Happy Independence Day! ‘A nation alive, a people with pride. Belize at 25.'

Belizeans.com

All ah we da Belizeans!
Staff member
Good Morning,

The Committee, Chaired by Tourism Minister Godfrey Smith, confirmed that August 30th through September 21st will be the official dates for the September Celebrations. The Committee decided that the September Celebrations Calendar of Events will be launched by mid July in conjunction with the start of the Carnival Road March launch.

As well, the Committee has launched a competition to select this year’s theme for the celebrations for which the winner will be awarded with a cash prize of $1,000.00. This competition will be open to all Belizeans whether they are living at home or abroad. To also ensure public involvement in the process, Belizeans will have the opportunity to submit ideas for preferable locally co-ordinated events for inclusion on the Official Calendar.

A theme as now been decided and we are asking private sector in donating a package for our 2nd & 3rd place winner. Please let me know if this will be at all possible. Thanking you in advance for your usual kind cooperation.

Best Regards,
Lorraine Herrera
Marketing Officer
Belize Tourism Board
3 1/2 Mls. Northern Highway
Belize City, Belize
Tel: 501-223-1913
Fax: 501-223-1943
Toll Free: 1800-624-0686

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.travelbelize.org

I want a Belikin calender. I wanna put it next to my hooters calender.

So where's the updated calendar. I wanna see if there are any interesting and fun schedules so I can decide if I'm going home for the celebrations or not.

Belize to celebrate 25 years of independence

Belize is saying it will stage colorful parades, pretty pageants and food galore, in September for its 25th anniversary of independence in a celebration that spans three weeks, it was announced Thursday.

Belize Tourism Board (BTB), the organization responsible for promoting Belize tourism, said in a statement Thursday because this year’s 25th anniversary marks a significant milestone in Belize’s history, a host of new events, competitions, theater productions and other spirited historical and cultural exhibitions are added to the calendar of events.
Among planned events include the first-ever East Indian Festival, which will highlight the food, dance, music and arts & crafts of this colorful ethnic group, and the Art & Music Festival, which is being touted to showcase the wood carvings and handicrafts of local artists and include a special emphasis on local food and music.
The opening ceremonies of the September Celebrations will take place on September 1st, officially kicking of the festivities, according to the BTB. “The following day is the Queen of the Bay Pageant in Belize City, commemorating the Battle of St. George’s Caye, when the British defeated the Spaniards in their last effort to gain control of Belize. The crowning of the Queen is synonymous with the country’s sovereignty and the official coronation will take place on September 10th, a national holiday and this year’s 208th anniversary of the historic battle.”
The fun and festivities continue with a carnival on September 9th, a massive street parade that showcases the country’s heritage and cultural diversity and includes participation from each of the country’s multicultural groups, added BTB. “During Carnival, a wide array of individual groups don elaborate costumes and parade through the principle streets in Belize City. A large awards ceremony and party is scheduled for after the parade during which all the winners are announced.”
The celebrations will culminate on September 21, Belize’s Independence Day. “In addition to the official events and traditional flag raising ceremony, the country will come alive with a massive parade with colorful floats and brightly costumed participants that march about in merriment. Live music concerts will add the exotic rhythms of Punta, reggae and soca music, ideal for dancing in the streets. The festivities will also feature the best in Belizean cuisine, exciting motorcades and lively block parties.”
Belize Tourism Minister Godfrey Smith is servind as the chairman of the celebrations planning committee and the Belize Tourism Board is taking an active role in the planning and execution of Belize’s 25th Anniversary celebration as an independent nation.

By eTN Staff writer

The City Council is sponsoring a Multicultural fair aimed at showcasing all or as much of the diverse ethnic cultures which makes up Belize. We have invited the Creoles, Coolie, Chinese, Tiawanese, Garifuna, Mestizo, Lebanese, Hispanics, Mayas, Cubans, Americans and any other group who whats to partake in the two day event which will be on the 10th and 11th of september. There will be porformances by the Garifuna drummers, Mr. Peters and his Boom and Chime band, Lord Rhaburn, Kenny Gladden and the New Creation band, belizean Movements, Mr. Tony Wright along with other performances.
There will be a food court where you can get Game meats with stew beans or rice and beans by the Fia Haat Restaurant. Escabeche and black dinner along with tamales fron Neries restaurant, pastries fron Dits, Chienese foods fron Chon San Restaurant, Lebaneses food sorry i cannot remember the name of the restaurant. along with games for the kids and a lot more to be confirmed shorthly. the 208th aniversary and 25th celebartion will be big in Belize this year. I will fill you all in on the events as soon as the become official.

