+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dr Buzzard will always be...

Dr Buzzard will always be...

There is no stopping us.

Dr. Buzzard’s Coffin
    From "Tales Of The South Carolina Low Country" By Nancy Rhyne
    Contributed by Cindy S. Rearden

The jailhouse in Old Beaufort was dark and sour and not the cleanest place in the world.

A jailer and three policemen were getting ready to lock Dr. Buzzard in a coffin. Dr. Buzzard, a nationally famous witch doctor of Beaufort, South Carolina, had asked them to lock him in a coffin so that he could give irrefutable evidence of his power in witchcraft and voodoo. He claimed that if the officers used every chain and lock at their disposal in an effort to hold him in the coffin, his escape would be testimony to the power of his black magic.

The officers both feared and respected Dr. Buzzard, as did the hundreds of people who came to him to be treated in his practice of witchcraft. They vowed they would lock him in the coffin so securely it would be impossible for him to escape.

A coffin was brought to the old jail. Dr. Buzzard climbed in and settled himself down. The jailer asked him if he was ready for the top to be closed. Dr. Buzzard asked what time it was. The jailer pulled a watch from a pocket by a chain. “It’s eleven o’clock.”

“Then I’ll eat dinner with Mama and the boy at the usual time—one o’clock,” Dr. Buzzard said.

Just then the jailer had second thoughts. “Are you sure you want to go through with this, Dr. Buzzard? Much as I want to stop your practice of witchcraft, I don’t want to kill you.”

“How many times have you brought me before the bar of justice?” Dr Buzzard asked.

“Several,“ The jailer answered.

“And every time you thought you had an airtight case against me,” the man in the coffin snapped.

“Yep.”

“Then this case,” Dr. Buzzard said, spreading his hands to indicate the coffin, “isn’t airtight either. Close the top before I put a hex on you!”

The jailer slammed the top down. The last thing in the world anyone in Beaufort would want would be a hex inflicted on him by Dr. Buzzard.

The three policemen wrapped chain around the coffin and pulled the ends together as tightly as they could. At the center of the coffin, on the top, they hooked the ends with a lock and snapped the lock shut. To the left and right of the middle chain, other chains were pulled together and fastened with locks. The jailer dropped the keys to the locks into his breast pocket and patted his pocket. The other men laughed. They left the jailhouse and went down the street to eat lunch in a tavern on the banks of Port Royal Sound.

As the jailer and policemen dined on crab cakes and coffee, they talked about Dr. Buzzard and how he had acquired the gift, or the “mantle,” as he called it, of dealing with the supernatural from his father, the original Dr. Buzzard.

The first Dr. Buzzard came to Beaufort on a slave ship. Almost as soon as he was given a cabin in which to live, his master learned of his magical powers. This Dr. Buzzard had so much influence over the other slaves that his master gave him a large measure of freedom to be used in the practice of witchcraft. When the slaves were allowed to pursue their ancestral customs and beliefs, they performed their tasks more cheerfully.

The people born in slavery and their descendents relied on those who “worked in root” for their medical needs. Roots were mixed with cemetery dirt, frog’s feet, hearts of owls, and crushed bones and used as charms.

As slaves slipped across property lines and came to the original Dr. Buzzard for treatment, his son, the man in the coffin, learned many of his father’s secrets. When his father became too old and sickly to practice, the son took over the work. He wore purple eyeglasses, a custom which prevented others from seeing his eyes, and he seemed to be always chewing on a root. The root on which he chewed had magical power, according to Dr. Buzzard. He said if he went into a courtroom during the time a case was being tried, he could chew the root and affect the outcome of the case. He also used another procedure in affecting the result of trials. He concocted a powder by grinding together certain materials, and he sprinkled the powder on desks, tables, and chairs in the courtroom. After the powder had been scattered about the courtroom, Dr. Buzzard said the room had been “rooted” and the course of the trial in progress would change.

Dr. Buzzard’s routine also called for the use of black cat’s. He said there was no stronger force in the world than that of a bone from a black cat that had been boiled alive! The technique called for Dr. Buzzard to put a black cat in a kettle of boiling water, and when the hot water covered the cat, “ That cat would talk just like a man.

After the cat had been boiled, it was dropped into a sack (the water in which the cat had been boiled was poured into a container for future use, as it was considered to be powerful in the treatment of certain maladies) and taken to a creek. The cooked cat was then dumped into the creek. If the process of boiling the cat and dumping the remains into the creek had been done correctly, according to the unexplained techniques of voodoo, all the bones would float away from the bank of the creek or sink, except one bone. “That bone just floats right to me,” Dr. Buzzard said. That was the bone with the power. Anyone carrying that bone was safe from “the law and everything else.”

