PDA

View Full Version : Rosey! Hot cross buns???

Monwa
03-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Rosey... u making yo hot cross buns this year again?
Ah neva mek none last year but mih ole man dih bug mih fuh mek it.
I do them a bit diferent from some people tho.... we grew up with my grand mother doing things the real "english" way LOL
The hot cross buns she use to make use to have a nice little glaze on top when it was done baking that she make the glaze out of confec sugar, lemon extract and milk.
She didn't roll out little pieces of dough to put the cross on it... when she was ready to put the buns in the oven she would take a sharp knife and carefully slash buns with a cross and when they done baking she'd whisk together glaze ingredients, and spoon over buns in a cross pattern.

I will get up early to make them tomorrow... hopefully them come out good... ah nuh mek bun fuhthe longest LOL

Dream Babes
03-20-2008, 12:19 PM
AND! Ah dih pass fuh my amount Saturday Morning.......OH!!!!:D :D

Monwa
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
u bloody keep me waiting.... me and yo rass gwen to hell LOL ah done seh i wah stone yo with them :D

Citygirl
03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Dream Babes
AND! Ah dih pass fuh my amount Saturday Morning.......OH!!!!:D :D Me too......LOL

Dream Babes
03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
:rolleyes: I said I AM COMING!!!!.......:D :D :D :D :D!

I will be judge and jury and get my verdict when I taste those buns.....:party :party

Betta yet! U shud bring dem fuh mih......:rolleyes:

Dream Babes
03-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Citygirl
Me too......LOL :scared :scared!! Dah whey good breeze bloe you fram....Welcome Back!!!!!:beerchug

Monwa
03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Citygirl
Me too......LOL

hahaha... u fly out like bat outta hell:D :D :D unnu nuh set mih up ya know! DB like seh she wah pull up and suh nuh show up!

The Empress
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
make sure to post pics!

Monwa
03-20-2008, 02:48 PM
will do

belizean
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I wah eat something fishy tonight! :smoke

Mosquitorose
03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Mons, yu grama mek dem the karrect way gia. Mi nuh di mess wid dem bun dis year. Ah wah mek the easter bread gial and dat nice no rass....eh almost like cake when you cut ahm....eh mek wid butta and egg and milk just lik the buns ..onli I wah braid it and bake it whole ......

Monwa
03-20-2008, 06:14 PM
ohh thats nice. I just start mek mih first batch of buns and i wah mek wah next batch tomorrow just incase City and Db pull up them wah get them fresh.

AH get some nice barrow fish and ah done season them too fuh fry up tomorrow... i mih wah king fish but ah couldn't find none since the weather was bad this week with all them hard breeze them fishaman them neva gawn out much and mih uncle neva gawn dah eh camp but thank goodness ah get some fish. Will post some pictures in a little.

Mosquitorose
03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Aye gial, lang time hubby and son and bro neva ketch any fresh fish fe mi.....maybe soon tho...looks like i will have to go and show them how ....I fish with line...hahahah

Monwa
03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
some fish weh ah mih sih season earlier

Monwa
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
getting my first batch ready to go in the oven

Monwa
03-20-2008, 10:52 PM
my first batch just coming out .... they turned out pretty nice ..... i was nervous about it LOL i nuh mek bun fuh like 2 years now but ah guess ah nuh loose mih touch!

Citygirl
03-20-2008, 11:08 PM
:scared :scared!! Dah whey good breeze bloe you fram....Welcome Back!!!!!:beerchug hahaha...a yer breeze di blow haad da town...save me wah seat pon the couch tomorrow....LOL

Monwa
03-20-2008, 11:23 PM
ah hope eh rain all weekend mek ah sleep LOL

belizean
03-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Mmmmmm....those look delicious!

Originally posted by Monwa
my first batch just coming out .... they turned out pretty nice ..... i was nervous about it LOL i nuh mek bun fuh like 2 years now but ah guess ah nuh loose mih touch!

bemetu
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
whe kinna fish dat?.....deh look fresh!!....not like di one dem whe yu buy yah whe deh pon ice fi years!

bemetu
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Mmmmmm....those look delicious!
a tell yu!!....post di recipe mons!.......

Monwa
03-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by bemetu
whe kinna fish dat?.....deh look fresh!!....not like di one dem whe yu buy yah whe deh pon ice fi years!

Dah fresh barrow fish weh ah get dah market. Thank goodness ah get it early and ah fet it fuh 3 dollars a pound cause yesturday it was 8 - 10 bucks a pound.