shaft said:
The City Council is sponsoring a Multicultural fair aimed at showcasing all or as much of the diverse ethnic cultures which makes up Belize. We have invited the Creoles, Coolie, Chinese, Tiawanese, Garifuna, Mestizo, Lebanese, Hispanics, Mayas, Cubans, Americans and any other group who whats to partake in the two day event which will be on the 10th and 11th of september. There will be porformances by the Garifuna drummers, Mr. Peters and his Boom and Chime band, Lord Rhaburn, Kenny Gladden and the New Creation band, belizean Movements, Mr. Tony Wright along with other performances.
There will be a food court where you can get Game meats with stew beans or rice and beans by the Fia Haat Restaurant. Escabeche and black dinner along with tamales fron Neries restaurant, pastries fron Dits, Chienese foods fron Chon San Restaurant, Lebaneses food sorry i cannot remember the name of the restaurant. along with games for the kids and a lot more to be confirmed shorthly. the 208th aniversary and 25th celebartion will be big in Belize this year. I will fill you all in on the events as soon as the become official.
BWAI - Ah di miss home bad.... Whew dis sound like wah paaty fi tru..

I'll be singing in this one.

We are doing a second cutural CD. It will be done 'live'. The songs are really spanking. AND THAT'S ALL I'M GOING TO SAY ABOUT THAT! :beerchug

Musician puts new spin on September songs

We've all heard them ... those tried and true September celebration theme songs. But this year, patriotic Belizeans will have a new tune to add to their CD collection, courtesy Bredda David and Tribal Vibz.

Bredda David, Musician
“We are the Belizean entertainers. This is the month when we generally step-up. The Belizean people usually look out for we and we enjoy our job. So this year, we get inspired to write this song, “This September, Mek we Rememba”. We basically the talk bout the tenth of September and Independence. It is very important to remember that we don’t want to be dividing ourselves all the time. If possible no divide we self at all. But inna the month of September, mek we all come together from a national point of view and from a Belizean point of view you know.”

“This song is more a contribution than from an economic point of view. Of course, I they want it in that kind of level ... if the demands are great we have means and ways of getting in on a CD. But we di think bout it more as a contribution to this September.”

"Dis Septemba, Mek we Rememba" will make its premier on local radio stations later this month.

Speaking of September songs, I was just singing to myself the other day:

Give mi back mi dolla, young gyal, give me back mi dolla. Yuh mussy want ah tell Mr. Fulla, Yuh mussy want ah tell Mr. Fulla, Give mi back mi dolla young gyal, give mi back mi dolla!

Unnu rememba that?

Ch 5:

Calendar released for September Celebrations
This September Belizeans will be celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of our Independence and the two hundred and eighth anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye. And while the festivities have had their ups and downs over the years, today the September Celebrations Committee made it clear that next month's revelry will be long, large and meaningful.

Alyssa Noble, Reporting
This morning, the September Celebrations Committee launched its official calendar of events at the Belize House of Culture. And according to Committee Chairman and Minister of Tourism Godfrey Smith, this year’s version will feature a variety of new activities.

Godfrey Smith, Chairman, Sept. Celeb. Committee
“The September Celebrations Committee, a very good and diverse team, has been meeting for at least three months. A couple of innovations include ensuring that the playbill--we brought out for the first time a proper playbill, not a simple calendar. Which actually encapsulates activities all across Belize from North to South, East to West, that will be made available en masse. Right now the media has copies of it, so that is one new innovation. You are aware of course of the great piece that Frankie Reneau, our noted Belizean international composer, and a team of at least fifteen are working on that will be unveiled as well.”

In addition to these new innovations, the committee has also brought back Oldies but Goodies like the Independence Day Bram on Albert and Regent Streets and the Festival Grand Market.

Zenaida Moya, Mayor of Belize City
“I am sure everybody remembers when they used to go to Festival Grand Market and really enjoy themselves over the days. We will be bringing that back. We just feel that Albert and Regent Streets is the place to be. You know to be out there and have you different live bands out there and the different DJ’s. You know have the different stands where people can go out there and eat. How they seh it? Eat til you drop or something like that.”

This year’s festivities will be held under the theme “A Nation Alive, a People with Pride, Belize at 25!” and according to it’s creator, Victor Cucul, coming up with the concept wasn’t easy.

Victor Cucul, First Place Winner, Sept. Celebrations Theme
“I came up with so many themes. I had was to add, I had was to subtract, it was very difficult for me. ut eventually I came up with the theme “A Nation Alive, a People with Pride, Belize at Twenty-Five”. And I wrote it now for the intention of winning. I wrote it mainly because as a young person, I should do something for my country.”

And that patriotic expression has made Cucul a thousand dollars richer. As for what he will do with his prize money...

Victor Cucul
“I think I will go outside and buy an ice cream for everybody.”

Alyssa Noble
“A thousand dollars worth of ice cream? Am I included?”

Victor Cucul
“Well, once you’re there, you’ll get right.”

But while many of Cucul’s friends are waiting for their belly full, the celebration’s organizers are high on music...

