PDA

View Full Version : Domestic violence in Belize

Belizeans.com
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Domestic violence has become a plague in Belize. This thread will be similar to the "AIDS in Belize" thread, reporting this chronic problem:

Ch 5:

Roaring Creek woman stabbed, ex on the run

http://www.7newsbelize.com/grc/news/011604b.jpg

What it is that has Belizean men so crazed may never be known but it is with a sense of profound sadness that I must report yet another case of extreme domestic violence. That's right, tonight one more woman lies hospitalised with stab wounds and her attacker has not yet been apprehended.

Ricardo Tzul, Uncle of Stabbing Victim
“Why run? Because they will eventually catch him, so come and give up yourself. You done cause a big trouble and definitely you have a lot of people against you. He mih done seh that the whole world is against him and that were some of the last words he used.”

Jacqueline Godwin, Reporting
Twenty-five year old Roaring Creek resident Kurt Vasquez remains on the run after he stabbed his ex-common law wife fifteen times all over her body. The family report that eighteen year old Nazelie Neal was knifed in front of her two children ages two and four. The young mother remains admitted in a serious but stable condition at the Western Regional Hospital.

Ricardo Tzul
“Well I see different injuries on her, face, body, and on her led and foot them. Some of her injuries look deep and wide. She doesn’t look that strong; she was talking in a weak voice. Well one of the legs apparently cannot move just like dead like.”

Neal and Vasquez reportedly started living together only three months ago following a long time relationship and Vasquez’s release from Hattieville Prison after serving a one year sentence for robbery. But things started to sour after the couple settled in this one bedroom house, the property of Ricardo Tzul. According to Tzul, three days ago he put Vasquez out of the house after he heard him threaten his niece. Tzul says on Saturday when he visited the couple, Neal told him that she had become unhappy in the relationship and wanted to end it. .

Ricardo Tzul
“Yes she definitely wanted to leave. She came and told me personally that she and Kurt done and that she don’t want anything with him and she no have no feelings for him. And he the tell me and the explain to me their problem how Nazelie broke up with him and he gave me some reasons why, you know. I told him well if the gial no love you and she no want you no more whatever the case may be just walk out.”

According to Tzul that is when Vasquez, who already had a bag packed, threatened to kill Neal.

Ricardo Tzul
“Well the words, the aggravation and the attitude. The aggression that he used against her; the way he talk to her. I will kill you and I will beat you are plain kill words you know. I mean when I start to hear those words the come out of his mouth that is when I really intervened. That is when I decided that okay I will put hand in this and said Kurt you have to come out of my house and whatever you have in my house I will put it out on the road. So I put it out on the road and when I put it on the road I gave indication that I don’t want him in my yard no more. When we call the police and I make the police know I even showed them the items across the road that I put across the road and made them know that all I want dah mek he no come back in my yard. I had Kurt as a very close friend, I know Kurt from he small and he grow up amongst me. I am almost like Kurt Pa or brother, to put it that way.”

Vasquez reportedly picked up his belongings and left the area. Neal told police that around eight on Monday night she was home when Vasquez returned to the residence and entered the house without her permission. An argument started and that is when Vasquez pulled out a knife and started stabbing Neal to her face, right breast, arms and legs. As Vasquez reportedly pulled Neal onto this wooden bench outside the house, he continued to attack her until a family friend having heard Neal’s screams went to see what was happening. Vasquez reportedly told the woman, “I no finish with her yet”, and he ran off allegedly saying that he would be back to finish the job.

Ricardo Tzul
“I do understand that he didn’t waste any time. He just come in and maybe didn’t even start an argument and he just did what he said he would do a long time ago. If I was around he would not have done anything, so he for the moment that I wasn’t around to come in and do something and that’s the corner he found.”

It is reported that although people in the neighbourhood were home at the time of the incident and did hear the screams only one person ran to help. Today the family remains cautiously optimistic about Neal’s full recovery.

Ricardo Tzul
“We definitely want her to recover. We hope that she recovers and we believe that she will make it. Everybody is worrying and a lot of people are talking about. What I am noticing is that people hear things like this is happening across the country. This just happen at Belize and now it repeats itself at Roaring Creek, I mean some bad spirit is around.”

It is believed that Kurt Vasquez may still be hiding somewhere in the village. He is of brown complexion with black hair and a tattoo marked Lydia on his upper right shoulder. There are also two more tattoos, an eagle and a woman's face, on his chest. If you know the whereabouts of Kurt Vasquez call crime stoppers at 0-800-922-8477 or the nearest police station. That same plea applies to accused killer Louie Ganzie, who has eluded police since January third, when it is believed he fatally stabbed his girlfriend. An anonymous donor has contributed an additional two hundred fifty dollars to the reward for Ganzie, bringing the total to two thousand two hundred fifty dollars.

Ch 7:
Teen Mother Survives 15 Stabs from Crazed Ex-Boyfriend
Tonight, we have another story to report of a young woman brutally assaulted with a blade by her husband, in this case her ex-common law husband. 18-year-old Roaring Creek Resident Nazelie Neal lived to tell of how her ex came to her last night in a murderous rage. We spoke to her and her mother at the Belmopan Hospital today.

Today as her sister adjusts the dressing on Nazelie Neal's hand, you wouldn't know that this 18-year-old mother of two just survived a deadly attack from her ex common law husband Kurt Vasquez-Gill. From her hospital bed, she told us that she put him out on Saturday - and she went to the police on Sunday because he threatened to kill her. And because of that last night he came to her house in a rage; it all unfolded in front of her children, one two years old, the other three.

Nazelie Neal, Survived 15 Stabs
"Last night when I went outside to get my baby's bottle, he went outside and he attacked me. And we were there struggling and when we were struggling, my son told him to leave me alone and he went towards my baby. And as he went towards my baby, I went in front of my son and I told him to go inside. Then when I did that, I slipped down and I knocked my head and by the time I managed to get up, he already had the knife and that is when he stabbed me behind my leg. When I got up, because when he already did that, I still managed to get up, and when I got up, that is when he stabbed me right here."

After that she collapsed, and he continued to stab her even after she fell on the ground - a total of 15 times according to doctors, including stabs to her breast and legs.

Nazelie Neal,
"I told him to leave me alone and that is when he stabbed me right here on my breast and then after that I just passed out, I don't know how I got the next two stabs on my hand and on my leg."

Today her mother Loretta Neil was outraged, but grateful:

Loretta Neil, Mother
"I am happy that she is alive because when I got the message from my sister I was touched but I feel a lot hurt because she is my first baby and I struggled a lot to help her alone and so by that I was so touched."

And while she's touched, she wants police to arrest the man who tried to kill her daughter.