Monwa
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by bemetu
a tell yu!!....post di recipe mons!.......

Will post it in a little.... ah still dih bloody bake and ah dih try start cook at the same time.... i home them gial nuh set mih rass up!

The Empress
03-21-2008, 10:21 AM
That looks delicious!!! And you didn't put too much raisins. I wish I knew someone coming from there so you could send me some :D

Monwa
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
fih true gial... ah woulda send some fuh u and beme! I guess unnu just have to come next year LOL

belizean
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I gwein da Vegas da mi ma house fi get hot cross bun. We will hafto settle for salmon today.

Monwa
03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
1Cup milk
1 little pack of yeast
1/2 Cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/3 Cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 eggs
5 Cups flour
1 1/3 Cup raisins ( i used less)
1 egg white

Glaze
1 1/3 C confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
2 Cups milk

-THis usually makes 2 dozen if u do them small but i like them a bit more chuncky so i get like 13 out of the batch.

In a small saucepan, heat milk not too hot.
Fit an electric mixer with a dough hook. ( if u don't have a mixer u can use a wooden spoon to mix)
Pour warm milk in the bowl of mixer and sprinkle yeast over.
Mix to dissolve and let sit for 5 minutes.

With mixer running at low speed, add sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs.
Gradually add flour, the dough wah be wet and sticky, but just continue kneading with dough hook until smooth or yo wooden stick fih about 5 minutes.
Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap or wah clean kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 30-45 minutes.

Then take out the dough and hand knead it until smooth and elastic, for about 3 more minutes.
Then add the raisins and knead until they mix in good.
Shape dough in a ball, place in a bowl, cover it and let rise.

Mek the dough sit at room temperature for about a 45 mins

Get a large baking pan with parchment paper (you could also lightly grease a baking pan, but parchment works better and i still grease the paper).

Divide dough into 24 equal pieces
Shape each portion into a ball and place on baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.
Cover with a clean kitchen towel and mek eh rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

In the meantime, pre-heat oven to 400° F.

When buns have risen, take a sharp or serrated knife and slash buns with a cross. Brush them with egg white and place in oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F, then bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes more.

Transfer to a wire rack. Whisk together glaze ingredients, and spoon over buns in a cross pattern.

and Viola! :bravo

Mosquitorose
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Mons, you could cook yukno? hahahah...gial now yu done put me inna di mood fe mek di buns mein...ah wah do it right now. The fish looks wonderful, mi baba de run and if DB nuh come get dem buns, somting wrang wid she hahahah

cho, mi wudden give her any, afta she could mek dem too...lone lazy rass duh she hahahahhahahaha

Oh Mons, I don't know how you cut the crosses but I use a kitchen sissors, it's so much easier....clip, clip.

Dj_RedEye
03-21-2008, 02:24 PM
:rolleyes:

Cant Get Right
03-21-2008, 03:19 PM
<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDM0NDQy"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDM0NDQy" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/techno-viking-grandma.html">Technoviking Grandma</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

Monwa
03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Mosquitorose
Mons, you could cook yukno? hahahah...gial now yu done put me inna di mood fe mek di buns mein...ah wah do it right now. The fish looks wonderful, mi baba de run and if DB nuh come get dem buns, somting wrang wid she hahahah

cho, mi wudden give her any, afta she could mek dem too...lone lazy rass duh she hahahahhahahaha

Oh Mons, I don't know how you cut the crosses but I use a kitchen sissors, it's so much easier....clip, clip.

thanks rosey.

Rosey i had to use a knife on the first batch cause i couldnt find mih kitchen scissors and and when ah done bake mih ole man tell me he had them LOL ohh well them come out perfect anyways and moist!

Monwa
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Dj_RedEye
:rolleyes:

Weh happen babes? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dream Babes
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM

cho, mi wudden give her any, afta she could mek dem too...lone lazy rass duh she hahahahhahahaha :snooty Now Now Ms. Rosey...nuh put bad tings eena Mons head.....:D :D!!!

Mons....I will be there a little later than I originally told you....My plans changed a little.....I will watch the race first!:party

THey look absolutely delicious.....Oh! I baked a ham today....Me nuh kay fuh fish! Is that bad luck? :D :D :D

Mosquitorose
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
:snooty Now Now Ms. Rosey...nuh put bad tings eena Mons head.....:D :D!!!

