ovva Belize, soon fi we lee Creole will be obsolete.

Zen, since italian is not english based you wouldn't understand. But speaking italian slow to a spanish speaking person and you'll get about 30% of its meaning. And no, I nuh drink Old English, I drink "Mickeys Big Mouth" like mi pa used to.
    This is kind of what I was trying to get after when I asked if Belizean Creole speakers could understand Haitian Creole speakers. Again, I know there are different flavors of Creole, but I was wondering if there is a central part of the language that would make it possible to understand part of it at least, whether you are coming from the English side or the French side.
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

No English and French are too part apart.

To be honest, Mestizo in Belize are way more true to the Creole dialect... Honestly, we have nothing to fear from Belize's hispanic population cause they are just as Nationalistic to Belize as most of us are...
    Belize is more united on the issue of Sovereinty as our Northern neighbours are!
    Belize today, tomorrow and forever!

zenflower Guest
    This is like Abbott and Costello's who's on first, what's on second routine. I thought I answered Jim lang time ago, lol... Jim in Belize we do not speak French. Therefore, our Creole would not be the same as the Hatians or those from Lousiana whose Creole is from a French origin. We don't even share similiar words if thats what you were asking. Belizean creole is nothing more than broken English. Don't let Surfa confuse you wid all kinda simmee-dimmee, hahaha.

The majority of Belizean words are all English words with our Belizean accent on them, but there are some words that are like slang words that you would have to get accustomed to. Like how I used that word "simmee-dimmee" , it doesn't mean a darn thing in English, but most Belizeans would know it means something like "crazy, mixed-up foolishness".

If you ever decide to move there, you would eventually get accustomed to the lingo.

I would more lean to agree that Creole is a language with the various regions having their own dialect of that language. When I was growing up the way we spoke creole in the city took on another flavor when a someone from the country (villages) were speaking. Even though they used same or similar words, the accent on pronunciation and unique words made it seem as a dialect to the creole language.

that's why to this day some people say "lawd they only sound country". Same difference being made here in America when we hear a southerner or hillbilly speak. Not only do they speak English/American words with an accent but they also have their unique dialect.

Jim - Louisiana term for creoles are a mixture of french/black while for Belizeans is english/black.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

Ok, I think I've got it. Yes, what I was trying to get at is whether the different versions of Creole shared common words beyond the English or French or what ever it is based around, and I guess they don't.

And, I would tend to agree with BZ that Creole is a language (though not a single language in and of itself), but that it also has various dialects depending on where someone is from. At least that makes sense to my mind.
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

Quote Originally Posted by black_butterfly View Post
    I am sitting here having this same debate with my Mom. LOL She does not believe Creole is a language, but rather broken English. I have a question, though- why is Creole called Creole when it is so different from what is spoken in other areas?
    Creole means a mix....a mix of people who speak their own version of the english language...for instance: Remember a lot of creoles weren't educated and had problems understanding the english, so they say it the way they hear it...for instance: The song, Troops Troops passing by was translated as....soup soup supa sky...so it is a broken language. It is English pronounced badly, so it is not a language at all....
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

....soup soup supa sky...

that sounds vaguely familiar...was it a game...? rhyme?
    but the dust on my boots and the rythm of my feet and my heart say africa - vusi mahlasela

...i get a lot of what belizean is saying...

YES, languages do evolve

however i do not think kriol is sufficiently different YET
    to be a language on its own...the majority of words are undeniably ENGLISH.

but... it is in the process of evolving
    into a distinct language...

hahaha mekka get outta ya bifore ah get cuss owt...
    but the dust on my boots and the rythm of my feet and my heart say africa - vusi mahlasela

+ Reply to Thread