Godfrey Smith
“I can’t say any particular single one, but certainly the opus by Frankie Reneau and the fifty Belizean musicians is something I’m really looking forward to participating in along with all the other activities.”

Zenaida Moya
“I’m looking forward to hearing a lot of the September music. I love those patriotic type music, I mean, it just gives you cold seed. It’s like so beautiful to hear and I know we have wonderful artists.”

The official activities kick off on September first.

Alyssa Noble reporting for News Five.

If you would like more information, visit the Committee's website at www.septembercelebrations.com.

Ch 5:

New publication puts together old essays on 1798
In the spirit of the September celebrations, the Belizean Studies Resource and Data Analysis Centre at St. John's College today released a collection of essays on the Battle of St. George's Caye. The special publication consists of five articles written during the late 1970's and early 80's by Richard Buhler, Peter Ashdown, and Francis Humphries ... all previously published in the Journal Belizean Studies. According to co-editor Yasmine Andrews, the compilation is a quick reference for anyone needing information on the battle.

Yasmine Andrews, Co-editor, Essays on the Battle of St. George’s Caye
“We need to realise that any historical event that occurred in Belize is very critical and is very important. The battle of St. George’s Caye, regardless of whatever scepticism, whatever speculation, something did happen. It was a precursor to independence and a precursor to where we are today in 2006 and why we have a nation called Belize.”

“When we were conducting our research we noticed that there was not a lot of literature on the battle itself. Even worse, there’s not a comprehensive body, being that a person could go and collect all this information in one place. Therefore, what we tried to do was compile that information and make it more accessible to researchers and everybody else who wants access to the information.”

“The objective was to obtain a diversity of opinions, speculations about what actually took place and then for readers, scholars and students then to be able to analyse that and then formulate their own educated opinion.”

Also included in the book is a pictorial entitled "Places and Faces of Old Belize." Essays on the Battle of St. George's Caye can be purchased at major book outlets throughout the country for twenty dollars.

Ch 7:

The Battle Over the Tenth, Written

The tenth of September, it is to be sure, a defining date in Belize's history, but scholarly opinion on the battle is so divided that it seems many are fine with celebrating the Tenth, but are just as content to simply observe it. Where do you stand? Well that may depend on what you've read about the Tenth, or who wrote it. Now you can find many of the principal pieces of historical research on the tenth in one compilation, and after reading it, make up your mind for yourself. The Belizean Studies Resource and Data Processing Center has released the compilation. The book contains a analyses on the battle of St. George's Caye written between 1978 to the early 1980's. They include writings by Richard Buhler, Peter Ashdown and H.F. Humphreys. Editor of the Belizean Studies Resource Center Yasmine Andrews today told us that the publication is meant to provoke and perhaps forge one universal stance on the Tenth.

Yasmine Andrews,
“There are five prolific researchers that we identified, two written by Fr. Buhler, there is two by Francis Humphreys, and there is one written by Peter Ashton. The objective was to obtain a diversity of opinions, relating to the battle and so that readers would be able to make their own analysis and formulate their own educated opinion.

The articles include opinions that are pro the battle for instance that yes battle took place and it is very significant and then we have researchers within the book who say that the battle was not significant and that nothing ever took place and therefore, like I said, the objective was for readers to formulate their own educated opinion and to have the diversity of scholarly research that was done in the early 1970s to 1980s.

The Battle, regardless of diverse opinions out there, is a very significant event. It is a part of our history, it is a part of our tradition and I think the responsibility falls on us, this generation, to be able to preserve that historical event and be able to pass it on to those coming after us. Again there is a lot of skepticism about the Battle but I think that the essence is that something did take place in 1798 and as a result of that we have independence and as a result of that, we are living in 2006 in a country called Belize.

We are living in a period of time that we need to come and realize a certain consensus and instead of division, realize that something did take place in 1798 regardless of what opinion is out there, regardless of what the feelings are. I think as Belizeans and I think as one people, we should be able to appreciate all our historical traditions and be able to pass it on to those who come after us.”

The publication also includes a section called faces and places of old Belize that includes photos of a Belize in a bygone era.

Ch 7:

60th Queen of the Bay at Air Force Academy

082309a.jpg

One of the first official activities on the list of events for the September celebrations is the 61st Queen of the Bay Pageant scheduled for the night of September 2nd at the Belize City Center. Ten contestants will compete for the crown. The reigning queen is Carrie Wong K, seen here in her Air Force colors, who is in Colorado attending the United States Air Force Academy on a four-year scholarship. The U.S. Ambassador to Belize Robert Dieter, on her right, visited Carrie Wong K while on a vacation in his home state of Colorado. Pageant organizers aren't sure if Carrie Wong K will personally hand over reign to 61st Queen of the Bay.

whe di rass Queen of the Bay di do di fight fu America fa?
isn't she supposed to be helping the Baymen defend against invasion?

Back