GENERAL ELECTIONS 2008 RESULTS - UDP FORMS NEXT BZE GOV'T

mahogany sister said:
Rodawn...shut up!!!!!

Congrats to UDP....wish I was in Bze.......!

Don't ignore the question.

And, jump on that plane and take a trip for the weekend. The celebration is at 6pm tonight.

God I wish I could....I have sooo much work for the next two weeks....but after that I just might........

Also, I believe Dean is the leadership Belize needs....(Esquivel is the past) .If Dean is true to his work..which I think he is....I believe all Belizean red and blue might benefit from a strenghting of our constitution..........

:beerchug :beerchug :beerchug UDP :beerchug :beerchug :beerchug

Congratulations to our new Prine Minister!!!!

Attachments

• dean.jpg
    dean.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 79
My God this is frustrating me to no end. I edited the leader board to reflect the winners and numbers I got. It is quite obvious that the numbers that LoveFM have released don't coincide with the Elections & Boundaries Dept (as in the totals of the votes for the 2 major parties exceed the total # of votes claimed by E&B Dept for many constituencies).

Plus I cant find results for 3rd Parties & Independents or for the Referendum. Would it kill the E&B Dept to post the freaking official elections total votes for each candidate for each consituency on their website. Hell, let me do it if they cant/dont want to. It's embarrassing :rolleyes:

Not to mention I didnt even bother posting the results for Pickstock on the Leader Board, coz it's an insult to my neighbor's dog's intelligence.

Pickstock has 3,294 registered voters. E&B Dept claims 2,373 voted in the Pick (72% turnout), yet the official results being released by many media outlets is Elrington winning 409 - 268. Really? Yeah... sure! WTFFFFF?!?! Either the people of Pickstock arent the brightest of people and spoilt 1,696 ballots or it's the people at E&B Dept who should change their lightbulbs!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hahahahahaha....Don't Worry Mercury...Just be Happy!!! We will figure it out sooner or later......hahahahahahaha

Dream Babes said:
Hahahahahaha....Don't Worry Mercury...Just be Happy!!! We will figure it out sooner or later......hahahahahahaha

:D I'm operating on virtually no sleep for 2 str8 nights and had 2 extremely frustrating and long days. I have to remind myself to blink :D

What's worse is that I'm so buzzed up on caffeine and taurine and Lord knows what else kinda 'ine' that now that I'm home and can actually go sleep, I aint sleepy. *sigh*

Sharleigh said:
Mercury as always you did the members of Belizeans.com proud. Are you sure you don't want to run for some office in Belize? I would vote for you since I can see what a passionate hard working person you are and when you decide to do something you do it well. Thanks for all your hard work and it is appreciated. :heart

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I do enjoy helping people and volunteering when I can (although I dont have time to do as much as I want), but I am not one who enjoys the spot light. So politics doesnt appeal to me. But thanks, I'm humbled.

:D :D :D We are on the same train.....:D :D...I've been up since 4:30 am Thursday Morning, dreamt about my dead granny.....worked my a$$ off from 5:30 - 7pm Thusday, bathe and waited for the results until 2am, parade around Belmopan and the Western Highway to Unitedville, got home 5am, watch the rest of the elections result, got called out again at 8am and I've been up ever since...:D. I opted not to attend the tonight's victory rally in Belize City and rest, BUT rass, its 11:10pm and I'm still up on vodka and cranberry:D :D :D :D!

bushman said:
our pup guy lost every box, but the closest box was the one we worked which was the winners home. i eat crow this morning and gave grats to "clear the land" and a hand of unity for continueing progress in our community, so is life and i am sure we will get the old northern highway fixed which was my objective from the start.

CONGRATS TO UDP on a well desrved victory

That was big of you! :beerchug

Belize elects first black leader, ousts incumbent

Catherine Bremer , Reuters
Published: Friday, February 08, 2008

BELIZE CITY (Reuters) - Belize elected Dean Barrow as its first black prime minister, final results showed on Friday, as the small Central American nation ended a decade of one-party rule marked by graft scandals and economic problems.

Barrow, a former foreign minister, won a sweeping victory in Thursday's general election, Belize's chief election officer, Ruth Meighan, told Reuters.

