Black and red recardo and pipil
• 1/2 cup annatto (achiote) seeds
• 10 large garlic cloves, roasted on a comal or griddle until charred, then peeled
• 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 4 whole cloves
• 4 whole allspice
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 tablespoon of salt
• 1 cup bitter (Seville) orange juice, or use half sweet orange juice and half vinegar
Grind all of the ingredients except the orange juice in a spice mill or food processor.
Add the orange juice, a little at a time, until a thick paste is formed.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.