Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squatter loses land and home

Squatter loses land and home

Ch 5:

A Belize City family is homeless tonight and is urgent need of a place to shelter. For over ten years the Jones family cleared and built on a parcel of land at the end of Marcom Street in Port Loyola. Lennox Jones says he carved out his place with his own blood, sweat and tears but there is one hitch. Jones did not have a lease for the land and the plot was actually owned by someone else. He told his story to News Five’s Jose Sanchez.

Lennox Jones, homeless
    “From 1999 I live dah dis place. Dehn bruk dis place leaving my girlfriend, four kids and my common-law-wife and di little bwai dehn going to school. When I came here, yah dah mi high bush. I chop it out from scratch, over mi waist eena swamp. I put down di post there. All of a sudden, dis fellow neva did come around, ask me nothing. I use to give dis fellow current fi build ih structure right here.”

Jose Sanchez
    “Do you have lease for the land?”

Lennox Jones
    “No, no; squatters rights. As Belizeans dah so we get wi land. If we wait fi get wi land through di procedures yoh noh wah get nothing.”

Jose Sanchez
    “But you are aware that someone else actually had a title to the land?”

Lennox Jones
    “No, so far it is doesn’t because…”

Jose Sanchez
    “Have you checked?”

Lennox Jones
    “Yes, yes I is check.”

Jose Sanchez
    “So why didn’t you apply for a lease?”

Lennox Jones
    “The problem why is because den di person weh I gone fi get di lease, I mi have to get wah recommendation.”

Jose Sanchez
    “When did they tell you to move?”

Lennox Jones
    “Dehn tell me I got to move, well dehn give me wah time from di nineteenth of last month to the nineteenth of this month.”

Jose Sanchez
    “The nineteenth of this month was Sunday, that’s three days ago.”

Lennox Jones
    “Right.”

Jose Sanchez
    “So did you move Sunday?”

Lennox Jones
    “I couldn’t move because I didn’t got nowhere to go. Move to go where? I got family I got nowhere. When I came I saw two guys brukking my house down. Dat dah round afta five, going to sic o’clock yesterday evening.”

Jose Sanchez
    “So now you’re homeless.”

Lennox Jones
    “I’m homeless, I don’t got nowhere to go, nowhere. Matter of fact, I noh sleep whole night last night. I deh pan di floor just di try watch my thing mek nobody thief it.”

Jose Sanchez
    “What would you want people to help you with?”

Lennox Jones
    “Well, I woulda want di minister on a whole try listen to what I’m saying. I need somewhere right now and I need to get back on my foot because my house is messed up. Di fellow bruk up my house.”

If you would like to help out the Jones family you can reach Lennox at 600-5930.
    Say hello to my little friend:

I nuh undastan this squattas rights. How many years can you squat to claim the land? Also, who owes the back tax?

I dont' understand squatters rights needa. I can't imagine anybody just claiming your land if you go away for a few years and you paying the taxes, something not right about that.

I do feel for the poor guy, he was doing what he thought he could. With all that effing land in Belize why don't they give the natives some land mein....
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

Some people just have no regards for others properties. They need to understand that they must go through the proper procedures to acquire a piece of land. Infact, I don't know why people still want to live in Belize City. Why don't they move out of that filth and swamp and move to the countryside where there is abundance of land?

Lately, we in Belmopan have been experiencing this problem with squatters. Aliens come and clear a piece of land and build a little thatch house with outside latrine and claim rights to the land. RECONDEV tore down the houses and are now issuing the land to the people who went through the process of applying. And now the squatters are crying "chance". Hell NO! With the price of land so high in Belmopan (up to Bz$20,000), they cann't come here and just take our land. Plus, when they erect those thatch houses and outside latrines, they reduce the value of land in that area. CHO!
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

$20Kbze for how much land? But you're right Belize is dangerous. People are afraid to walk the street because of the recent killings.

