Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My mother's admonition

Quote Originally Posted by zenflower View Post
    Yes, I noticed that twice, hahaha. And yes I agree, great minds do think alike.

And one other thing, you are obviously a very intelligent lady with extraordinary writing skills, that is to be admired. [

I totally agree!
    Enjoy The Silence.

. There is no need to apologize for stating your observation in Z's writing. If[/B]

She is not apologizing. what she is doing is really wonderful : helping me put one foot in front of the other.
    Enjoy The Silence.

It was an honest question most people arrived at after reading what seemed to be a nice story. ..[/B]

Thanks for the compliment.

Enjoy The Silence.

Perhaps if there was a distinction made about the girl having longer legs that caused her to win the race, then that would have made more sense. You're right, that part could have been edited out. Its not about us (the readers) being sensitive about color, it just was unnecessary to state and didn't add value to the story. Ting done, lol...

i did say she was a tomboy suggesting that could have been the reason why she was able to beat even me.

Funny you should mention the legs factor, though, because we also had another fair-skinned boy who also raced with us a few times. He was older (twelve ) than us by three years, and taller. Liked I said he only raced with us a few times , and lost all the time. His legs were longer and he raced even with his tennis shoes on - and still lost. Go figure. Well, he did beat me most of the times. we didn't care to have him in our races because he was a sore loser and quick tempered. The winners could only savor victory silently for fear of upsetting him. When i think about it today, i suspect there must have been some child abuse taking place at home, where he lived with his grandmother, father and younger sister. The reason I say this is because he loved playing top with us only because he seem to get so much pleasure in splitting our tops in a game of Gamma. It's like he wanted to split open the earth. He wasn't concerned whose feet was in the way when he was striking down that top. We all made sure we stood a few feet away from the circle. You should have seen his face when he raised his right arm high and backward "ready for the kill " - Crazy, ah tell.ya. dude had issues.

Playing Top and killing macalas and frogs were the games he had the most fun with. Stray dogs were always target practice when he had his slingshot on him.

Anyway that was lil side story.
    Enjoy The Silence.

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zpania View Post
    I suppose one must have a reason or a purpose for every action he or she takes.That is true. In this case , I must confess mine was to initiate a discussion on some of the little information that was fed to us by our parents when we were children, and how within that information we received, contained some truth . I thought I'd use something from my childhood experience as a springboard in hopes it would awaken the memories in some and provoke them to share their own experience. Unfortunately, the Board family has become so dysfunctional these days that most are unwilling to lay aside grudges in order to participate.

I guess it was your defensiveness and insults highlighted above that followed right after people asked the color question dat stepped pan mi kawn, lol... But I know you didn't mean to call us dysfunctional. It's all good, no hard feelings.

[/B]

I guess it was your defensiveness and insults highlighted above that followed right after people asked the color question dat stepped pan mi kawn, lol... But I know you didn't mean to call us dysfunctional. It's all good, no hard feelings.

No hard feelings, Zenny, we cool.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Ah hav tu goh eat mih dinnah now but ah still gat quite a few more responses to go. Be back later.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Rememba Smawt rhymes wid fawt, hahaha..... and even the best writers get "brain farts". In this case, I think Z might have had one of those, lol... But thats ok, I still enjoyed the story. No hard feelings Z.
    Why yuh hatin on Z, Zen?????.....
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

zenflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Babes View Post
    Gyal Z like all dis attention yer, hahaha. When was the last time he had all this feed back? Ey done say ey di come back fi stan up pan ey soapbox, lol... He's sarcastic also like me, so he knows its all in fun, lol...

Eh DB, yu see how she do me ? but a must confess ah buss out laffing at the brain fawt comment. very witty response. Now if she had compare my little story to nose nawt , then ah wud hav tu fly straight dah California and give her ah good one.

But it's all good; it could have been worse if she had quoted Shakespeare and tell me Life is a tale , told by an idiot, full of sound and fury , signifying nothing. Now dat wud ah hurt mih feelings fih true.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Gyal Z like all dis attention yer, hahaha. When was the last time he had all this feed back? Ey done say ey di come back fi stan up pan ey soapbox, lol... He's sarcastic also like me, so he knows its all in fun, lol...

Yu rite, it's been a long time since ...

Enjoy The Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitorose View Post
    Politically correct is a pain in the rass eh Z?

I understood what you meant by the colors, having been brought up in Belize.

You were sharing the entire deal...you would always hear the elders refer to others as the light skin one or the dark one or the white one or the spanish one etc. ....that is the way it was then and that is where Z was coming from.

And what the hell is wrong with that anyway, describing someone by a color, if at the moment the name escaped you or you didn't know the name...color coding worked hahahahahhaah

Why people are so sensitive about everthing now is a puzzle to me....maybe that is why the sale of depressants and adavan and drugs to that effect .....are going out the door a mile a minute...rass mein! there are more important things in life.....like where you next meal coming from now hahahahahah

I know exactly what yu mean Rosey. The best and easiest way we could describe somebody was by some prominent physical feature. Skin tone was the first attempt for description followed by hair , then clothing, then address. It was always done in innocence. But the flip side to that was when someone wanted to insult anotherperson, in most cases they would use those same characteristics but in a derogatory way.

I remember we often referred to a particular boxer as "21 buss head" because he had 21 stitches from a boxing match he lost.

i never experienced racism growing up in Belize so i can't speak on it.
    That's not to say it didn't exist. Some members obviously felt it and maybe that's the reason they are sensitive to the mere mention of skin color. I never felt i was better than any other because of my skin tone or color. For me it was all about having fun with any friends available. There was no TV programming then so no one could brag about what they had or saw. There was only one radio station and we all developed our music taste from that.

When any of us went to the movies we look forward to sharing or hearing about it. And we talked for hours about it, even acting out the scenes entertaining one another. As impressionable youngsters , it was easy for us to memorize whole lines from the movies . We couldn't wait to get home to share and there was always an audience who waited eagerly to hear about it. Life was so good back then.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by scotchbonnet View Post
    It wasn't controversal but it was confusing. I thought there were two teams: the light and the dark. In the end when the kids all united to help the lady, the teams were both equal in spirit and heart. That was a lovely sub-theme. But it could also have been construed as a race thing and when you write you try to avoid such pitfalls especially when it wasn't intended in the first place.

There were a lot of themes in this story. The first about the condensed milk (which mashed mi corn but good) and I related right away. Then the friendly rivalry and the fun games played. Then the one legged lady. And she became the star. So, if I were to say anything to you, it would be to organize your themes especially in terms of importance. Then put your emphasis on the leading theme.

What I especially liked about the story was the way you tied together your opening and ending. Great touch.

No there weren't two teams, and that was a good thing, thank God. I lost so many races I'm sure I'd be the last one picked and of course I can only expect it would have been done begrudgingly. it was every man (or woman) for himself. The good thing is because of my rank in the races, I had all to gain and nothing to lose whenever we raced.

Thanks for the feedback and the tips . i appreciate it all.
    Enjoy The Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by mahogany sister View Post
    Very good writing...I am curious of the timeline though! fiction or fact or a little of both...I have family who grew up on South Street.

Thanks Mahogany Sister. This was back in the early seventies.
    Enjoy The Silence.

WoW! Scotchie is a Good Teacher.....You learn something Everyday! I'm only the reader, I only see a good story.....nothing else!

She is a great teacher. i recognized it from her first few sentences in the Mosquito Rose story. I like the way she spoon-fed us. Nice indeed.

Thanks for the compliment Dreambabes . i appreciate your support.
    Enjoy The Silence.

+ Reply to Thread