Loretta Neil,
"I am not about it because the children are so young, three years and 2 years old. That is shock to anyone because everyone has a child and that is not right to do to anyone. We should come and love each other and kill someone. I feel something needs to be done about this. I just hope he gives up himself before it is too late because the running he is doing won't do any good, it will only make worse and longer for him and he should have think about how he just stabbed this girl and I live with this girl, I sleep next to this girl, this girl does everything for me as a woman and man should do for other and he just stabbed her like that. It is not nice man, it is not something nice."

And this mother has advice for this young man.

Loretta Neil,
"If I meet him face to face I would tell him to sit down and ask why he did this to my daughter. I would tell him I don't feel he should have done this. If he even got angry, he should have just gotten up and walked and take it out of something and not my daughter because she didn't do that to him. Why did he have to do her that and she cares for him? I think he did wrong and he shouldn't have done it. He is a man, be a man and not be a boy because he already has a child. So I would say to him how would he like it if someone just came and stabbed his daughter like how I felt it for my daughter. I am strong here because of the good Lord but I don't know about him where he is. And he has a daughter so if someone came and just stabbed her, how you think he would feel."

And now Nazelie Neal says she may be suffering form he wounds, but she is not intimidated:

Nazelie Neal,
"I am not afraid of him. He already threatened and told me it is not done yet and that he would kill me. I am not afraid of him and I will not back down from it because he wasn't supposed to do something like this because he saw it on the news already how those men kill their ladies and thing like that and I don't know why he did that in front of my kids. I am not backing down from it, no matter what."

Kurt Vasquez also known as Kurt Gill is still at large. He faces charges of attempted murder and use of deadly means of harm.

Belizeans.com
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Ch 5:

Cop intervenes in domestic disputes; gets whopped, bitten

Meanwhile in Belize City, a woman who found herself in the middle of a domestic disturbance was unharmed, but the same could not be said for the police officer who came to her aid. On Sunday, a police patrol responded to a call from Diana Trujeque that her common-law husband, Lincoln Green, was intoxicated and breaking items in her house. But when P.C. William Usher arrived at one seventy-one George Street to try and diffuse the situation, Green struck the cop in his head with a frying pan. To add insult to injury, when Usher then tried to arrest Green, the man proceeded to bite the officer on his thumb. Green was eventually detained and charged with Resisting Arrest, Wounding, and Assaulting a Police Officer. The thirty-four year old appeared in court today and pled guilty to the resisting charge for which he was fined a hundred and fifty dollars. Green also fessed up to wounding and was hit with another four hundred dollars by Magistrate Albert Hoare. If he does not pay the monies by February sixteenth, Green will spend two months in jail for resisting arrest and another four for wounding. The assault charge was withdrawn.

bemetu
01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
i hope pato read dis.....

PATO
01-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by bemetu
somebody di look fi company. Just dih adda day yo mih di ring off ie cellie, weh gaan aan?
Dah neva u mih wah Lakers come juk yo, till when ie find out yo old and dry up...now yo di try seh di bwai beat gal, please gu geh wah man or wah woman, oh...ah wah life:peace

bemetu
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Just dih adda day yo mih di ring off ie cellie, weh gaan aan?
dat a whe ih tell yu no!.......:D yu have a lot fi lawn tata duhende:D

bemetu
01-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Dah neva u mih wah Lakers come juk yo, till when ie find out yo old and dry up.
tank god i neva give him a taste a dis nice ting:D .......so you stay right deh and be ih punching bag.....po ting!

bemetu
01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
now yo di try seh di bwai beat gal,
po ting!....you're in denial .......but dah so di cycle of domestic violence go!.....one day you'll see the light......

madarass
01-17-2007, 01:07 AM
But Bemetu, me yer seh yuh like when man choke yuh when yuh di juk.

lakers
01-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by bemetu

Yeah Gal, If Pato made my friend look bad as she did to your friend.... I would try fi spoil eh shine tu.

Just keep in mind

When you di talk that rass, you di hall me into it

:noway

If da nu so, da naily so

:lmao

rockview
01-17-2007, 09:14 AM
THE MEDIA SHOULD STOP REPORTING FATAL ACTS OF DOMESTIC VIOENCE AGAINST WOMEN.

ilam96
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
why? coz the dead cyah talk?

belizean
01-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rockview
THE MEDIA SHOULD STOP REPORTING FATAL ACTS OF DOMESTIC VIOENCE AGAINST WOMEN.

Why is that Rockview? You think it will encourage others to kill dem ooman?

rockview
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Exactly, it will encourage others to do the same. The same as in suicide, if the media reports people drinking gramaxone as their last rite, others will copy too. "Weh monkye si and hear, monkey do".
The media report on these events because it gives them higher ratings.

belizean
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Cho rass! Hiding these tragic incidents (domestic violence) by sticking your head in the ground like an ostrich, will continue to exacerbate the problem.

ilam96
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
soh how di ooman dem suppose to get encouraged to get out of an abusive relationship if nobadi wa talk bout it?

bemetu
01-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah Gal, If Pato made my friend look bad as she did to your friend.... I would try fi spoil eh shine tu.
bwai no mek ooman tun yu into pu $$y bwai like mellowman now yunno :noway :D

bemetu
01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Any man would choke ie rass, if dem wake up next mawning and had to look at this:
bwai puhlease!!!.........your weave wering , tiad body ooman cyaa stan up next to me pu $$y bwai!!..........i'm a naturally beautiful ooman .....i no need no hawse hair or pounds of make up fi mek i look good...oh!

bemetu
01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
yeah...and mek sure yu post a current picha....di one whe show dat her hairline is receding from all di weave wearing......and di one dat show all di wrinkles on her face from years of wering pounds of makeup....and di one whe show her droopy titi and droopy batty!....

bemetu
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
oh and post one whe show you with yu head fulla grey hair.....left miss clairol lone!!:D

belizeanstunna
01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Mein thats messed up

The things that the some of the men are doing to some of the women in Belize is terrible. You should always treat the women like a queen, even if they piss you off, always treat the women like the queens that they are. You dont need to kill or stab or attack the women like that.

BmpGurl
01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by belizeanstunna
Mein thats messed up

The things that the some of the men are doing to some of the women in Belize is terrible. You should always treat the women like a queen, even if they piss you off, always treat the women like the queens that they are. You dont need to kill or stab or attack the women like that.

It's dominance thing. Jus like wit dogs and how dem behave.