Mons....I will be there a little later than I originally told you....My plans changed a little.....I will watch the race first!:party

THey look absolutely delicious.....Oh! I baked a ham today....Me nuh kay fuh fish! Is that bad luck? :D :D :D

See deh Mons, eh done di frig roung...now eh wah be late hahahah...watch how she nuh come hahahahah...

DB, ham is betta gial....mi wah mek wah roast, mash potatoe and some kinda veggie and di bunn...on yes must go get some cheese mein.....

The Empress
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
My auntie gave me some bun dough:D :D
I have my man kneading and finishing it right now. I wish I had remembered the ingredients for the glaze. Anyway I bought some fish..........fillet :D :D The store with fresh fish was closed ok.
I will enjoy my bootleg version of Mo's meal........maybe I'll post pics:D

madarass
03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by The Empress
My auntie gave me some bun dough:D :D
I have my man kneading and finishing it right now. I wish I had remembered the ingredients for the glaze. Anyway I bought some fish..........fillet :D :D The store with fresh fish was closed ok.
I will enjoy my bootleg version of Mo's meal........maybe I'll post pics:D

Man di wear apron too? Got di man like how Mons mi got DJ di mash pear. :D :D :D

The Empress
03-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Please boy, my man's mother taught him not to depend on no woman to feed him. Most men I date know how to cook!:D
He don't need an apron, that's how good he's good :D

bzegirl
03-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Those buns looks yummy Mo. Girl you giving Rosy a run for her $$ :D

I had Chinese, no hot cross bun and fish. Ayeee I need a Belizean chef. :D :D :D Hmmn, maybe I can see how bun would come out in the bread maker?

Hey empress - how did the bootleg buns come out girl? :D

Monwa
03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by bzegirl

I had Chinese, no hot cross bun and fish. Ayeee I need a Belizean chef. :D :D :D Hmmn, maybe I can see how bun would come out in the bread maker?

HAHAHAHA! Girl im not as good as rosey but me love mih kitchen and im always experimenting.

Monwa
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by madarass
Man di wear apron too? Got di man like how Mons mi got DJ di mash pear. :D :D :D

I wah bat yo dah yo ears corna!:D :D :D :D Alteast there are some men weh cook fuh them woman left on this planet ... nothing wrong with that! We women tired ah cook sometimes so its nice to see them men man handle the kitchen for a while!

Dj_RedEye
03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by madarass

Funny...oh lawd miih side the haat mih:rofl :rofl :rofl

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by The Empress
Please boy, my man's mother taught him not to depend on no woman to feed him. Most men I date know how to cook!:D
He don't need an apron, that's how good he's good :D

Tell ahm Em gial. My son can cook mein and he nuh wear no apron needa oh......but he is a lova ah yer and he know how fe appreciate a woman and all she does...he will have a good life with some very lucky chicky.......man dat nuh help dem wife, are no good yer?

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Look like you love dah puss and daag food tru? hahahahah.....gial, I know it hard to cook when you work but trust me once you do a couple things you will never go back to restuarant food.

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 12:16 PM
HAHAHAHA! Girl im not as good as rosey but me love mih kitchen and im always experimenting.

You good now Mons and you will get betta....you love yu kitchen and that is the first step.....

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I wah bat yo dah yo ears corna!:D :D :D :D Alteast there are some men weh cook fuh them woman left on this planet ... nothing wrong with that! We women tired ah cook sometimes so its nice to see them men man handle the kitchen for a while!

True ting Mons. Ah tell hubby ah run dis house for 36 years or suh, mi fegit now hahahah...and it's his turn. Well he dah nuh cook and dah sin hahahah but honey, he duh everything else..and once me done cook , like every two or three days, me done hahahah......

Last night he come home bout 11pm, he mi gane dah daag track...and instead a mek buns ah mek the ginger cookies on the back of the molasses jar....aye! datta honey bun gial...we had honey bun....di man eat up and di smile up hahahahahahah

Monwa
03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
BLOODY DB... wah get eh *** beat when i see she... bloody set up! Nuh even bother come fuh yo share cause ah give it weh... i give wah lih ole man weh pass and seh eh hungry... he wah appreciate it more!

:mad:

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
BLOODY DB... wah get eh *** beat when i see she... bloody set up! Nuh even bother come fuh yo share cause ah give it weh... i give wah lih ole man weh pass and seh eh hungry... he wah appreciate it more!

:mad:

hahhahah ....see? ah mi tell yu...yu too fool gial..me wudda freeze dah rass yer? Afta dem freeze real good and when you heat dem up inna toaster oven dem taste just like just mek.....cho mi nuh giv weh mi ting dat easy....lone rass...

