Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skype

black_butterfly Guest

Question Skype

Anyone have experience using Skype to communicate with family/friends in Belize via computer?

NO, BTL blocks Skype. Even voipstunt.com doesn't work. Try a phonecard from our affiliate: www.phonecheap.net

I use skype. Works good skype-to-skype. But calling with skype from belize to a non skype phone in the US is not working out well. I don't know if it's the same in reverse.

You can't call skype vs skype via computer buzz to Belize. Unless it changed recently it was blocked. Ditto for yahoo or messenger calls.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

I've used googletalk (I thinks thats what its called) to talk with relatives in the states and it has worked moderately well about 75% of the time. I think since BTL has been nationalized, many of the restrictions have been relaxed.
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

black_butterfly Guest
    Thanks everyone for your responses. This disappoints me- I want my daughter to be able to communicate with her grandparents and other family in Belize, and I thought this would be a good way (Skype to Skype-computer), so that she would not forget them. There is such a long time between visits.

zenflower Guest
    BB since your trips are so far between, and your daughter can't see the grandparents face to face due the the online blockage for Skyping, I would send the grandparents a video camara with instructions on how to make frequent videos of themselves and mail it to her. My daughter's friend have grandparents that live across the country and they don't get to visit often, so the family have been making these cute videos for years now of their day to day routines, and talking to the grandparents as if they were right there, sort of like when a reality show has cameras following you around. Its the cutest thing, and they have them accumilated over the years from when the kids were little and since they're older now its fun to pop in the disk and watch the old tapings. This way, your kids will have these disks when they grow up to pass on to their children to show them where they came from. I found this to be a good idea, and you guys could share them back and forth with your tapings as well.

OMG that's such a neat idea Zen.

for the past 10 yrs (since outsourcing became popular) or so more and more families have relocated for jobs and there are so many kids growing up away from extended families. The statistic was once you move there's a high percentage you'll move again in 5 years. Out of all the folks I know here in Florida a handful are born Floridians.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

zenflower Guest
    Yes BG, thats how life is these days girl, and it seems like the family connection we grew up with as kids is almost fading away for a lot a people due to just what you mentioned. Families are so spread and rarely get to make face to face connection, and technology has taken over to where its so convenient to call on the phone, text, FB, etc. that you have to make sure your kids can visually recognize their family members because before you know it the years will fly by, and some families are like strangers to each other. Thats why I liked the video sharing idea too.

black_butterfly Guest
    Thanks Zen! That does sound like an excellent idea. I think that we will definitely try this. Yeah, it's challenging to be so far from family, especially for those of us who are used to living around loved ones and living with that "it takes a village" mentality. And it is extremely important to me for my child to know her roots and know her family as much as possible, not just by name or a picture every now and then.

Now I'm excited about the videos! You're right- good keepsake that my daughter and any future children can have for a long time. I had thought about videotaping my Grandmother a while back and have her tell old stories about how Belize used to be and her life, but now dementia is setting in and I am not sure if this would work now. I regret not doing it sooner, but hopefully my kids won't miss out on the opportunity.

+ Reply to Thread