And if you noh obey me, ah wan tek yuh out, bring yuh down to size!

lakers
01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Listen Bee,

The cus words sound good, you get points fi them

I nu di argue with you

I di seh if you wa go at it with Pato lef me out-ah-it

The R@ss you di talk bout have everything fi do with me

And if you nu like it when I defend miself dat da yur problem

Holla

:afro

bemetu
01-17-2007, 05:43 PM
And if you nu like it when I defend miself dat da yur problem
i love it when a man defend ihself......just no get physical because yu wha get more dah a shoe heel eena yu head top:D

bemetu
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
The R@ss you di talk bout have everything fi do with me
bwai!!....me neva mention fi you name eena dis chread at all.......look like yu di get fool fool to rass:D

Citygirl
01-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I think that this thread's name should be changed to "Domestic Violence on Belizeans.Com".. :D :D

sweet_lime
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
...me still dih try figure out weh Lakers mean by..."If da nu so, da naily so"... :smoke

bemetu
01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
lakers get pu $$y whiped mon!!....ih cyaa even see straight no more:D

PATO
01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
:scared
Now ah di geh canfuse. I mih tink dah Lakers dih gal wah, but ie look like dah me:scared

come aff ah mi name nuh star

bzegirl
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by sweet_lime
...me still dih try figure out weh Lakers mean by..."If da nu so, da naily so"... :smoke

:D :D :D Sorry gial but I have to tek bad thing mek laugh :D :D Ah hope nobody think you're going crazy, or getting fool fool. :D :D :D

lakers
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
If da attention you di look fa, yu nu wa get it from me

I da fool fool but you da nu fool fool so I'm sure you can see the connection between me and da thread

Anyway.... come back with as much sleck and disrespectful reply yu wa b/c I dun talk

:peace

bemetu
01-18-2007, 10:20 AM
If da attention you di look fa, yu nu wa get it from me
oh lawd!!....dis got to be a joke:D

bemetu
01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Now ah di geh canfuse. I mih tink dah Lakers dih gal wah, but ie look like dah me
dat a whe lakers tell yu no!......tell lakers deh kinna games are played out!:D....only lee pickney play dem kinna games.....

sweet_lime
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by bzegirl
:D :D :D Sorry gial but I have to tek bad thing mek laugh :D :D Ah hope nobody think you're going crazy, or getting fool fool. :D :D :D
oh lawd.....:rofl

me wah know if ...."dah naily suh"....always apply.... to everything we've heard....or only to "specially marked items"....like dah deh sale....:D :D :D

lakers
01-18-2007, 04:20 PM
oh lawd.....:rofl

me wah know if ...."dah naily suh"....always apply.... to everything we've heard....or only to "specially marked items"....like dah deh sale....:D :D :D

nu worry babes...di person who it was intended for get it...

it wasn't a Senior-moment.

:peace

Another Belizean
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Mellowman stap playing with that toy gun, hear?

Another Belizean
01-18-2007, 05:56 PM
You're scaring me in that picture. I'm not coming back in here. :drive

Bez
01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
:D :D :D :D AB I thought di same :drive

sweet_lime
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
...dah what di scare unnu.....all di bottle ah pills, bay rum and limacol....?

:coffee :lmao :rofl:

Another Belizean
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
:rofl like mi cuz always sey "you could fk wid it" gial. :lmao

Another Belizean
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Dayum, I tripped up in here by mistake. :drive :drive :drive :drive

Citygirl
01-18-2007, 06:57 PM

:coffee :lmao :rofl :D :D :D :D

Belizeans.com
01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Ryzden Clare Plans Vigil for Murdered Moms as a result of domestic violence.

Ryzden Clare - he is the young dub poet who made his breakthrough with 2005's 'Better Dayz.' He has been quiet since while he works on a new album. But now, he has taken a break from recording for something he says is much more important than music. Ryzden (Rizden) is organizing a candlelight vigil in memory of the mothers who have been killed as a result of domestic violence. It is scheduled for Saturday night and he dropped by our studios this morning to tell us more.

Ryzden Clare, Organizer
"I am hosting a candlelight vigil at the south side children's park and that is the park right next to the Civic and you can forget all the circus because we've been in a circus from day one with these gimmicks that have been going on so we need to bring it to an end. So anyone who is willing to come out and support, it will be greatly appreciated. It will be on Saturday and it will be from six until nine.

It definitely will be just a candlelight vigil and it will be next to the river and you could create your nice ornament and have it whereby it could float. Put the candle beside it and we will definitely have some individuals with canoes out there to remove them to keep the place looking nice afterwards.

The long and short of it is that if you are against violence then you will put yourself out there and represent. Who said that the father doesn't work on the Sabbath day? So come out and support if you have faith."

Again Saturday's vigil begins at 6 pm in park next to the City Center. It runs until 9 pm. The only thing you need to bring is a candle.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/grc/news/011806b.jpg

CherriBlossum
01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Way cool

PATO
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by mellowman
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114/belizean007/glnak47-1.jpg

Reply: HANDSOME MELLOW GREYMAN WID HIS AK-47

:D:D:D

Yaah Mello, u look good with or w/out the grey hair.

Mek Bemetu know a head full a grey hair much betta than wah head weh nuh gah no hair like fi she dry head

belizean
01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Where's the banana clip for that AK?

ilam96
01-18-2007, 09:32 PM

look like bottle a baby ayle tu :D :D :D

bemetu
01-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Yaah Mello, u look good with or w/out the grey hair.
look good!:D ......whe?:D

bemetu
01-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Mek Bemetu know a head full a grey hair much betta than wah head weh nuh gah no hair like fi she dry head
:D .....look like fi me name stay eena yu head notru:D

madarass
01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Bemetu why yuh nuh grow yuh locks?

brnsgr40
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mellowman
[B]Reply:

:D :D :D :D to whoa-aye-aye naps. I haven't heard that one in a while.

Another Belizean
01-19-2007, 03:47 PM
.............with sporadic growth of whoa-aye-aye naps....... :D:D:D:D

madarass
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM

Now di gyal head look like man balls, with sporadic growth of whoa-aye-aye naps

That is the funniest shyt i read in quite some time. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BmpGurl
01-19-2007, 05:18 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Belizeans.com
01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Students, survivors march against domestic violence

The arrest of Louie Ganzie Gentle and Kurt Vasquez has done little to quell the public outcry against the recent spate of domestic violence. This morning, News Five's Jacqueline Godwin attended an event designed to harness those feelings into positive action.

Today’s march against domestic violence and abuse was organized by the staff and students of Saint Catherine’s Academy but also included members of concerned organizations, survivors of domestic abuse and young men and women from other educational institutions.

Angela Francis, Poet
“Today, another woman will cry, not of natural cause but of fear, violence, scars and bruise that many live in secret for years. We now see it as a tear in another woman’s eyes who silently cries.”

This morning, the Police Department displayed a collection of weapons that have been used against to hurt women.

