Your favorite for tea? Bread, Bun, Powder or Johnny-cake?

Which do you prefer for tea?

• Bread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bun

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Powder bun

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Johnny-cake

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Johnny cakes..... i love johnny cake in the morning with cheese and ham dah middle with mih cup ah rose bond tea

Creole have "tea" dah mawning and evenin...but ah prefer mih patch and hard johnnie cake wid cheese (happy cow cubes) and wha cup a black coffee dah mawning.

Johnnie cakes

BTW.....Rosey, please post dah recipe fuh Johnnie Cake whey yuh middih tell mih bout eena chat....ah cawn't get dis Johnnie Cake right. :mad:

powder bun always my fave...but fi tea dah mawning these days i've been having lots of fruit...anything that's in season...really refreshing...

:peace

I always preferred creole bread with tea. That goes with anything, for me.

BTW.....Rosey, please post dah recipe fuh Johnnie Cake whey yuh middih tell mih bout eena chat....ah cawn't get dis Johnnie Cake right. :mad:

Ok DB, do it exactly the way ah tell yu and it will be great.

3 cups flour, 1 1//2 teas Baking P, 1 cup of milk (plus 2 tabls), 1/8 cup of oil, salt to taste.

Mix the flour, salt, B.P. Make a well in the center and add the milk(you can warm the milk) and oil. Start mixing it in a cirlce with a large tabl spoon, just keep scooping and mixing in from the inside the circle to the outside until all is in. Then take your hand and finish it and knead it into a round ball. Do not knead it a lot, just enough to get it into the ball. Too much kneading make it tough, rock stone lol.

Now put it under a damp cloth and let it rest 30 minutes. Divide the dough into the size balls you want and flatter them out to 1/2 inch thickness....more or less(prick with fork). They will bake nice and crisp this way and not doughy. Bake at 350 for about 20 to 30 min. Check your stove...until brown. I usuall put some cornmeal on my baking stone and bake them on that. If you don't have one, then you need to grease a sheet or something.

Now after you make this first batch, you will decide if you needed a little more liquid of not....the point is ...you want to mix the dough soft, it's better to be a bit sticky than dry...you can always add flour to the table and your hands..the softer the dough the nice the cake and the liquid is the key, the right amount.

You might also decide to add more BP or not.....this should make you a successful J cake maker lol....and save yu money...

As a bonus: to make fryjack: everything like above except for two things. Only 1/2 teas BP and eliminate the oil. The longer you let this dough rest the softer and fluffier the jack. I let the last batch rest for 3 hours last time and mein it was the best. I fry in peanut oil as this oil does not burn and I use a small pot so I don't have to put a lot in it and the jack are in at leas 2 to 3 inches of oil. They don't soak anything. You can save the oil in a glass jar and put :winner in frig....use the same oil for panades but then throw it away....or just keep it for jacks. You can use it several times.

AND...Patch is what you do to the corn to mek kaasham...(or so DB seh)

Ms Martha Stewart DB di teach wih latta things...

:rofl

MR don't sit by the computer and wait please? She's flagging down the lady right now. Trust me. :drive

Back