Belize in Pics Series: Maya Mountains

M

mercury

belizeinpics.jpg

This set will feature photos of the Maya Mountains and of other Hills and ranges in Belize. Hope you enjoy. The Mountains of Belize generally go unnoticed and taken for granted by most. It's time we honor the Mountains that rise so majestically over Belize.

:beerchug

logo.jpg

belizeinpics-1.jpg
logo-1.jpg

[size=large]RICHARDSON'S PEAK, TO[/size]

RichardsonsPeakToledo.jpg

mercury said:
belizeinpics-1.jpg
logo-1.jpg

[size=large]VICTORIA PEAK (3)[/size]

VictoriaPeakSC3.jpg

VictoriaPeakSC2.jpg

Mercury,

I am a bit suspicious about this picture. I have been fishing all my life and I think the only mountain range that is visible from the ocean are the ones around rock view. I cant imagine victoria peak being visible from the coast.

I could be wrong

garobo

garobo said:
Mercury,

I am a bit suspicious about this picture. I have been fishing all my life and I think the only mountain range that is visible from the ocean are the ones around rock view. I cant imagine victoria peak being visible from the coast.

I could be wrong

garobo

Well, the hills near Rockview have a longitude similar to that of Victoria Peak, which is in west-central Stann Creek (maybe just a little more west). So, if, as you say, you can see Rockview's hills from the Caribbean Sea then I'm pretty sure you can see Belize's second-highest mountain peak (3,675 ft; the highest being Doyle's Delight in south-east Cayo at 3,688 ft) from the Caribbean Sea as well.

The photos in question were taken from South Water Caye (which has a lattitude similar to Victoria Peak, hence the straight-on view). If memory serves me right, Victoria Peak can be seen from outside Independence as well.

Plus these photos were taken by a very respected and renowned photographer in Tony Rath, I doubt he'd lie :)

Hope this explains things, but thanks for your input.

:beerchug

OK, made some calls, and was told that this was apparently a particularly clear day and although Victoria Peak can be seen from the Caribbean Sea, it usually is covered in clouds.

Back