The general consensus is that it will take a unified approach to effectively address the crime that in the past two months have ended the lives of twenty seven year old Anna Basto, twenty eight year old Karel Ogaldez Gabourel and twenty eight year old Keisha Sutherland. Survivors like Delvorine Duheaney and Lorna Wade say the recent tragedies have made them even more determined to help save other women’s lives.

Delvorine Duheaney, Survivor, Domestic Violence
“We as women we are making our voices heard but it seems like the men are not taking this very seriously.”

Lorna Wade, Survivor, Domestic Violence
“It just feels sad that even though we are speaking out and appealing to the public and everyone to help us to break this domestic violence people are losing their lives and children are losing their moms. So right now we are asking and appealing to help us to end this violence.”

Supporters of today’s event are hoping the march will help inspire others to join in the fight and stop the violence.

Carolyn Reynolds, Executive Director, Women’s Issues Network, Belize
“Well our position is zero tolerance when it comes to domestic violence. We have been working on this issue for sometime now.”

Salome Tillett, Principal, S.C.A
“This year we decided that we wanted to stand in support and solidarity with the women who have been victims of domestic violence. In particular because we are a school that serves women.”

Khadija Usher, Student, S.C.A
“Well it is a very important march because it has an important meaning behind it, and as women we must defend our fellow women who are in domestic violence every day.”

Robin Schaffer, Student, S.C.A
“Domestic violence is a terrible thing. It kills people and it orphans children and this march is very important and we hope to get the message out.”

Carol Fonseca, Executive Director, Women’s Department
“You know a lot of times in our society we speak about the negatives when it comes to young people … and I think today clearly indicates that our young people are concerned about what is happening and they are concerned about the fact that they want their voices heard and clearly we have heard their voices today.”

The awareness rally was also a time for the families who lost a loved one through domestic violence to speak out.

Clifford Lennox Sutherland, Keisha Sutherland’s Grandfather
“You love them, you raise them and you send them to school so that they may strive for excellence to better their conditions in life, but somewhere along the way they get distracted by the things of the world and the men of the world. Boy and girl thing is a funny thing, “darling no worry about that I will take care of it”, that doesn’t work because you must stand firm on your direction towards your goal.”

Rosalie Ogaldez, Karel Gabourel’s Sister
“They did see their pa haul the knife so they already knew and they expected it, just that they felt it was just a stab.”

Karel Gabourel’s three children ages nine to twelve years old are being counselled.

Lorna Wade
“I am appealing to the young girls, you have your whole life in front of you don’t let them take it away and don’t let them cut it short.”

Delvorine Duheaney
“I feel that the reason people are not really reaching out is because most women are still in denial and feel shame of the situation that they are living in, but we cannot give up. It is not an overnight thing.”

Jacqueline Godwin for News Five.

Belizeans.com
01-20-2007, 08:07 AM
IS FAMILY COURT ANTI-MEN?

A father of several says his wife is committing adultery and openly taunting him about it (restraint, restraint). She took him to Family Court to get him out of the house. He did admit he slapped her twice and punched her once or twice (wrong, wrong ). He was ordered to leave his house for three months (anger, anger) and he is to pay his cheating wife $125.00 out of $170.00 every week (resentment and vexation).

Think About It: Bz Times

Belizeans.com
01-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Cayo man charged for assaulting wife

Four days after students and survivors took to streets of Belize City to march against domestic violence there is another disturbing case to report, this time from the Cayo District. According to police, forty-three year old Jesus Lobos has been arrested and charged with assault after officers intercepted him looking for his wife, armed with a machete. According to Officer in Charge of San Ignacio, Senior superintendent David Henderson, during a Saturday night public meeting with Georgeville Village residents a twenty-five year old woman reported that she had just been assaulted by her common law husband. When Henderson and his deputy went to investigate they found Lobos on his way to the same meeting. He has since been remanded to Hattieville Prison. Henderson and his team were in Georgeville to address the villagers' concerns on a number of issues including gang violence and community watches.

Belizeans.com
01-27-2007, 08:48 AM
WOMEN SHOULD START TO …

Saw the march. Heard the public expression of concern. Recall the three victims of domestic violence brutally slain. In less than four weeks time it will all be forgotten. Women continued to be beaten. But first check this, last Tuesday or Wednesday night on West Canal Street, Belize City, the terrifying screams, of a woman being beaten pierced the tranquil night. The screams, said neighbors were bloody curdling. They lasted a long time and no one ventured to intervene. Police arrived some sixty minutes thereafter.
Both victim and abuser were driven off to the Police Station. Many hours later they returned. The woman declined to press charges. The next morning after the abuser went to work neighbors gathered to get the low- down. The story is that the abuser stayed out late. He returned drunk and wanted five dollars for a taxi or a food. The woman had no money. The beating started. (Those who claim to know say the abuser uses any excuse to beat their women). The beating consisted of choking, kicks and punches, over and over and over. The woman’s face, arms, legs, sides, stomach and breasts bore the ugly evidence.

She wishes she could leave she told her neighbors, but she had nowhere to go. With no employment, no skills, no support for her traumatized child who frequently witnesses her beatings; she was a domestic slave to a dog who drank alcohol and beat the sh*t out of her.

Neighbors say one of these nights, or days, she will either kill him or more likely he will kill her. And then there will be a march or public expression of concern from certain quarters.

Although more likely she will become just another statistic. You see, part of the problem is this: domestic violence is a complicated matter to resolve. It is for more widespread than our society is prepared to accept. Involved are the emotions of human beings. Woman loves man, can’t understand why he says he loves her but keeps beating the love out of her. Many women would leave but with children, no money, nowhere to go, they feel trapped and understandably so.

As for the men? Those two-foot dogs need to be named and shamed. We support a law which would allow pursuing court action even where the woman declines or fears to press charges. We strongly support a proper network which provides employment , a safe house and counseling so victims of this dark evil can escape to a better life.

Until then somewhere this minute a woman is being threaten and slapped and punched and kicked and terrorized. Her little children traumatized and wondering what kind of nightmare has fallen over them.

Women should start to stab up such men. Bet you no jury would find them guilty. Bet you domestic violence would be drastically reduced.

Need a knife lady?

By "Think About It": Belize Times

Belizeans.com
02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Women’s group to hold “Speak Out” on gender issues

In many instances, a group of women sitting down talking informally is dismissed as gossiping. But this week, a Belize City based organisation is hoping to capitalise on that social atmosphere to create an open space for women to address the issues facing their gender. The event is called a Speak Out and is the brain child of the Women's Circle. According to organiser Joyce Flowers, the idea is for Belizean women to advocate for change on issues like domestic violence, health concerns, and economic reality with one voice.

Joyce Flowers, Organizer, Women’s Circle Speak Out
“We see domestic violence, we see young women who should be in school and they are not in school; I mean they don’t come to me for help but we feel like if we do something we can assist with things like these right.”

