Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Congress is trying to take your rights to bear arms!

Cant Get Right Guest

Congress is trying to take your rights to bear arms!

http://snopes.com/politics/guns/blairholt.asp

This bill has been flying under the radar. I stumbled across it by mistake.

Cant Get Right Guest
    `(1) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to possess a qualifying firearm on or after the applicable date, unless that person has been issued a firearm license--

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...1eGyrCe:e5709:

Cant Get Right Guest
    I thought it was called "the RIGHT to bear arms".

bocojeck Guest
    Does it bother you that this link is one called

"Snopes.com; Rumor has it ....."

Just curious.

boco

bocojeck Guest
    however, to address the issue head on, last year a conservative supreme court ruled that americans have a right to bear arms but also explicitly did not rule out the govt regulating that right. So like might all rights, its not absolute!

boco

Cant Get Right Guest
    I found it in snopes while I was messing around. I provided another link also. Feel free to research the bill yourself. As an American citizen, this is my right. The government is infringing on these rights. Are you telling me you do not have aproblem with the government taking more and more of our personal rights away?

Nobody ain't going to touch our guns. You guys need something to be fearful for all the time. Chill and enjoy shooting!
    Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belizeans
    Tweet us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/belizeans

bocojeck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Right View Post
    I found it in snopes while I was messing around. I provided another link also. Feel free to research the bill yourself. As an American citizen, this is my right. The government is infringing on these rights. Are you telling me you do not have aproblem with the government taking more and more of our personal rights away?
    Well to first answer your question from a highlevel instead of specifically on the gun issue, I think that rights and the interpretation of those rights should evolve over time and that is not a bad thing. As we become more enlightened and educated, the way the courts interpret the law and rights should evolve to reflect the era. So I dont look at it as taking our personal rights away. I view it as the way our society has evolved and is evolving requires courts to constantly reassess the way th laws and rights have been interpreted in the past. If they did not do that the laws would have no relevancy and effectiveness today. Case in point is Belize and other colonial territories. The judicial system in belize clings on to the 1600 common law like a crack head to a crack pipe to the point where it is arguable that many of Belize laws are almost meaningless and ineffective to deal with modern day challenges.

But back to the specific gun issue, even the conservative supreme court last year made it clear that the 2nd amendment is not absolute and that the govt can regulate it. I thought you were happy with that decision and with the supreme court's decision. To me the only question left is how far can they regulate which is what we will likely find out after this and any other gun regulation is challenged.

boco

Quote Originally Posted by bocojeck View Post
    Well to first answer your question from a highlevel instead of specifically on the gun issue, I think that rights and the interpretation of those rights should evolve over time and that is not a bad thing.

boco
    So lets take away the 1st amendment which would mean you have to shut the hell up!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Cant Get Right Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzzard View Post
    So lets take away the 1st amendment which would mean you have to shut the hell up!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Better watch out Buzz. DHS has openly said they are going to moniter the tea parties. Apparantly anyone going to one is an extremist, racist, and terrorist. I know there is about 10,000 people expected to show up in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Right View Post
    Better watch out Buzz. DHS has openly said they are going to moniter the tea parties. Apparantly anyone going to one is an extremist, racist, and terrorist. I know there is about 10,000 people expected to show up in Atlanta.
    The peeps showing up are patriots!

Cant Get Right Guest
    Looks like ACORN is trying to have an anti-demonstration movement.

bocojeck Guest

It is because there are so many small minded people out there that, that the supreme court has interpreted what type of "speech" is regarded as "free" and worthy of protection. In the process, the courts (both liberal and conservative ones) have determined that several types of speech are not protected by the 1st amendment.

In other words even when taken literally even freedom of speech is not absolute. Just like gun ownership. Thank God the people appointed on the SC (both liberal and conservative ones) for the most part are intelligent people.

So just get used to the fact that the govt will always be evaluating the trash you post on the internet and regulating your Ak47. If you dont like it, you can always move to say Somalia. I am sure no one will regulate your gun ownership there! So maybe you and the pirates do have something in common. You both want absoulute rights to guns.

So your point is that as long as peeps say what you want to hear, it's OK. But if they disagree with you then their right of freedom of speech should be taken away? Same for religion eh? Which religion must I join that you agree with?

bocojeck Guest
    So your point is that as long as peeps say what you want to hear, it's OK. But if they disagree with you then their right of freedom of speech should be taken away? Same for religion eh? Which religion must I join that you agree with?
    Nope!!! That is not my point or anything close to it. In fact, I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

My point is simple. When the founding fathers empowered the Supreme Court, they gave them the power to interpret laws and the constitution. The recent ruling from the Supreme Court (a conservative Supreme Court I may add), said your right to gun is NOT absolute. Until they change that that is the law of the land.

You cant be proud of the founding fathre for giving you the right to bear arms but then moan about the process they devised for that right to be interpreted.

boco

+ Reply to Thread