Monwa
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
rosey.. me gat wah lotta bun left. I made about 5 dozen LOL

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 06:13 PM
rosey.. me gat wah lotta bun left. I made about 5 dozen LOL

That's ok gial, yu pa will have it for his tea and later for snack...afta dem nice no rass mein....ah did just mix mine up gial...ah fling everything innna the kitchen aid and ah neva have fe duh anything,....and while that was kneading, ah hurry mek dinna inna 10 minutes....

Tuna patties

two cans albore tuna, two potatoes, one onion, one egg, saltine crackers (half ah stack), salt and peppa to taste.

I put the potatoes and onion in my chopper and chopped fine. I then added the drained tuna, the crushed cracker crumbs (crush and roll with rolling pin), the egg and salt and blk pep...mixed it all up. spoon into large frying pan with just a little olive oil....spread out with the spoon just like fritters and brown on one side and then the other......serve with homemade cooked apple or jam.....

meanwhile, I put put some brocclii in the micro for 5 and then 3 ,minutes, season and ting done....dinner in 10 minutes and meanwhile the dough is rising.......

Monwa
03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
That's ok gial, yu pa will have it for his tea and later for snack...afta dem nice no rass mein....ah did just mix mine up gial...ah fling everything innna the kitchen aid and ah neva have fe duh anything,....and while that was kneading, ah hurry mek dinna inna 10 minutes....

Gial rosey mih ole man he gawn dah PG yesturday but he ker eh stash... me one deh home i can't lef mih babies them alone ( my dogs hehehe) mih mih chiwahua done miss mih daddy and he nuh wah eat LOL

The Empress
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM

Tuna patties

two cans albore tuna, two potatoes, one onion, one egg, saltine crackers (half ah stack), salt and peppa to taste.

I put the potatoes and onion in my chopper and chopped fine. I then added the drained tuna, the crushed cracker crumbs (crush and roll with rolling pin), the egg and salt and blk pep...mixed it all up. spoon into large frying pan with just a little olive oil....spread out with the spoon just like fritters and brown on one side and then the other......serve with homemade cooked apple or jam.....

meanwhile, I put put some brocclii in the micro for 5 and then 3 ,minutes, season and ting done....dinner in 10 minutes and meanwhile the dough is rising.......

Hmmm that sounds good I think I will have to try that.

The Empress
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM

It was good, but I couldn't enjoy them because I ended up cussing him out before he left for work.:D :D

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
hahahha oh lawd what fun today. The tuna patties were delicious and the buns got baked and ah done eat 3 and hubby too....and ah done mek strawberry ice cream too......

Mosquitorose
03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by mellowman
Reply: I can only imagine the smell of hot-cross-buns and all the other great stuff around easter Sunday... Thanks Rosie and Monwa for keeping the seasons and tradition alive...

You guys are the best! God bless both of you...... Hope to meet both of you someday....

Aye bwai, the house smell so nice and we di eat the bun already....ah wah cook tomorrow...son done seh eh di come fe eat lol....So you have to work Mellow or you wah cook?

David 13
03-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Mons those are some nice looking buns you have there. wish i was there to taste. I love fish.
I went to this new Peruvian resturant and has a nice big fried red snapper for lunch.

Bez
03-23-2008, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David 13
[B]Mons those are some nice looking buns you have there. wish i was there to taste.

:D :D :D dat didn't come out right :D :D or is it just me and my perverted mind today. :D :D

David 13
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
D :D dat didn't come out right :D :D or is it just me and my perverted mind today. :D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

:D :D Yes Bez its ony you babes. I was talking about her nice buns.

Bez
03-23-2008, 08:09 PM
uumm yeah it's just me......................:D

Mosquitorose
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Today was such a nice day even though son didn't show up. I know he went to golf and he must have got drunk hahahah...anyway, my friend Martha came over with the biddies....her mom, who is 85 and her aunt Francis (my adobted aunt) who is 96.

I made then nice english tea (loose now, inna teapot) and Martha was quick to grab some buns and put butter and guava jam on them lol......the biddies had a nice time. I showed them some quilts and they looked at all my art and then watch the big tv some and had a good time.....

I was helping Aunt Francis to car, she is extreamly frail...and I felt that I was holding just a shell of a person. I mean it's just bone and skin, it amazing isn't it as we age how we just weather away.
Then I had this strange feeling. I felt that this was the last time I would see her alive.....I didn't feel bad about it or anything....it presented itself just like that, as a plain and simple thought......