Janelle Chanona
“And you hoping the Speak Out will...”

Joyce Flowers
“We are hoping that women will respond and come to the Speak Out; we want to hear how women feel and what they are facing so we can work together. Women need to learn to work together to help each other to succeed in life.”

“I want to take this opportunity to invite all women, especially young women, to come out tomorrow evening at the St. Martin’s Community Centre, the building just behind the police station, at five-thirty in the evening to speak on their issues, this is a forum for women to speak out!”

According to Flowers, the work of the Women's Circle will include personal development programmes, life skills training, and small business assistance.

Belizeans.com
03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Education Fund Set Up for Children Affected by Domestic Violence

An education fund has been established for nine children who have lost a parent or both parents as a result of domestic violence.
The fund contains monies which were collected at a Prayer Service held on January 19th and organized by the Women’s Department. It will include additional donations made by the students and staff of St. Catherine’s Academy, an anonymous donor and the Police Department.

A final donation was also made by Mr. Karl and Dorothy Menzies who provided $900, on the condition that the money is put towards an education fund at the Holy Redeemer Credit Union.

The total money collected for the children was $3,166.18.

The Women’s Department consulted with the families who agreed on the establishment of the education fund for the children.

Yesterday, Monday, February 12th, the children to benefit from the education fund and their guardians, gathered at the Holy Redeemer Credit Union to collect their credit union books and convey their personal thanks to the Women’s Department and the Menzies family.

Mr. Karl Menzies took some time out to address the children. He spoke briefly about his life experience as a poor child growing up in Belize City. He said he has been saving in the credit union since he was a child who had to work to support his family.

Mr. Menzies told the children that the purpose of the education fund was to support their school expenses, from pre-school to university, because education is a way out of poverty.

However, he also encouraged them to study hard and excel in school which could further assist by awarding them with a scholarship.

The children range from ages 1 year to 14 years. The youngest and oldest in the group, Makeda and Latifa, are the children of Takisha “Empress” Sutherland who was murdered, allegedly by her common-law husband Louie “Ganzie” Gillett.

Also benefiting from the fund are the children of Carol Gabourel who was killed, reportedly by her common-law, and the children of Nurse Ana Marie Basto whose common-law husband confessed to committing the murder.

According to Mr. Menzies while the account benefit’s from the Credit Union’s 7.5% interest annually, his family will continue to make donations to each of the children’s savings regularly.

He warned that if any of the children drop out of school his/her account will be closed and shared among the rest. He asked the families/guardians of the children to provide the best guidance and to be faithful credit union members.

Persons who want to contribute to the education fund could contact the Women’s Department at 227-7397.

Mosquitorose
03-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Now that is well put together.....

bzegirl
03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree. There has to be check, balances and accountability.

Belizeans.com
03-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Belizeans denounce domestic violence on Intl. Women’s Day

Today is being observed globally as International Women's Day ... and if this year's observance seems a little more important than in year's past, it's because in recent months the issue of violence against women has hit Belize like a shotgun blast. In late 2006 and early 2007, no less than three women were brutally murdered and several others critically injured by the men in their lives. News Five's Kendra Griffith reports.

Sylvia Flores, Minister of Human Development
“Every time a man’s voice a joins those of women in speaking out against violence, Belize will become a safer place for all of us.”

Kendra Griffith, Reporting
With a theme of “Women and Men United to End Violence Again Women,” the Second Annual Women’s Summit got underway today at the Radisson before a packed house.

Carol Fonseca, Director, Women’s Department
“One of the things we have been calling for repeatedly is for the involvement of more men in discussing the whole issue and this is what we are doing here today. I am very glad that we see several men here and hopefully we will be able to come to a greater understanding of the impact that this is having on the lives of so many of our women and men and our children”

“One of the things that we continue to lobby and advocate for is for men themselves to take the initiative, to begin to have organisations and agencies that reach out to other men. At the Women’s Department we feel that it is not up to us as women to take that initiative, men must make take that initiative so that they can realise that it’s important that they look after their own interests. And we also feel that, let’s face it, in our society men will more listen to men.”

Bolstering the efforts to end gender-based violence was the announcement today by Attorney General Francis Fonseca that the current Domestic Violence Act will be replaced with a more effective version.

Sylvia Flores
“The new bill increases the power of the family court, provides more severe criminal penalties, expands the category of people who may apply, and gives greater powers to the police in their response.”

Francis Fonseca
“The Domestic Violence Bill will be approved by Cabinet at its next meeting on March thirteenth and tabled in the National Assembly at its next regular sitting. The Domestic Violence Act, my friends, 2007 will signal a policy of zero tolerance for domestic violence, but as you know only too well, legislation can be rendered meaningless if our institutions and citizens do not give meaningful effect and support to that legislation.”

And to ensure that support is in place when the legislation comes into effect, the Women’s Department convened panel presentations focussing on the role of influential societal institutions.

Carol Fonseca
“We felt that this was an opportune time for us to bring together the key and critical agencies that are responsible to help to assist to eliminate violence against women. So today at this summit we have representatives from the judiciary, from the police, from the media, from the church, from our schools, from community based organizations, and from N.G.O.’s as well who will be speaking on the issue and discussing the critical role that they play.”

But while domestic violence was the topic on the front burner today, Women’s Department Director Carol Fonseca says it’s only one of the many issues affecting women in Belize. Others include HIV/AIDS.

Carol Fonseca
“Way back in 1986, the ratio was like five to one, now it’s one to one in terms of male and females, so there is certainly a serious concern in the area of HIV/AIDS. Cervical cancer is another important issue, maternal mortality; these are some of the issues that are of concern to us at the Women’s Department as well.”

In addition to the Women’s Summit, other activities today included a quilt launching, a women’s clinic in San Antonio, and a WIN-Belize Volleyball Competition to be held tonight at the Y.W.C.A. Kendra Griffith reporting for News Five.

Activities for Friday include women's groups feeding the homeless in Belize City, while in Orange Walk they will be holding a Men Against Violence information fair.

Belizeans.com
03-09-2007, 07:30 AM
San Pedro woman stabbed by drunken husband

And on Monday while Belizeans were marking the opening of Women's Week, a female resident of San Pedro was feeling the pain of a violent attack. According to police, sixty year old Phillipa Rosalez reported to authorities that on Monday evening her common-law husband, fifty-two year old David Cruz, came home drunk. Something apparently displeased him, and in a rage he stabbed Rosalez in the chest. Cruz has been arrested and charged for Dangerous Harm and Attempted Murder.