Barrow's United Democratic Party, or UDP, took 25 of 31 constituencies against six for Prime Minister Said Musa, whose popularity slumped in recent years.

It was only the third defeat in half a century for Musa's People's United Party, or PUP, which has dominated politics since the former British colony of 300,000 people elected its first legislative assembly in 1954.

Belize, known for its laid-back Caribbean vibe, gained full independence from Britain in 1981.

Barrow's win also makes Musa, a white-haired former lawyer of Palestinian descent, the latest in a string of leaders ousted in Caribbean countries over the past year.

"This clearly is a people's victory. It's the people's judgment on the PUP. They're giving us a huge vote of confidence," Barrow, 56, told local radio on Friday as the count showed him far in the lead.

Barrow ran on a platform of ridding Belize, wedged between Mexico and Guatemala, of the embezzlement scandals and financial mismanagement that hurt Musa's last years in office.

"It's a great feeling. I'm extremely grateful and humbled," Barrow said, as his supporters drove through Belize City, hanging out of cars, honking their horns, waving UDP flags and thumping on car roofs.

In a diverse country of indigenous Maya, Mestizos and African-descended Creoles and Garifuna, many on the street were rejoicing at a Creole winning power. Belize's past leaders were born in Belize but of European descent.

FISCAL PRUDENCE

Investors in Belize's roughly $1 billion in public debt expected Barrow to maintain fiscal stability after a late-2006 debt restructuring stabilized the country's debt ratings.

"I'm fairly confident that he understands the importance of fiscal responsibility and transparency, and that's the key issue," said Bear Stearns analyst Carl Ross in New York.

"The other issue is getting the economy going, which means getting investment going in the tourism sector."

Barrow says he plans to get more Belizeans investing in the tourism industry which, despite the country's lush jungles and sparkling coral reefs, lags neighbors Costa Rica and Mexico.

Tall and easy-going with a shaven head and a rapper son, Barrow appealed to young Belizeans voting for the first time.

Musa, 63, did not comment on the election result.

Many older Belizeans are strongly attached to Musa's party for its role in ending British rule and because local party officials help poor families with school fees and free household appliances. But anger over tax hikes and alleged graft scandals erupted in anti-government riots in 2005. (Editing by John O'Callaghan)

critical

What is critical to note, is that there was a smoothe transition of power. Musa bowed out humbly and Barrow accepted Prime Ministership gracefully. This is unheard of in places like Kenya and the Middle East. Therefore; let us thank the British for leaving us a superiour Democratic Model. Let us thank the British Commonwealth for continuing to give us the strenght of a Democratic Nation by sending down teams of election observers. Let us thank her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Second, for doing all of this for Belize.

Re: critical

rockview said:
What is critical to note, is that there was a smoothe transition of power. Musa bowed out humbly and Barrow accepted Prime Ministership gracefully. This is unheard of in places like Kenya and the Middle East. Therefore; let us thank the British for leaving us a superiour Democratic Model. Let us thank the British Commonwealth for continuing to give us the strenght of a Democratic Nation by sending down teams of election observers. Let us thank her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Second, for doing all of this for Belize.

And thank the US for garunteeing Belize's freedom!

Mercury you did an AWESOME job keeping us informed on the election results and what's going on in Belize. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to the people of Belize for their hard won fight. Now all eyes will be on the new government and hopefully they live up to their promises and pledges.

bzegirl said:
Mercury you did an AWESOME job keeping us informed on the election results and what's going on in Belize. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Thanks, was no big deal :beerchug

Dream Babes said:
:D :D :D We are on the same train.....:D :D...I've been up since 4:30 am Thursday Morning, dreamt about my dead granny.....worked my a$$ off from 5:30 - 7pm Thusday, bathe and waited for the results until 2am, parade around Belmopan and the Western Highway to Unitedville, got home 5am, watch the rest of the elections result, got called out again at 8am and I've been up ever since...:D. I opted not to attend the tonight's victory rally in Belize City and rest, BUT rass, its 11:10pm and I'm still up on vodka and cranberry:D :D :D :D!

Funny I dreamt about my dead granny last night too. She was happy talking about she's going to Belize, I just realized maybe she's happy about the elections!:angel

eyy, i nearly forgot.
what happened to the elected senate referendum? i don't see it on the elections results. Merc do you know?

Back