Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lose weight or pay...

Lose weight or pay...

United Air to charge obese double on full flights

United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp, will require obese passengers bumped from full flights to purchase two seats on a subsequent flight, matching the policy of some other carriers.

The change brings the Chicago-based in line with eight other airlines including Continental, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest, United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said on Wednesday.

"Last year we had 700 complaints from passengers who had to share their seats," she said.

Under the new policy, obese passengers -- defined as unable to lower the arm rest and buckle a seat belt with one extension belt -- will still be reaccommodated, at no extra charge, to two empty seats if there is space available.

If, however, the airplane is full, they will be bumped from the flight and may have to purchase a second ticket, at the same price as the original fare, Urbanski said.

If the bumped passenger chooses to cancel the trip, the ticket will be refunded with no additional charge.

The policy is effective immediately.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

Do you believe this is discrimination against obese people?

Last year I was on one of those prop planes going to Nassau with a passenger that was so huge he literally couldn't put both feet under his seat. He was tall and big and his wife was about 1/4 his size. I think he needed two seat belts because they brought him one and then he waited and she came back again with another. He was sitting near the rear of the plane and before the plane could taxi they asked if two people would please move up to the front of the plane. I was nervous the whole flight that the darn plane would not be balanced enough given luggage, weight etc.

Heck planes have crashed because of the distribution of weight.

On the way back, by coincidence they were on the same flight but this time one of the passengers was a little drunk and he was rude to the poor man the whole time. Telling him he's a danger not only to himself but to others and how unhealthy he was. I felt sorry for the wife. She tried to play it off but it had to be embarrassing.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

+ Reply to Thread