Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hold on to it a little longer.....

Hold on to it a little longer.....

Are you one of those people who pour the milk down the drain on the expiration date?

A recent poll of more than 2,000 adults showed that most of us discard food we believe is unsafe to eat, which is a good thing, of course, but it is important that we understand what food expiration dates mean before we dump our food -- and our money -- down the drain or into the garbage. On average, in the U.S. we waste about 14% of the food we buy each year. The average American family of four throws out around $600 worth of groceries every year.

Which five foods are most often feared as being unsafe after the printed date? we are most wary of milk, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, yogurt, and eggs:

Milk: If properly refrigerated, milk will remain safe, nutritious, and tasty for about a week after the sell-by date and will probably be safe to drink longer than that, though there’s a decline in nutritional value and taste.
    Cottage cheese: Pasteurized cottage cheese lasts for 10-14 days after the date on the carton.
    Mayonnaise: Unopened, refrigerated Kraft mayonnaise can be kept for 30 days after its expiration date or 3-4 months after opening, the company told ShelfLifeAdvice.
    Yogurt: Yogurt will remain good 7-10 days after its sell-by date.
    Eggs: Properly refrigerated eggs should last at least 3-5 weeks after the sell-by date, according to Professor Joe Regenstein, a food scientist at Cornell University. Note: Use of either a sell-by or expiration (EXP) date is not federally required, but may be state required, as defined by the egg laws in the state where the eggs are marketed.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

I have some eggs in my fridge that rattle when I shake them. Think it might be time to toss those, or am I still good for awhile more?
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

I found that Belize milk dosen't last as long. i wonder if it's processed differently. But I don't throw things out. If it goes bad or tastes bad I give it to Mr. Rum. He eats anything. I'd never seen a cat eat bread but I gave him some moldy bread and he ate it right up.

So, I got to thinking about this. Where did those eggs come from? I don't buy eggs. So, that must mean that my ex-wife bought them. She left on January 6th, 2006 and I suspect she did not buy them that day. So, they most likely were purchased in 2005. Should still be fairly good, right?
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

Jim, Jim Jim.

@ Buzz - yea while Mr. Rum eats anything (like Mikey) the residual effects could be --hmmn not so good.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

+ Reply to Thread