Quote Originally Posted by belizean View Post
    Ch 5:

Lennox Jones, homeless
    “From 1999 I live dah dis place. Dehn bruk dis place leaving my girlfriend, four kids and my common-law-wife and di little bwai .

sounds like a BIG family with open relationships - girlfriend and common-law wife. yikes!!
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

$20Kbze for how much land?
    For a Residential Lot! About 90ft x 120ft in the vicinity of the US Embassy area. The least you will pay is Bz$10,000 for a lot on the outskirts, nearby Las Flores, Salvapan etc. Its ridiculous but with the relocation of the University of Belize and the US Embassy to Belmopan, land and rental prices are outrageous!
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

Jones should be arrested and thrown in the jail house for trespassing. Then he have a place to sleep. Charge him with attempted robbery. He try to steal someone's land!
    Hell yeah! Life is good. Love is easy.
    http://belizewalkabout.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzzard View Post
    Jones should be arrested and thrown in the jail house for trespassing. Then he have a place to sleep. Charge him with attempted robbery. He try to steal someone's land!
    Now now...don't get your panties in a wad. The notion of squatter's rights eminated from our British brethren. The idea was to let people squat on abandon land and use it for the good of the community.

From the Wiki:

Squatter rights dates back 600 years to Europe. The idea is that society is best served if someone makes use of productive land rather than allowing the landowner to leave it fallow. This is typically applied to farming, but the concept has been carried forward and is still on the books in every state.

In general, to qualify for adverse possession, a person must be squatting on the property in an open manner and, in some cases, be paying taxes on it. How long the person must have invested varies. California has the shortest requirement, five years.

Squatter's rights
    Adverse possession is sometimes called "squatters' rights." If the squatter abandons the property for a period, or if the rightful owner effectively removes the squatter's access even temporarily during the statutory period, or gives his permission, the "clock" usually stops.[citation needed] For example, if the required period in a given jurisdiction is twenty years and the squatter is removed after only 15 years, the squatter loses the benefit of that 15-year possession (i.e., the clock is re-set at zero). If that squatter later retakes possession of the property, that squatter must, in order to acquire title, remain on the property for a full 20 years after the date on which the squatter retook possession. In this example, the squatter would have held the property for a total of 35 years (the original 15 years plus the later 20 years) to acquire title.

However, one squatter may pass along continuous possession to another squatter, known as "tacking", until the adverse possession period is complete.[13] A lawful owner may also restart the clock at zero by giving temporary permission for the occupation of the property, thus defeating the necessary "continuous and hostile" element.[citation needed] Evidence that a squatter paid rent to the owner would defeat adverse possession for that period.

I understand what squatters rights are. They are much more lenient on such claims in Central and South America than in the north and in Europe.

I no care if someone wanna take a risk and live some place they don't own if no one there. But if the owner comes then they got to go.

How long is long enough to say "Oh I've been living here since XXX so now I own it and you don't?"

There have been cases in Costa Rica where someone stayed on a place for 30 days and the owners came home but the courts gave it to the squatter. That's messed up.

Belize courts have historically been anti-squatter's rights, even to the point of a family that tried to claim a small Caye after more than a dozen years where kicked out.

How would YOU feel if you bought some place planning to move there years later and go find somebody in a shack and an outhouse now owned your land? How about all them taxes you been paying over the years?

Damn freeloaders should go get a job or move to the US and get money for nothing.!

My dad use to have a number of acres of land in northern California, all covered in beautiful Redwoods. Before we moved out of that state we posted signs on the property saying that people had his permission to stay there. The reason for that was his concern that someone would come along in our absence and establish squatter's rights and take the land. He eventually sold the land, much to my chagrin. I would love to have that today. Not only was it a beautiful piece a land right along the coast, but if I were to sell it today I could not only buy a house in Belize, I could easily finance an early retirement....
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
    Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)

RE: How would YOU feel if you bought some place planning to move there years later and go find somebody in a shack and an outhouse now owned your land?

Read my signature below on how I would handle it:

RE: How would YOU feel if you bought some place planning to move there years later and go find somebody in a shack and an outhouse now owned your land?

Read my signature below on how I would handle it:
    Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread