Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mosquitorose Story

scotchbonnet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Belizean View Post
    The long barracks I think I feared the most was by Water lane (swing bridge). I think there was also one off Cemetery road through some alley. My parents threatened us as children never to go near ANY long barracks and no other explanation was given. But I remember at the age of 11 or 12 getting curious to see what it was all about (rather than standing from afar looking down the lane) and I remember one day I dared venture past that area of water lane and was scared to death, scared to look, scared to get cussed out (for no reason at all) then scared to turn back. What a este.

Our growing up in Belize is full of wonderful stories.
    That's because your parents must have loved you so much, they overprotected you. If you don't kno whe fi look fa, how you guen protect uself.
    There was more than one on Cemetary Road. The one I used to go to was down Clay Alley. Me and my lee gang used to go there with old buckets to collect clay from the ground. Then we went home and mix the clay with water and made all kinds of stuff to put in the sun to dry.
    As to the one down in Wata Lane, I was there just about every day. Dem pipple mi nice, gial. U neva had nothing fi fraid bout. Of course, that was in my days. I had close relatives that lived near by so I had to pass by there. And a Frazer family lived right at the end of the lane and they were very, very honorable people.
    Also, the one on Wata Lane had one of the best brams every Christmas season. We used to go peep pan the dancing and the drinking and talk about betta than TV, dem ooman used to could shake it. The music was unbelievable. Lone homemade instruments except maybe for a guitar. But blow pint battle, comb and tissue paper, and knock stick pan pan mek best bram music.
    The gov didn't pay these areas any attention except to raid them now and again, especially fi marijuana. There was a lot of neglect. Wata Lane didn't have a stand pump so those people had to go all around the block to Regent Street West to get them bucket a wata fi drink, cook and bake. That presented them with extra hardships.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Now the one I mi lee bit fraid fa da mi down Majestic Alley. There were at least 2 long barracks down there. That was where Chicki-Chick and Winnis used to live. That place used to be kick a$$. But again, me and mi sista had a good friend down there from Holy Redeemer School and we used to go visit her all the time. But I neva go alone till I mi much older. Den I had a real close freind who lived there and I was already a teenager so I used to go there night and day.
    From the newspapers online I can see that Majestic Alley still a bit scary. But I no know if dem have long barracks anymore.

ilam96 Guest

Another Belizean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchbonnet View Post
    Now the one I mi lee bit fraid fa da mi down Majestic Alley. There were at least 2 long barracks down there. That was where Chicki-Chick and Winnis used to live. That place used to be kick a$$. But again, me and mi sista had a good friend down there from Holy Redeemer School and we used to go visit her all the time. But I neva go alone till I mi much older. Den I had a real close freind who lived there and I was already a teenager so I used to go there night and day.
    From the newspapers online I can see that Majestic Alley still a bit scary. But I no know if dem have long barracks anymore.
    There's no long barracks there now. Majestic Alley is totally refurbished. You are so right though. I NEVER went through Majestic Alley when I was little. In fact when I passed by there going/coming from school I kept my head straight straight straight. It wasn't until the late 90s and I was still apprehensive in doing so, that I actually went through Majestic Alley (one end to the next). I was concerned more than scared walking through there though. Chicki-Chick and Winnis man. I remember them as we lived on Goal Lane then and my sisters and brother went to St. Mary's school. Wow, you're bringing back memories.

CherriBlossum Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Belizean View Post
    The long barracks I think I feared the most was by Water lane (swing bridge). I think there was also one off Cemetery road through some alley. My parents threatened us as children never to go near ANY long barracks and no other explanation was given. But I remember at the age of 11 or 12 getting curious to see what it was all about (rather than standing from afar looking down the lane) and I remember one day I dared venture past that area of water lane and was scared to death, scared to look, scared to get cussed out (for no reason at all) then scared to turn back. What a este.

Our growing up in Belize is full of wonderful stories.
    Lang barracks me membah mih deh pan lovely lane by mih grandparents shap.....

I didn't get a chance to say welcome Scotch, i totally enjoyed your story....

so MR dah mi hot mama back in di days huh?......post some a dem old pichas again MR mek a si if scotchbonnet know what beauty is?
    "Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a mans last romance." - Oscar Wilde

scotchbonnet Guest
    Stand so, Miss Ilam, di hide behind u newspaper and no de welcome me. And all because u di sip pan u nice coffee when u know all ah have fi drink da Provision bark.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Thanks for the welcome, Cherri. Lovely Lane's lang barracks neva too bad. They neva noted for the swaps and morning till night fights, as far as I remember. Most of these lang barracks did have some squabbles though. It's what poverty does to people. In this case, extreme poverty. Ah mean u have to watch u panty dry on the line and tek it down damp otherwise one of the neighbors will be wearing it come nightfall.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Beme, I only saw MR in passing. She was stunning and very feminine from what I remember. We moved after a while and I didn't know what happened to her. A long time later my dad used to go to her restaurant sometimes because it was clean and no fighting allowed. Then I used to pass it on the way to school but I never actually even saw her there. It's just that in Belize when someone knew one member of the family, they assume they know all the family. And if you were friends to one member of the family, your family and their family usually got to be acquainted.
    Plus, gial, I couldn't afford restaurant food. Could hardly afford a pint of limonade in doze days.
    Now when I see the food she cooks, I feel cheated.

Maruba Guest

scotchbonnet

Belize back in D-Day
    Some of you will remember some of these, and then again, some of you will have no idea what's being talked about :-) Good one guys

Reminiscing

Close your eyes and go back, before the Internet or the MAC, before
    semi-automatics and crack, before Hattieville Ramada, and all the problems with Guatemala, before SEGA or Super Nintendo when life was simple and air conditioning was your open window.

