Prepaid Phone Card Rates
 From  To   

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What lady would say no to this diamond?

mas_diva Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bocojeck View Post
    For the record, I am not promoting any company. I merely used the company product to point out all the misconceptions about the diamond industry. I am like Bez on this one. A diamond and many other expensive items are irrellevant to me. So whether its natural or man made is neither here nor there in my eyes. I view the whole thing as a marketing campaign. Think about it for a second, all you are buying is a polished rock. Its not a rare rock and its not a valuable rock. Those are all marketing gimics. But I was born and raised in Belize so maybe that culture still influences my preferences.

Well you did imply that its not only the diamond industry that can be accused of the human rights violations, anti trust violations etc. What else could I have concluded?

I will agree with you on one thing, its probably a bit of a stretch to say that belizean women are not as materialistic as american becuase while belizean women may not be into diamonds, many of them will find something else to be caught up in and spend their money.

Having said that, its freakin tough to find a frugal woman in the US. And if and when hard times hit, I have no doubt that a belizean gial will be able to survive the storm with me better than an american woman. Yes yes yes, more generalizations!! You cant assess each situation individually so sometimes you have to generalize.

my mother was born and raised in belize and she loves diamonds. so, i don't really see your point...

mas_diva Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bzegirl View Post
    While I'm not disagreeing on your perception, don't buy into generalisations or stereotyping.
    ditto

mas_diva Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Empress View Post
    That is bullshit
    ditto! i find SOMETIMES they more materialistic than myself...

mas_diva Guest

Having said that, its freakin tough to find a frugal woman in the US. And if and when hard times hit, I have no doubt that a belizean gial will be able to survive the storm with me better than an american woman. Yes yes yes, more generalizations!! You cant assess each situation individually so sometimes you have to generalize.

i don't concur.

bocojeck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mas_diva View Post
    my mother was born and raised in belize and she loves diamonds. so, i don't really see your point...
    THe point is not that EVERY belizean is not into diamonds. That would be a stupid comment.

The point is that in general (MEANING TYPICALLY) its not something they are into.

There will always be exceptions and sometimes there are lots of exception. That is GENERALLY undestood in EVERY GENERALIZATION.

boco

mas_diva Guest
    i am just saying that are plenty belizeans leaving in belize that are pretty materialistic, wether they have the funds to be so or not.

ditto! i find SOMETIMES they more materialistic than myself...
    exactly
    Don't start none, won't be none!

Lawdie! Lawdie! Lawdie! Bez....Come one....hold my hands...lets eat some cracker jack, claim our prize (thats the to die for diamond ring) and enjoy some pina colada on the beach!! Its getting HOT in here.......
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

bocojeck Guest
    i don't concur.
    Ok Mas Diva

We dont have to agree on this (or anything for that matter) but let me break down what I mean when I refer to when hard times hit.

In the US, there are many safe guards that people fall back on. For eg section 8 housing, food stamps, Women and children (WIC), Medicaid, Medicare etc. In addition you can buy anything on credit (until your credit runs out then you file bankruptcy and start all over again.)

IN a sense many people look at this as a plus. IN my opinin it is not a bad thing but in some regards it can have bad effects as many people become complacent and dont aspire to be all they can be.

Compare that with Belize. WE have none of those programs. Getting stuff on credit is very limited. What that has done is turn belizeans into survivors. It has forced us to become very efficient with our finances. IN belize, when you are out of a job, you cant go and chill out on section 8 and collect food stamps. I prefer a woman who has those survivor skills because God forbid if hard times roll around, the last thing I want my wife to tell me is that she wants another diamond ring or that "diamonds are a girls best friend".

Now having said that, I am not saying I there are no such women in the US. I just think it is hardER to find; especially in the environment I work. (unfortunately). However, I have met several Americans who I am convinced would know how to grind out hard times if needs be but they are the exception not the rule.

boco

bocojeck Guest
    i am just saying that are plenty belizeans leaving in belize that are pretty materialistic, wether they have the funds to be so or not.
    Well I did not make the materialistic comment. That was DB.

boco

bocojeck Guest
    Like you suggested maybe the materialistic ones are the ones that are leaving to the materialisitc USA? but the question is are the ones leaving your typical belizean women?

boco

Well I did not make the materialistic comment. That was DB.

boco
    Hehehehehehehehe!!!!
    The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not PROTECT you...

So i guess it's safe to say, in Belize , Zirconia is a man's best friend?
    Enjoy The Silence.

Ok Mas Diva

We dont have to agree on this (or anything for that matter) but let me break down what I mean when I refer to when hard times hit.

In the US, there are many safe guards that people fall back on. For eg section 8 housing, food stamps, Women and children (WIC), Medicaid, Medicare etc. In addition you can buy anything on credit (until your credit runs out then you file bankruptcy and start all over again.)

IN a sense many people look at this as a plus. IN my opinin it is not a bad thing but in some regards it can have bad effects as many people become complacent and dont aspire to be all they can be.

Compare that with Belize. WE have none of those programs. Getting stuff on credit is very limited. What that has done is turn belizeans into survivors. It has forced us to become very efficient with our finances. IN belize, when you are out of a job, you cant go and chill out on section 8 and collect food stamps. I prefer a woman who has those survivor skills because God forbid if hard times roll around, the last thing I want my wife to tell me is that she wants another diamond ring or that "diamonds are a girls best friend".

Now having said that, I am not saying I there are no such women in the US. I just think it is hardER to find; especially in the environment I work. (unfortunately). However, I have met several Americans who I am convinced would know how to grind out hard times if needs be but they are the exception not the rule.

boco

To quote Mas D - "I don't concur". finding an American who is a survivor is not the exception (maybe you should spend more time outside of your "work" environment) There are many many Belizean born people here in the US living the complacent life using our tax dollars just like the american born peeps. I've seen americans survive (Katrina is a good example) when things got tough so slow down with your generalisation cause you keep digging your hole if not deeper then wider (must be expecting company )

IMO, being a survivor is an instinct that you follow, a hunger to survive. You could grow up with hardships and know about hard work and move out of that environment and fall prey to the "easy" life. So, it's about the person not where they were born.

And what you mean about not having those programs and you listed credit - bwai i don't know where you grew up but when i was growing up credit was very common at the neighborhood grocery store. As a matter of fact in my neighborhood Tin tin use to write it down on pieces of paper. So no my dear, credit and begging your neighbor for a cup of flour was par for the course. And while they don't call it Section 8 I'm pretty sure there are regular "aid" programs in Belize by social services organizations - not to mention the more lucrative ones doled out during election time.

As a people, the majority of African American women know about hard work and surviving, they know about keeping a family together on grit, hardwork and sacrifice. They know about eating mayonnaise sandwiches, and the ones from down south worked the soil like any village person you may know from Belize. so to generalise that the norm is American born women are somehow soft, materialistic and lack survivor skills is ...what's the word somebody used before..... oh yea... bullshit!

I would dare to venture that the materialistic ones are the minority AND the exception. Oh those darn BET videos, perpetrating (sp) stereotype that some can't differentiate as "marketing".
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

Like you suggested maybe the materialistic ones are the ones that are leaving to the materialisitc USA? but the question is are the ones leaving your typical belizean women?

boco
    And a typical belizean woman is?....... please enlighten us.
    Success is Journey... not a Destination

+ Reply to Thread