Belizeans.com
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
WOMEN UNITED AGAINST VIOLENCE

Women’s Week is being celebrated from March 3 – 9, 2007 and tomorrow, March 8 Belize joins countries throughout the world in observing International Women’s Day, which represents centuries of struggle for equality, justice, peace and development. This year our theme is Women and Men United to End Violence Against Women which focuses on acknowledging the contributions of women to the strengthening of equality and development and emphasizes the need for us to unite as women and men to bring about meaningful change. The significance of Women’s Week lies in the opportunity it provides us as a nation to reflect on those challenges that face women throughout our country and to renew our commitment and determination to confront them.
Last year’s Summit focused on revisiting and redefining our roles as women within the fields of Education; Sexual and Reproductive Health and Leadership and Decision-Making. This year’s Summit carries us to another level, one which unites us as women and men and forces us to examine the ways we have been interacting, communicating, and treating each other as women and men. It is not a subject we often care to speak out on, but the fact is that as a society we cannot afford to continue to be silent on this issue.

Over the past few months the very fabric of our nation has been shaken with hideous acts of domestic violence that led to the death of Nurse Anna Basto, Karel Gabourel and Keisha Sutherland. These tragedies have forced us to ask ourselves: How have we reached this point in our society where a man feels he has no other option but to murder a woman; even more painful is - how have we reached a point where a man murders a woman, the mother of his children, in front of his very children? This extreme form of violence, referred to as femicide constitutes a constant and systematic violation of human rights and women rights.

This year’s Women’s Summit speaks directly to the Belizean Reality of domestic violence. Representatives from the judiciary, police, ombudsman office, church, media, men’s groups, community-based organizations, government and non-government organizations have been invited to speak about their role in assisting to end violence against women. The Attorney General will speak about the introduction of the Domestic Violence Bill 2007 which seeks to repeal the current Domestic Violence Act of 1992, and introduce a new Act which increases the power and jurisdiction of the Family Court and provides more severe criminal penalties in respect to domestic violence offences.

The 2nd Annual Summit serves as well as an opportunity for us to ask ourselves how can we become more involved in consistently disseminating information on violence against women, and not only when women are killed or seriously injured? How do we get more men to become involved in eliminating violence against women? How do we get women to recognize that they are being abused and that there are support services in place that allow them to take control of their lives? How do we get more churches to address the problem of violence against women within their congregation? How do we get more NGO’s and UN agencies to become involved in assisting us? How do we as a government set the example, through our actions, that violence against women will not be accepted or tolerated and will be dealt with as a crime?

It is answers to these types of questions that will determine the direction forward and will shape society’s perception of how to deal with domestic violence. It is these answers that must lead to a social transformation as it relates to how we treat each other as women and men, girls and boys. We have reached a point where there has to be change in behaviours and attitudes that have for too long allowed us as a society to accept violence against women.

Too many of us continue to see domestic violence as a private issue, as something that has to be worked out between a man and a woman. Too many of us who work with victims of domestic violence continue to be insensitive to their needs. Too many of us remain silent when we see our family members, friends, co-workers, with bruises and scars. Too many of us see it as someone else’s problem.

This social transformation, we are calling for, must start within the home – with the way we talk as men to our wives, our daughters, our sons. With the way as women we raise our sons. Change must start within our schools, where too many children are dealing with the effects of domestic violence. Change must begin within our churches, where too many continue to be silent about domestic violence, child abuse and HIV/AIDS. Change must begin with women refusing to accept abuse. Change must begin with men realizing the importance of their role as husbands and fathers. Change must begin with women and men uniting and supporting each other.

Belizeans.com
03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Wendy Dialogues with Sacred Essence

I was very fortunate to have had the chance to mingle and chat with several of the members of the Sacred Essence Women’s group while they worked on the curb appeal project at St. Catherine’s on Tuesday, March 6, 2007.
Resoundingly, the message for women and girls of Belize is that change comes from within. According to one woman, “the strongest battles are fought on the battleground of our minds.”

This is the first trip to Belize for Karen Earl who is with the Jenesse Center in Los Angeles, a non-profit domestic violence intervention center founded by African Americans. When asked why she is here, Ms. Earl was enthusiastic that she is here to support and show solidarity with Belize.

According to Monique Brown of the Amer-I-Can Women and Girls U.S. non-profit organization, she would like to bring life management skills training to women and girls so that they are able to overcome advise circumstances and conditions. “I believe the men should be the head of the household, but he needs to be trained.” said Ms. Brown. “He needs to lead with kindness and with benevolence and with respect. Many times they are victims of their own conditioning that they need to learn to be a new man -- to lead with respect. All the responsible men, they take care of their families, they take care of their children, they do not go to jail, or if they have been to jail, they do not go back. They are pillars of strength.”

For Belizean Lisa Buckley of Youth for the Future, interacting with these admirable and inspirational women has been an unforgettable experience. Lisa has been with Youth for the Future for four months. She was excited to be asked to be a Mentee for the program. Lisa’s advice to Belize is that in life you should not give up. According to Lisa “there are lots of chances for us out there. I am a mom, and I never thought I would have the chance to take a computer class and at Youth for the Future, I did. It doesn’t matter if you are old or you are young, you can be someone if you want.”

For Corinne Sherzell, her trip to Belize is bittersweet. Corinne was raised by an adoptive family in the US, but her birth family is from Belize. So when her adoptive mother met Ms. Shabazz last year at a party and she invited them to come, they did. This is their second year. According to Corinne, when she got off the plane in Belize, people were welcoming her home. Because of her experience here, she has learned more about herself. “For example” she gushed “I am so giving because the people of Belize are so giving!” The most important message for the women of Belize, says Connie, is that you can do whatever you want. People don’t have to keep you down. Your strength comes from within. Connie is a student of Child Development and Sign Language.

Michelle Collins, another inspirational member of the visiting delegation , is the founder of the Image Intelligence Group. She does image management and fashion consulting in the form of workshops and events for young girls and women as far as self-esteem is concerned. As one of the speakers at the Summit, she will be addressing domestic violence from a church aspect. “Should the church get involved in domestic violence issues?”, I inquired. Ms. Collins response was deep and well thought out. “I believe that the church should serve as a resource just like community-based organizations. It should be a resource, not a roadblock. I think the church should empower women to be strong, not to endure. I think the church should teach women to be strong, that if that means leaving, then we should go”. Strong words indeed for a religious-based society such as we have in Belize that is constantly teaching women that their calling is to be subservient and to endure at all costs.

With each conversation, the inspirational messages for women were the same, just with different words. “To change the mentality, it starts with one. To change a society, it starts with one. Small changes create bigger changes, but somebody needs to start the change.” Those were Michelle’s parting words.

No doubt, the issues affecting Belizean women has ratcheted up a notch on the priority scale just from having such an esteemed group of accomplished and inspirational professional women speak on our behalf. What’s more, they are all living proof that if you think it, you can achieve anything. More importantly, this group is not just talking, it is working, moving and doing something to make the lot of many Belizean women at least a bit better.

Incidentally, the design on the wall that was painted at St. Catherine’s is a Shabazz original. Congratulations to Ms. Shabazz for her love and dedication to Belize.

belizean
05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Women allege assault by enraged neighbour

The recent spate of deadly violence against women at the hands of their significant others has placed the issues surrounding domestic abuse on the forefront of public concern. But tonight there is yet another disturbing case to report because over the weekend two women were attacked because they tried to help a neighbour who was being brutally beaten.

Eva Medina, Knife Victim
“Same time this bway just come inna the house and he do this. I think if I neva mi conscious that he di do me with the knife like this and I neva move I muss ih mi wah done dead.”

Just after ten on Saturday night, twenty-eight year old Eva Medina and her five young children were inside their Mahogany Extension home when one of their neighbours, Kirk Pollard, charged into the house. Pollard was armed with a knife and without warning he attacked Medina and Sheena Audinette, a neighbour who was visiting at the time. According to the women, earlier in the evening Pollard and his girlfriend had a violent argument. Someone called the police but as soon as the cops left the enraged man turned on them, believing they had called the authorities.

Eva Medina
“He beat she and then she just run cross here and we were sitting on our steps. Me and two more friends and she seh the bway just beat ah and bruk wah glass table pan her head so my next neighbour called police fi the bway and she actually start to cry and seh she noh wan involve police inna it. So she gone and the bway lock up inna the house and when police come police gone after the bwoy. And this bway just come and seh weh Jamie deh so I tell him Jamie noh deh yah so he seh well I wah tek the charge fi unnu and he come with the knife and do me like this pan my neck and I haul back way and just the tip of the knife ketch me.”

Jacqueline Godwin
“Was it long?”

Eva Medina
“It was along knife like this, a thin lee knife like this long. I guess it was sharp because just the tip ketch me and when the tip ketch me...like I tell you that was rough.”

Sheena Audinette, Friend/Neighbour
“And he haul out the knife and he just slit my friend throat and then I jump up then when she knock him and she spring up she seh hey my neck the burn me, you see how you mek my neck the bleed.”

The women say Pollard then started chasing them in the house. Medina said at one time she had to defend herself with a part of her baby’s crib as her attacker kept wielding his weapon at her.

Sheena Audinette
“And he come after we and he the juck after we like he wah kill we and I get fraid. I neva even know weh fi mi seh and thing like that and she the talk to him and thing and he seh he noh care and this and that and she the talk to him and it look like when she the talk to him he the get vex and thing so I like, inna my mind right, why she noh mek he just talk his thing because I mi fraid bad, bad, bad, like my knee and all they get weak.”

Audinette and Medina say all they could do was screamed to her children aged nine months to twelve years old to get out of the house.

Sheena Audinette
“When he come and she come round the chair and I buck up into fi she baby bed so I tell him bway this baby deh side of me and he say he noh give wah this and that.”

Jacqueline Godwin
“And this is the first time that he attacked you?

Eva Medina
“This is the first time because dah like I tell you he talk to us, he is our neighbour but maybe something mi wrong with him the night or maybe he mi drugs up or something.”

When Pollard finally left the house, the frightened women immediately contacted the police who returned to the neighbourhood. That night, Audinette and Medina pressed charges against him for the incident.

Sheena Audinette
“And when we reach dah the station he say he wah tek take the charge and watch it after this, right there inna the police station, but she mi the give fi she statement and I mi deh outside the look pan he and he seh he wah tek the charges but watch it after this. And I fraid, I noh know what because me fraid and I have to pass there everyday.”

Eva Medina
“I think I wan justice and then I noh want like him deh round me and thing because like I tell you I dah wah single mother and I scared fi my kids and then like I work night shift and I noh want him deh under my house and thing because under my house dark.”

This afternoon Pollard appeared before Magistrate Sharon Frazer where he pled guilty to aggravated assault of Eva Medina but not guilty to harm and used of threatening words. The case has been adjourned until May twenty-ninth. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic abuse and needs safe shelter, please contact the Women's Department at 227-7397.

Belizeans.com
05-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Women’s Dept. launches handbook for men

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_pics/18494.jpg

The issue of domestic violence is a complex one, both for the perpetrator and victim. What is not hard to figure out, however, is that something needs to be done to stop it. Today the Women's Department introduced a new weapon in the fight.

The reality is that men do not feel comfortable talking about domestic abuse and it’s probably one of the reasons why a number of efforts to get them involved in tackling the problem have not been very successful. So this morning, the Women’s Department officially launched a Men’s Handbook on Domestic Violence that they hope will find grater acceptance and help in finding a solution to a serious problem.

Carol Fonseca, Executive Director, Women’s Department
“What we are hoping to achieve from this handbook is that men will be able to pick this up and get relevant information about how they themselves can deal with issues as it relates to themselves having internal conflicts when it comes to how to deal with issues of anger. We have a lot of men who come to our department who say they believe they are in relationships that often times instigate them to become explosive. And one of the things we are hoping for is that prevention will be key in terms of men who pick up this book.”

The handbook was developed by attorney and Challenges Worldwide Volunteer Raheel Khan who spent many hours interviewing men in the prison system and in the community at large.

Raheel Khan, Developer, Men’s Handbook on Domestic Violence
“I was inspired by a radio show that I did at Belize Central prison with various inmates there who were connected with domestic violence, whether as victims or perpetrators or just people who knew that domestic violence was occurring. These inmates gave me various insights into the issue.”

“I had to meet people who were considered to be upstanding men in Belizean society as well to see their views on domestic violence and thereby get a wide cross-section to integrate into a domestic violence handbook.”

“Many men that I spoke to believe that they have burdens that they carry through on a daily basis that women simply do not understand or appreciate and this leads to frustration. There is also cultural silence in Belize in that they cannot talk to people about problems that seriously affect them and these pressures together with stresses, which comes about by not being able to provide for their family builds up and people say it just explodes into domestic violence.”

Free copies of the Men’s Handbook on Domestic Violence, are available at the Women’s Department on Albert Street.

In 2006, the Women's Department also developed a Women's Handbook on Domestic Violence.

Belizeans.com
07-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Abdiel Sandoval Convicted of Cutting Up & Crippling Teen Girlfriend

He was accused of the brutal assault of his 16 year old girlfriend - cutting her up so badly that he left the teenager paralyzed and this afternoon the majority of a nine member jury voted to convict 21-year-old Abdiel Sandoval of attempted murder. Sandoval was accused of assaulting his girlfriend Tracy Donis. The jury deliberated for three hours before returning with 8 to 1 vote in favor of a conviction. 7NEWS was there when this afternoon's verdict was read.

