Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you get vex when people say Belizean creole is not a language?

Hybrid View

Do you get vex when people say Belizean creole is not a language?

Do you get vex when people say Belizean creole is not a language?

They say it's a dialect or a slang like ebonics, but I say it's a unique language. If people can't understand it then it's a language!
    Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belizeans
    Tweet us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/belizeans

WilhelmWaight Guest
    Ya right dey na undastand di language den wi mess deh up , its a unique language ,so if deh na like it too bad!!
    WW Belizean Cruffy got deh own language!!

zenflower Guest
    The Creole dialect is just plain broken English thats grammatically incorrect for the sake of making it brawd Creole that only we could understand, so maybe thats why some are calling it Ebonics because if you clean up the grammar and lighten up the tongue it becomes English again, lol... I know when some people speak it too too fast I can't keep up and don't know what the heck they're saying.

I remember years ago I was in line at a fast food place, and there were two Belizean ladies in front of me talking some of the brawdest Creole I had ever heard, and they spoke it so fast that the whole sentence sounded like just one word, hahaha. Dey mid di talk bout the cashier girl having on way too much makeup on her face because the girl had on some bright colors of eye shadow and blush on her cheeks to where she looked like a clown. And right in front of the girls face they said very loud and fast: "lookhowfishefacelightuplikeChrismusstree". I had to slow it down in my head to ketch it, and the girl said "say it again?" cause she thought she missed their order, and they said to her "oh we said you look pretty", lol...

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belizeans.com View Post
    The subject title is being displayed in the thread also.
    But the line appears twice in the thread, so whats the purpose of the second one?

zenflower Guest
    Speaking of language, why are the recent threads repeating the same title two or three times like yu di stamma? Dah, dah, dah weh dat?

The subject title is being displayed in the thread also.

Creole is not a language!!!! who get vex just mek them get vex lmao

Re: The Creole dialect is just plain broken English thats grammatically incorrect
    &
    Creole is not a language!!!!
    I beg to differ. It’s not broken English. If so be the case then Spanish from Mexico is broken Spanish. The fact is Belizean creole is a distinct language that incorporate many English words. The same way American English incorporate words from greek, latin, etc.
    Cruffies are quick to put down their own tongue by saying it’s not a language. For example: “Weh unni di do”, is not broken for “what are you all doing?”. Or “how much a’clack” is not broken for “what time is it”. Again, if it was broken, then speaking it really slow would make an English person understand it, but because you still have to translate, it’s a unique language.

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belizean View Post
    &
    I beg to differ. It's not broken English. If so be the case then Spanish from Mexico is broken Spanish. The fact is Belizean creole is a distinct language that incorporate many English words. The same way American English incorporate words from greek, latin, etc.
    Cruffies are quick to put down their own tongue by saying its not a language.
    Sounds like you're saying two different things. It sounds like you're saying Creole is not broken English but derive from English words, but yet it is it's own language.

I still say it's nothing more than broken English spoken with our own dialect or accent just as Jamacians and West Indians have their own accent on their broken English. In formal writing, it is still written as English words for all the Caribbean countries regardless of how it's spoken. And to answer your other comment regarding Spanish, not all Spanish countries speak their Spanish the same either. They too have their own unique accents in different parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by belizean View Post
    Again, if it was broken, then speaking it really slow would make an English person understand it, but because you still have to translate, it’s a unique language.
    Hahaha.... now you're starting to sound like Zpania, lol... and yes speaking Creole slower does allow an English person to understand the majority of the words if you remove the slang terms, but if you spoke Japanese of Italian to me slowly I still wouldn't know what the heck you're saying because those are unique languages, lol... Then you said, "...but because you still have to translate, its a unique language." What???? That does not make it a unique language. There are some people right here in America from the south that I need to get a proper translation of what they're saying, and some tv shows might even show the captions underneath on the TV screen, but that doesn't mean they too are speaking "a unique language" because it requires translation. Its just them having an accent!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belizean_Creole

Belizean Creole English, known as Kriol by its speakers, is an English-based creole language most closely related to Miskito Coastal Creole, Limón Coastal Creole, Colón Creole, San Andrés and Providencia Creole, Guyanese Creole, Jamaican Patois and English creoles of the Caribbean show similarity as well. Kriol has about 400,000 speakers, in Belize (where it is the lingua franca and is spoken by 70% of the population) and in the Belizean diaspora, mostly in the United States.[2]

Kriol was historically spoken by the Kriols, a population of mainly African and British ancestry. However, most Belizean Garifunas, Mestizos, Maya, and other ethnic groups speak Kriol as at least a second language, and it is the only true common language among all groups.

I would certainly call Creole a unique language, or languages as there appears to be many flavors of it. What I hear in Belize is nothing like what I hear in Louisianna. And yes, taking it slower and really breakng things down helps me translate from Creole to English since many words are used in common, but that won't get you all the way there. I have to guess about some things based on the context, though I never know for sure if I guessing correctly or not.

Out of curiosity, are Belizean Creole and Haitian Creole very different? Back when the earthquake hit Haiti I was hearing a lot of Creole in the news, but to me it sounded a lot different from what I heard in Belize. I'm not sure if that is because the two are so different, or maybe it was due to differnt "accents" between the two countries???
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

Louisiana and Hati speak a french based criole....
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

I knew Louisianna Creole was based on French, but I didn't know that was the case in Haiti too. So, is it safe to say that Belizean Creole is based on English and Haitian Creole is based on French, so they are two quite distinct languages? Do you who speak Belizean/English based Creole understand people speaking Haitian/French based Creole, or at least for the most part?
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

zenflower Guest
    Jim Belizean Creole is not a French dialect, its just broken English like I said, so no we wouldn't be able to understand the Haitians or Louisiana Creole unless we understood French. Belizean Creole is just like how Jamacians and West Indians speak somewhat of a broken English, but each has its own unique accent, but we all read and write the English language.

black_butterfly Guest
    I am sitting here having this same debate with my Mom. LOL She does not believe Creole is a language, but rather broken English. I have a question, though- why is Creole called Creole when it is so different from what is spoken in other areas?

+ Reply to Thread