Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Mosquitorose Story

Scotchbonnet, welcome...

...i've enjoyed your stories...tho i heard about "long barracks" growing up, i cannot remember entering or ever being in close proximity to one...thanks for sharing...

but the dust on my boots and the rythm of my feet and my heart say africa - vusi mahlasela

scotchbonnet Guest
    Thanks for the welcome, Sweet Lime. Gial, it was nothing but consentrated poverty. The people that lived in those houses had no where else to go but up. A lot of them made it big. I do worry about the poverty in Belize now though. What seems to be missing is the love and concern poor people used to have for one another like they did when I was growing up.
    There seems to be a lot of brain waste with the amount of youths dying on the streets. Some of them might have been geniuses. We'll never know.

Hey SB - loved the story. Wow - you brought back memories. quick question: were poopsies those little black tadpole looking things? Wow, with your story I went way way back down memory lane and do remember kids using their milk cans to hold those poopsies - my memory is fuzzy but i seem to remember them being black.

I grew up close to Majestic alley but for the life of me I don't remember any long barracks there. I remember regular houses and we had a group of garifunas that lived there who put on awesome drumming throughout the year. If there were long barrack style housing I guess I need to really clear away the cobwebs and focus. I do remember guys hanging out smoking reefer and playing dice and police raiding through there all the time.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

scotchbonnet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bzegirl View Post
    Hey SB - loved the story. Wow - you brought back memories. quick question: were poopsies those little black tadpole looking things? ... my memory is fuzzy but i seem to remember them being black.
    Yes, those were poopsies. I'm not sure if they were tadpoles or baby catfish though. Maybe the two species were mixed up together and as kids we just called the whole thing poopsies.
    They were black and slippery. Some were very young though and were kind of dark jelly like. They were fast swimmers.

grew up close to Majestic alley but for the life of me I don't remember any long barracks there. I remember regular houses and we had a group of garifunas that lived there who put on awesome drumming throughout the year. If there were long barrack style housing I guess I need to really clear away the cobwebs and focus. I do remember guys hanging out smoking reefer and playing dice and police raiding through there all the time.
    My friend lived in the one off Queen Street. It was the second or third building. I remember houses in front of it. It ran vertically, up to the middle 60's it was still there. Her mother used to leave her at home alone and expected all the neighbors to look after her. And the neighbors did. Sometimes one of the women would come over and tell us to go home because it was getting late. So in a way they looked after us too. The other one was down towards the other end. Now I'm trying to remember...isn't Majestic Alley and Pink Alley the same place? Lord, ah need fi tek a trip back home but ah fraid fi plane.

No Majestic/Pink and Brides Alley were all connected but different alleys.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Oh, when I was growing up, the guys didn't smoke the MJ in front of the kids. I knew about it finally because when I was visiting somewhere I remember some guys jumping the fence and running away and the women laughing when the police couldn't keep up. Then I asked my sister about it and she said that they put some kind of green leaf in brown paper and smoked it. And that it was dumb and if anyone tried to tell me to smoke it I better not. Years later, I learnt what it was. I still believe it is dumb but if someone wants to do it, I am not going to judge them.
    I remember some kids trying to smoke ti-tie vines too. I still don't know what that's about.

yeah those guys would get tipped off the police were coming and they'd be jumping over the fences, hiding on people's verandah and if they were neighbors running right inside the open door of houses. The cops would be running behind them and everyone would be watching like entertainment.

They looked out for the kids too in the neighborhood. They called them gangs but it's nothing like gangs now-a-days.

What's ti-tie vines?

scotchbonnet Guest
    Ah truly di get old. Pinks Alley is where my friend used to live. Then the other one used to be in there somewhere. But I don't remember how the alleys ran anymore. But I remember we took some food wrapped in a plate-cloth for someone behind there. The mother asked my sister and I to go with my friend.

scotchbonnet Guest
    What's ti-tie vines?[/QUOTE]

It's some kind of jungle looking vine that is woody and light brown to beige. When we were little we used to swing on them and yell like Tarzan.
    Maybe that never caught on. When I grew up I never heard of anyone smoking it still.

@ Smoking Ti-Tie. Just brought back some memories of hanging out at the River- Side in the Village I grew up in.
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

uh uh sounds like DB got her smoke on back in the day. Bill Clinton anyone?

Princess Guest
    I actually saw myself wandering the streets of Belize reading this story. Very colorful. Thanks and welcome to the Board ScotchBonnet.

MR - very very pretty lady - the classiness shines right thru.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Thanks for the welcome, Princess. I've been having a lot of fun here. Glad you liked the story.

what your sister did to MR seems to be normal behavior in belize......a lot of people in my town dislike my family because they assume that we bawn with a silver spoon and did not look like di stereotypical garifuna(di tough head, big lips, blacktill yu blue with flat nose).....to me these are beautiful features anyway.........we use to be veranda kids cause most a di neighbors children would waa beat we up and did beat we up at times.....but my madda and grandmadda use to be wassy.....deh cuss out di entire neigborhood to rass!!......
    "Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a mans last romance." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Babes View Post
    @ Smoking Ti-Tie. Just brought back some memories of hanging out at the River- Side in the Village I grew up in.
    so yu mi get a buzz from di titie.......never heard of peope smoking titie before......but yu know deh have another vine call kwaku.....me yere bout pipple smoke dat fi chase whe ghost!.....dah mussy dat you di talk bout!
    "Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a mans last romance." - Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread