Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census

Quote Originally Posted by CherriBlossum View Post
    ahahhahahahahahhahahahahha you mad scratch your wrinkley azz and get glad....

Well ah gat you laughing and that was an accomplishment since the board was getting boring anyway....
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitorose View Post
    Oh lawd hahahah ok mekka ah splain miself...No ah nuh stupid but when I say things, it is never with malice etc and Zen already know how I operate as she is very insightful.

Now, I said I had a problem with African American..because i think it is so stupid...so now youcan have German/ american, English American etc....u see weh ah di come fram?

Now when I say black and negro are the same, it is from my root language where negro, negris etc means black. ...I should have been aware that negro was a slang...but I don't think that way so it never occured to me, not to say what I did...I don't have a problem with any color, I am an artist lol.
    that is my laugh for the day, now I all I can think about is that ugly rass black doll you made hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    What was her name again??
    I don't think that helped your defense Rosie
    Don't start none, won't be none!

Quote Originally Posted by The Empress View Post
    that is my laugh for the day, now I all I can think about is that ugly rass black doll you made hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    hahah oh lawd Em< I love that doll. My dolls all come out different. Gial yu know me nuh give a rat's rass...Cherri she need to be entertained....
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimc58 View Post
    I have tried replying to this thread at least a half a dozen times today, and each time ended up deleting it. I know this is a touchy subject. But, I think I might have a little bit of insight into some of the specifics of this thread. The last thing I would ever want to do is to offend someone, but would you mind me giving this a try, cutting me a little bit of slack if I'm a bit inept in my attempt? Or, am I better off keeping my mouth shut?
    Go for it!!
    Don't start none, won't be none!

CherriBlossum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zenflower View Post
    Here is Wikipedia's definition of the word Negro:

The word Negro was used to refer to a person of Black ancestry prior to the shift in the lexicon of American and worldwide classification of race and ethnicity in the late 1960s. The appellation was accepted as a normal and was used by those of Black African descent as well as those of non-African black descent during the eras prior to the Civil Rights movement.

During the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, some African American leaders in the United States objected to the word, preferring Black, because they associated the word Negro with the long history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination that treated African Americans as second class citizens, or worse. During the 1960s Negro came to be considered an ethnic slur.

The term is now considered archaic and is not commonly used, and is widely considered a racist slur. The term is still used in some contexts for historical reasons such as in the name of the United Negro College Fund or the Negro league in sports.

This is also from Wikipedia:

The term "African-American"
    Political overtones

The term African American carries important political overtones. Earlier terms used to identify Americans of African ancestry were conferred upon the group by colonists and Americans of European ancestry. The terms were included in the wording of various laws and legal decisions which some thought were being used as tools of white supremacy and oppression.[123] There developed among blacks in America a growing desire for a term of self-identification of their own choosing.

With the political consciousness that emerged from the political and social ferment of the late 1960s and early 1970s, blacks no longer approved of the term Negro. They believed it had suggestions of a moderate, accommodationist, even "Uncle Tom" connotation. In this period, a growing number of blacks in the United States, particularly African-American youth, celebrated their blackness and their historical and cultural ties with the African continent. The Black Power movement defiantly embraced Black as a group identifier. It was a term social leaders themselves had repudiated only two decades earlier, but they proclaimed, "Black is beautiful".

In this same period, a smaller number of people favored Afro-American. In the 1980s the term African-American was advanced on the model of, for example, German-American or Irish-American to give descendants of American slaves and other American blacks who lived through the slavery-era a heritage and a cultural base.[123] The term was popularized in black communities around the country via word of mouth and ultimately received mainstream use after Jesse Jackson publicly used the term in front of a national audience, subsequently major media outlets adopted its use.[123]

Many blacks in America expressed a preference for the term, as it was formed in the same way as names for others of the many ethnic groups in the nation. Some argued further that, because of the historical circumstances surrounding the capture, enslavement and systematic attempts to de-Africanize blacks in the United States under chattel slavery, most African Americans are unable to trace their ancestry to a specific African nation; hence, the entire continent serves as a geographic marker.

For many, African American is more than a name expressive of cultural and historical roots. The term expresses pride in Africa and a sense of kinship and solidarity with others of the African diaspora—an embrace of pan-Africanism as earlier enunciated by prominent African thinkers such as Marcus Garvey, W. E. B. Du Bois and George Padmore.

Ten years from now we will be reading this about the word African American :The term is now considered archaic and is not commonly used, and is widely considered a racist slur.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Why do they need to know my race? What is the purpose? I am just putting "American"

Go for it!!
    Sorry, you have to wait now. I saved one version of my reply on my work computer & I'm not about to try and repeat it now that I'm typing with a stick...
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

CherriBlossum Guest
    Go for it!!
    Gyal ah tink he decided fih noh even goh deh.......

All im saying is be real about what you say...."say what you mean and mean what you say"...don't say rass then try change it up when you realize things are not going your way....If you think there are a bunch ah negros who should get with it and be called that then stick by your convictions 'negro mean black in spanish"(which i know cause i speak spanish) lawd have mercy..it was obvious this thread was for being offended about the termBEING A CHOICE OF RACE FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS so i don't see how it could have been misunderstood in anyway....

chranic Guest
    raas. ah neva know een yah soh mih get soh hairy. but pon dih real miss rosie. ah mih dih try get dih sense ah u aagument but ah figgah e gaan way ova mih head.