Go way, way back. I'm talking bout playing hide and seek at dusk,
    sitting on the veranda, eating hot Creole bread and butter. Seferino, Eustace Usher and Everall Waight on Radio Belize. Red light, Green light (those are games, we had no traffic lights in Belize). Powder milk (AKA Klim) and a potted meat sandwich for lunch was dandy. Kottobrute, tableta, stretch-mi-guts, wangla and goatshit for candy. Boil corn and ducuno from Fullmoon Bevas on Hydes Lane.
    Macobi (pepitos)seeds from Bredda Roy or Don Marin at Holy Redeemer. Playing caparuche or gamma in the neighbour's yard, Hopscotch,marbles, ludo,snake and ladder, Jacks, cricket, Mother May I, Say, Say, Say and Ring around the Roses. Hula Hoops and racing bicycle rims. Bradley's lemonade (all flavors were lemonade) and 2 panades for 5 cents. Dit's meat pies (1 for 5)and Happy Hour's cowfoot soup (only 35). Black shoe polish on mustaches to get into Eden, Majestic, or Palace, Crossing kinnel iron, a nude dip at barracks. The smell of the sun and lickin' salty lips.

Wait...10:30 Sunday morning matinee, Superman, The Three Stooges and Bugs. Back further, listening to Reverend Matthew and Chichi on the radio. Catching needle cases (never knew their real names) off the clothes line, making your own kites with kite paper from Angelus Press and flour paste. Making sure roaches wouldn't eat your kite by putting kerosene in the paste. Playing sling shot or using rubber bands with orange peeling to sting maclala. Remember when walking from New Road to New Market seemed far away? And going downtown on Albert Street seemed like going somewhere? Ghost stories at bedtime, climbing
    trees, gathering black berries and mangoes. An ice cream cone from
    one-eye Mallick on a hot summer day, Tuti-Fruti, Sour Sap or maybe Sugar Corn. You found his other eye, you say? A burger and coke from Shammah's drug store on Queen Street, A million mosquito bites, flit, fish (for mosquitoes) and sleeping under nets. Kerosene lamps, gas lamps and candles. Etnas (one-holed kerosene stoves), chamber pots and the good old white bucket. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, playing house (oooh, I liked that). Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott, when all leading actors were 'the bwai', Sittin on the fence whistling at girls passing by. Sliding down the rail of the steps, catching a splinter in your ***. Jumping on the bed (if you had one) and pillow fights. Running from Catate and Dilo till you were out of breath, And laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Being tired just from playing. Remember that?

I'm not finished just yet. Eating Klim with sugar, kawsham too.
    Remember when... The sneakers at Bata for girls and boys were called puss? And you were ashamed to wear them at school cause they only cost a dollar? When it took five minutes for the transitor radio to warm up? And you listened to championship fights and that was fun? When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got there? When every kid owned some type of dog? And how you cried when they poisoned yours? When five cents was a decent allowance, and 10 cents a miracle? When Saldivar bread went up 2 cents and everyone talked about it for weeks? When you lined up outside Jail at 5:00 AM for hot jail bread? When you'd reach into a stinking, muddy drain for a penny? When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school? And jukking behind convent or up by Haulover was cool? When girls wore quindolyn to church every Sunday? And your clothes were always clean and pressed, even though you didn't have many? And we'd all have to be at the 8:30 AM mass on Sunday or else? When you got brawta from the grocery store regardless of how much you bought? And 12 cents American cheese and a pack bread fed a family of 8? When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box? When any parent could whap
    any kid and nobody, not even the kid, gave it any thought? When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home? When you wore two or more pairs of short pants under your long pants to ease the sting from that sash corn or tambran whip from one of your male teachers? When we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc? When our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat? When you didn't dare talk back to your parents, at least not to their face? Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, yeah, I remember that! There's nothing like the good old days! They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them.Share some of these thoughts
    with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone who missed

I know I di repeat myself but I old so I can relate.

Aye, I have been in my bed since yearday 6pm...this is the first time I'm up...ah mussi ketch some kinda sore throat or something..but ah doing ok...looks like it wont' last long....Hubby taking good care of me...

Scotchbonnet, I enjoyed that story. it's amazing how you touch lives one way or the other and never know about it.
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Okay Beme, U see a da no lya now. Proof in the pudding. See how lovely MR is. Even though I didn't see her grow up, I remember males used to talk about how pretty she was and called her "body by Fischer" which was an advertisement for some kind of expensive car. The way city people used to tease-that was a big, nice compliment. It also reminded the lang barracks boys that MR don't go for no broke-broke. She da classy lady. I heard the talk because she used to be the same age as one of my sisters.

scotchbonnet Guest
    Rosy, you look stunning. Yes, you definately pretty, pretty. John is smart to realize he got a king's treasure when he got you, gial. Your smile is very warm and your eyes sparkle. No wonder lots of dose kanvent gials mi jealous to heck ova u. And u look so genuinely happy.

Thank SB, I never changed, I am always the same....I had made myself a promise. I use to say to myself, when I turn 18, things are going to change and I will be happy for the rest of my life, every day and if anything got in the way of that happy...they or it was gone...
    Love is a many splendid thing and food run a close second.

MR...What a positive attitude...and you light up the board also...in more ways than one...hahahaaaa....
    but the dust on my boots and the rythm of my feet and my heart say africa - vusi mahlasela

+ Reply to Thread