Dr. Buzzard also worked with snakes. He captured rattlesnakes from the woods and fields and gave them names. One snake’s name was Sam. When Dr. Buzzard used Sam in a cure, he would say “Come here, Sam,” and have the patient lie still while the serpent slid over him.

According to Root Man, a son of Dr. Buzzard, and also a witch doctor who practices the magical and mystical art of witchcraft and voodooism in the manner of his father, some members of the police force had shot at Dr. Buzzard on several occasions. It wasn’t uncommon for fugitives to make their way to Dr. Buzzard’s house in order to have a hex put on someone, or to have a hex removed, or to avail themselves of one of Dr. Buzzard’s remedies. During these times, law enforcement officers often showed up and confronted not only the fugitives but Dr. Buzzard as well. On several occasions, a shoot-out had resulted from the fracas. “But my daddy just caught them bullets and threw them right back to the police,” Root Man said.

When the officers and the jailer had concluded their meal, they walked quickly back to the jailhouse. Each of them held a toothpick in his mouth and even carried on his part of the conversation without losing control of the toothpick.

“What if Dr. Buzzard couldn’t get out of the coffin?” a policeman asked. “He might be getting’ pretty blue in the face ‘bout now.”

The jailer transferred his toothpick from one side of his mouth to the other as he said, “Seems to me there’s plenty who wouldn’t mind if he never got out of that box. Anyway, I for one don’t want to be under his evil influence. You heard him say if I didn’t close the coffin he’d put a hex on me.”

“Hurry,” one of the officers behind him said, “We shouldn’t have left the old man so long.”

They rushed into the room, their hearts beating feverishly. And then they stopped. No ordinary phenomenon could have excited such sensations as they felt.

The chains that had been pulled around the coffin and locked together were scattered about the floor. The jailer ran to the coffin and lifted the top. A black cat jumped out.

“Beats me,” the jailer said, shaking his head.

“You can see Dr. Buzzard, and you can believe in him,” an officer muttered, “but you sure can’t explain him.”
    Hell yeah! Life is good. Love is easy.
    http://belizewalkabout.blogspot.com/

Greetings from St. Helena Is., home of the one and only true and legendary Dr. Buzzard. May God protect anyone who adopt his namesake weather it be in ignorence or respect.

Hey gransgirl - tell us more about the legendary Dr. Buzzard. I bet our resident Buzzard is badder.

Welcome to the board!! :
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

Well hell!! look like di ole Buzzard can check in now......
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

Lightbulb Hope yo " Buzzard" Not badder than our....

Ladies,Thanks and praises you greet so open. Is true, I don't know how I land in this cite. I shopping herbs & a link come up bout "Dr Buzzard...". I say What? Is dangerous way cross world for that name still to be speakn. Is all true enough in the story post,selah.. no babies tales see in? He give hoodoo and righteousness bad name, was dark an not to play. I speak of this no more cept to look Stephaney Robinson. Peace and love follow you

peace

So did you find the herbs you were looking for?

Our Dr. Buzzard is fairly harmless although he likes to get in mischief and has been known to walk around bush with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by bzegirl View Post
    So did you find the herbs you were looking for?

Our Dr. Buzzard is fairly harmless although he likes to get in mischief and has been known to walk around bush with a shotgun.
    hahahahahah

Angelica root is hard pickins, but, yea gal, is covered. Your Buzzard, take care n watch. Heights.

Old folks say...ohy laugh, but get yo money first. My niece (!@) say "fries before guys & foods before dudes.." Don't know which company to relate you most closely to...

Go girl. What good is editing power if we cant work it in our favor. Must be republican.Luv ya M.rose

Quote Originally Posted by gransgirl View Post
    Go girl. What good is editing power if we cant work it in our favor. Must be republican.Luv ya M.rose
    Back atya Gransgirl. I like how you talk.......

Why does this remind me so much of SB?

So long as you can laugh, you're still winning.

Quote Originally Posted by zenflower View Post
    Why does this remind me so much of SB?
    hahahahah gial if it is, I am happy to see her, look like you miss her tru? hahahahah

Well, spank mih A$$ and mek ah scream.......dah Buzz eena dih house or what? LOL!

FINALLY met Buzz this weekend, of course, I think he had a little bit too much moonshine when we met. LOL!
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

Why, was he red in the face and slobbering, walking around with his shotgun? Or was it because he tried to take you backa bush.

+ Reply to Thread