Chica de Carcel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chranic View Post
    raas. ah neva know een yah soh mih get soh hairy. but pon dih real miss rosie. ah mih dih try get dih sense ah u aagument but ah figgah e gaan way ova mih head.

Mek we siddung pa di sidelines pa di wan Cranic. Rosie an Cherri is about to Trowdown.

Once more I have to begin by apologizing for the length of my reply, but I can’t help myself. Please bear with me…

Race is not an uncommon topic on this board and yes, to the best of my recollection I have always told myself “noh even goh deh” when this topic comes up. Mainly for two reasons. First, I am far too ignorant in this topic because race has never been a real issue in my life. I still have lots to learn. Also, I’m not 100% sure about this since there is at least some anonymity here, but I have a hunch that I am in the minority, as far as race is concerned, on this board. That is not the norm for me, but also not something I am totally unfamiliar with either. This thread has taken some unexpected twists from when I was first tempted to post a reply so my original thoughts may no longer be relevant, and may even be out of line. I hope not. And, my thoughts really weren’t specifically about race, but rather a particular word used to describe a race. That is what I thought I might be able to shed a little light on, and since I hope I am amongst friends I’ll give it a shot…

That (starting a new reply) was a psychological trick to make my reply not seem as long as it is going to be and to help stave off you speed readers out there.

I'm not quite in my 60s yet, but I am old enough to remember when Negro was a common term used in our (US) society. I was always taught it was the term to use to show respect. That IS the term all the black people I knew at that time preferred when specifying their race. Then, in the late 60s blacks preferred to be referred to as, well, black. So be it. I guess I was just too young to give it much thought. To me, this seemed no real different than me changing my name, which I did at about this same time. My legal name is James but I grew up as Jimmy. In the third grade I decided I wanted to be called James and started using that instead of Jimmy. Soon that was all anyone (besides my mom) knew me by. (I switched to Jim in the 7th grade, in case you are curious.) Anyways, I “accepted” this change, but didn’t really know why. I had no idea people found it offensive. So, to me, the term Negro just kind of died away, for the most part, just like Jimmy did. But, that does not negate the fact that to some people Negro was a perfectly acceptable term and in no way implied anything derogatory. Yes, it is archaic now but I honestly didn't know that it was a slur. I doubt I have used that term since my age was still in the single digits but it was not because I thought it a slur. I only stopped using it because times and definitions have evolved. Until yesterday I wouldn't have felt bad saying Negro. Again, it was a respectful term to use in my eyes, all the way up to yesterday. Now I know differently. Live and learn...

Still messing with your minds to try and make this appear shorter than it is…

Here's a little analogy if I wasn't as clear as I could have been with what I was trying to get across. As a kid my best friend was my next door neighbor. One day she came up with a new gesture she would flash to people. She would clench her fist with her thumb and little finger sticking out, and then hold up the tip of the thumb to the tip of her nose. She used that as a greeting to people. She truly believed this was completely innocent, since it was. However, it really, really bothered me. To me it was very obscene. Everyone knows about flipping the middle finger, right? Well, when I was a kid there was also flipping the pinky. What this meant was that you were not even good enough for the middle finger. Worse than telling someone to go F themselves. And that is how I interpreted her gesture. I was too reserved to tell her specifically what I thought her gesture was saying but I made it clear it was objectionable to me. She didn’t understand why, but she told me she would stop doing it because I did find it objectionable. The moral being that not everyone sees the same thing the same way. Again, until yesterday I thought Negro was outdated but I never thought it was offensive. Time did exist before any of us were born and we can't ignore that, any more than we can ignore how things are now.

I’m sure I could have done a better job at this had I had more time, but I do hope you understand the point(s) I was trying to make. I think Z summed things up pretty well. For all we know, ten years down the line African American may be archaic and considered a slur. But for those that grew up when it was not a slur they very well may never think of it that way. Or, it might take 40 years for them to do so like it did for me.

Hey, to me, people have always been just people. No more, no less. If we have to start breaking people down into groups then to me there are only two legitimate groups you can throw people into. Women, who are God's greatest creation, and men who are, as we all know, pigs...

Princess Guest
    Good Job JimC. You're point was understood clearly by me. I don't respond too much in these race/color threads either cause I when I was growing up it was either you have plenty money, you have some money, you have little money or you don't have money. Color/race? what's that? That was not implemented until I came to America. As of today, I still steer clear from it. For me - it doesn't include me nor my mentality. People are people to me.

Just to touch a wee bit on the actual topic of this thread -

While Negro means Black in spanish - the Census Cherri was referring to was the English Version. MR is saying that the Census is not only for the English speaking population hence claimed that the Negro word is for the hispanic population that maybe don't understand the english version of the word. Lemme ask the question on that particular version of the Census are all the other lines/words translated also or is it just that particular word - if so then I understand MR's point. If not, MR - like Cherri said - 'come again'!

Even though you say that you were not thinking along those lines and what you said was taken out of context and you're not to be identified with such things, the defense you used was very weak in this argument and screams otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread