Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mental Goes Mainstream

Mental Goes Mainstream

Ch 7:

Mental Goes Mainstream

Mental disorders and conditions are often ignored or swept under the rug in that ugly catch-all bag of "crazy." But the mental health association hopes to change the status quo and bring mental health into the light.
    And if they have their way, they envision a Belizean society where mental illness can be prevented or cured. In its efforts to sensitize and educate the general public about mental disorders and mental health The Belize Mental Health Association, sponsored a speech contest for high school students held at ITVET today. And rightly so, because it's estimated that one out of five school children has a mental disorder that interferes with their ability to learn.

Jenny Lovell, President of Mental Health Association
    "If you look at the number of crimes; the level of crime in the country you will understand that its stems back to mental disorders ok, a lot of children we don't have a treatment facility for children, we don't have a psychiatrist or psychologist dedicated to the needs, mental health needs of children so what happens is that these children drop out of school or they give battery in classes in classes because a lot of them are maybe ADHD, they are conduct disorders, they are oppositional disorders and those things don't mean anything to you but what does mean something is that these children give a lot of problems in classes and a lot of times it's not because they want to its because there is something wrong mentally. They need treatment, they need to be help. So what eventually happens is that these children either drop out of classes; they are kick out of classes; they are expelled out of classes; they are suspended from classes. The point is they are not getting an education because they have something wrong emotionally, behaviorally or mentally. Depression is one of these illnesses that people walk around with and they don't want to talk about it and they don't want to get treated for it because they see it as stigma and discrimination attach to having a mental illness."

Jim McFadzean
    "You spoke today to those groups of students. Was it difficult for you to share your experience with cancer?"

Tishane Williams, Diagnose with cancer
    "No because I want to share my experience with them and what I pass through and then that really didn't make me feel bad about myself."

Jim McFadzean
    "When you were told that you had cancer. How did you deal with it emotionally?"

"I was shock. I didn't believe that doctor and I said like it can't be. But then I got see that the doctor is not saying a lie."

Jim McFadzean
    "How were you able to deal with it emotionally? Were you able to get counseling?"

"Yes, my parents talk to me and they have psychologist at the hospital in Merida and they talk to me."

Jim McFadzean
    "And that help you greatly?"

"Yes."

Jim McFadzean
    "What kind of feedback did you get from the students when you shared your experience with them today?"

"I think they were like surprise because not everybody would come and talk about their sickness and yes I give them some words of encouragement."

World Mental Health Day is being celebrated this Sunday, October 10th.
    Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belizeans
    Tweet us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/belizeans

zenflower Guest
    I wonder if Jenny Lovell who they appointed President of the Mental Health Association has a Phd in Psychology from an accredited University? Im just curious because althought some of the things she says about mental illness may be true, I don't agree with everything she says like this statement she made: "If you look at the number of crimes; the level of crime in the country you will understand that its stems back to mental disorders ok,"... Well I don't belive that everyone thats commiting crimes in Belize like hold ups, robbery, etc. suffers from mental illness, and Im not talking about the criminals that commit murder and extreme violence. But most of the robberys may be due to the economical conditions in the country. And although it is wrong to steal and rob, a lot of these people might just be doing it as a means of survival due to lack of jobs and financial resources. The truth is that the majority of people in Belize are struggling, and the lucky few that do have a good job or a nest egg or family in the States to supplement their income might be the exception. And then there are those who like to pretend that they have it going on and don't like to hear the truth about the economical conditions in Belize. Just like I was referring to the in the Toadeye thread before I got ambushed, but if you keep it real you would realize that the majority of the crime rate ties directly into the economical conditions as oppose to what this Jenny Lovell is saying that crime is happening due to mental illness. To me thats kind of like burying your head in the sand about the real problem, and calling it something else.

zenflower Guest
    If being a THIEF makes you crazy then rass, that explains why a certain someone attacked me yesterday with no warning.

Quote Originally Posted by zenflower View Post
    If being a THIEF makes you crazy then rass, that explains why a certain someone attacked me yesterday with no warning.
    Ah hope yuh ok....

hahahahahah
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

ilam96 Guest
    as a means to survival....? oh please....

zenflower Guest
    Inner cities period all over the world, Belize and here in America are filled with crooks and thieves who either choose not to work or just can't find jobs because there aren't any. So when there is no employment to bring in money, then where do you think they get money to eat and take care of themselves? Crimes like stealing, robbing, selling drugs and weapons. If you don't call that survival then what is it? Im not saying that its right, but thats the reality of the world we live in, and thats whats going on. Some people don't like to face the facts of whats going on, and thats why there is no change. Everyone is pointing fingers at the other, and casting blame and rage, but until something is done about the real problem, its just going to get worse. This lady in charge of Mental Health is just trying to put a label on the issue like a bandaide, but its a lot deeper than that. And those who already have it made can care less because its not their problem. There is a lot of talking, but no real action.

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belizean View Post
    Ah hope yuh ok....
    Hahaha, bwoi I always keep a can of repellent handy for the Crazies when crazyhouse give recess, and I always have fun spraying dem rass like roaches.

GAL DAH WHEY AH DUH TUH YUH MEK YUH DUH MIH DAT.....................

Whey happen Ms. Zennie? Look like I strike ah nerve eena yuh. Fuk woman, you nuh get ova things yet. Rawty hole gal, you unli cud hold malice. WTF? What ah duh tuh yuh mein. Yuh cawn't stand dat me nuh like yuh board personality (and ah seh board becuz me nuh know yuh. fuh all I know, you could be wha seedless lee punk rass man wid nice nice ways! ). Why yuh taking things sooooooooooooo personal? Gal, please. I'm done.........don't loose sleep ova me. I sure as hell ain't loosing none ova you. Come awn mein. Its a lannnnnnnnng weekend. The wedda is awesome and there are lots to do. Tek dih rollas outtah yuh hair, brush yuh teeth, dabb sum grease eena yuh hair, tie ah up wid rubba band, wash yuh coco or tingaling wid some dettol or lime and haul yuh rass outside mein. LIVE, LOVE and LAUGH!!!
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

zenflower Guest
    Gyal yu sound like yu high as a kite again di talk rass, lol... Or is this your attempt to be funny, hahaha. Di lady in charge of Mental Health said all those computers and all the latta "hot stuff" yu have enna yu lee fowl coob is in there due to mental disorders, lol... Go read whe ey sey.

Girl Im not mad at you or anyone else cause Im always having fun and getting a good laugh, but maybe you should change your board name to "HOT STUFF", lol.... that describes you best.

+ Reply to Thread