Keith Swift Reporting,
This afternoon the newly convicted Abdiel Sandoval was escorted out of Supreme Court number 3 in handcuffs. He was without emotion and showed even what looked to be a hint of defiance. And while Sandoval was unemotional, Glenda Donis, the mother of the girl he is convicted of trying to kill was teary-eyed.

Glenda Donis, Mother of Victim
"I thank God. Justice has been done because the way how my daughter is, her life is finished right here."

Keith Swift,
You got justice today?

Glenda Donis,
"Yes, I am glad for that."

Glenda Donis says she got justice against Sandoval who paralyzed her daughter in September of 2005. Then only 16, Tracy Donis told us from her hospital bed what she endured.

[September 5th, 2005]
Teen Girl,
"He asked me to take a walk up the hill so we went to take a walk and then I told him I didn't want anything to do with him. So he just started to strangle me and I told him to stop and I started to cry and then afterwards I told him to please let me go but he didn't want to let go."

The girl says she tried to leave his house and that's when his anger escalated.

Teen Girl,
"He carried me and told me I wasn't going anywhere and that I was going to die right now. So he took me into the bush and he started to choke me. I felt like I could breathe no more and I told him to stop and I will do anything for him to let me go. He went to drink some water and he asked me if I wanted to drink some water. I told him no and so he went inside and my brother in law was talking to me. I told him I wanted to go home and I wanted to cry. So he told me in a quiet voice to go home, and when I was going home that's when he came running outside with a knife and he just cut my neck and he stabbed me in the side, the right hand side, and he stabbed me two times on the back."
[Click Here for full story.]

It was two hours of terror for Tracy back then and it's been two years of anguish for her mother Glenda Donis because her daughter is paralyzed for life.

Glenda Donis,
"I think my daughter will feel good now."

Keith Swift,
How has she been doing?

Glenda Donis,
"She is the same way. She is trying right there."

Keith Swift,
But she will never walk?

Glenda Donis,
"She will never walk again. I thank God."

We should note that Abdiel Sandoval's mom was also emotional after the verdict. She sobbed loudly in court after the verdict was read and later told us that the jury made a mistake. Sandoval, who took the stand in his own defense, was represented by David Morales. The crown counsel was Douglas Carr. Sandoval faces a sentence of up to life in prison and will be sentenced by Justice Adolph Lucas on August 2nd.

Belizeans.com
08-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Abdiel Sandoval Gets 15 Years for Crippling Girlfriend

Nearly two years ago Abdiel Sandoval paralyzed his then 16-year-old girlfriend, Tracy Donis, when he stabbed her in the back. He was convicted of her attempted murder last week and today Justice Adolph Lucas sentenced Sandoval to 15 years in Jail.

Two character witnesses spoke on Sandoval’s behalf but Abdiel Sandoval did not beg the judge for leniency- in fact he said nothing at his sentencing. A victim’s impact statement from Tracy Donis was read in which she said that her future is ruined. In passing sentence, Justice Lucas chastened Sandoval – telling him he should have just walked away and found a new girlfriend. But Lucas’s 15-year sentence is hardly consolation for Tracy’s mother Glenda Donis. She today told Keith Swift why she is not happy with the sentence.

Glenda Donis, Victim’s Mother
“I am not satisfied because in 15 years time he will be out and what about my daughter, she will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life and I am not happy about that. That is too little, too little.”

Keith Swift,
What was Tracy’s reaction to the verdict?

Glenda Donis,
“She was happy because all this while he was out and now he will pay for what he did but he deserved more than that. He deserved life because he damaged my daughter for life. I am the mother and I know...it is hard for me to deal with her. Everyday I have to be patient with her because it is not easy. I am a mother and I know what I go through with her.”

Sandoval’s 15 year sentence is dated retroactively to July 20th. We note that under the new parole rules, with good behavior Abdiel Sandoval could be out of jail within 5 years when he is 26 years old. Justice Lucas advised the Donis family to file a civil suit against Sandoval if they want compensation.

belizean
10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
U.S. group leads seminar on domestic violence

Domestic abuse has become a major social problem in Belize. With this in mind Haven House—a shelter for battered women—with support from the Women’s Department and the Belize Michigan Partners, has organised a seminar on domestic violence and sexual assault. The event will be facilitated by two trainers from the LACASA organisation in Michigan, which also deals with these kinds of issues. Dorla Rosado is the Executive Director of Haven House.

Dorla Rosado, Executive Director, Haven House
“We know that in Michigan, because LACASA is very successful at what they’re doing, we wanted to have them to come and share with us how they do and also to help us to do better networking to have a better understanding of domestic violence and how we can really increase our activities to eliminate domestic violence in Belize.”

Marion Ali, Reporting
For the next two weeks, the facilitators will be engaged with several key organisations.

Janice Watkins, Programme Coordinator, Belize Michigan Partners
“They’re going to be giving a lot of information that those resources can use. The police, clergy, people in education, people at the hospital; the service providers that would probably come in contact with domestic violence first and give them to opportunity to go over to the Women’s Department and find out where they can go, where the resources are.”

Marion Ali
“How do you feel that women are not using the resources that are already available to them?”

Janice Watkins
“Women have a lot of reasons for not using those resources. When women are battered a lot of times they worry about financially can they leave, will their partner change—maybe if they are better behaved their partner will change, family pressures, church pressures, ‘til death do us part does not mean until your death and so they need to know that there is a way to lead, there is a process.”

Today the facilitators had lunch with their partners and the media. During the brief time, they discovered that there are some interesting differences between the Belize and Michigan settings.

Kandy Johnes-Guerin, Public Relations Officer, LACASA
“You’ve got a lot of different departments here that are different than what we have in that States. As far as departments of government, the way that the police systems work, the way that the hospital systems work, and really all of the people that would be immediate responders to domestic violence. It’s going to be very fun and very engaging to work with everybody to try to create a community network for everyone.”
But because domestic violence takes place in different communities across the globe, the Women’s Department’s Icilda Humes, says they will also focus on the difference of cultures.

Icilda Humes, Coordinator, Women’s Department
“Theoretically the issues are the same, but practically when we put it into the local context there needs to be certain things that presenters, that advocates coming from other countries need to be familiar with so they can be able to appreciate the differences that exist and the issues that exist and the implications that domestic violence have on our Belize society.”

Marion Ali
“What would we be looking at in particular to compare with these ladies coming in from Michigan?”

Icilda Humes
“Well what we did today, we sat down we had a brainstorming session because like I said earlier the theory is the same but the practical is different. What we have found is that there are various reasons in Belize why women chose to stay in domestic violence situations. For instance we might here a lot of women saying man shortage deh da Belize.”

The seminars will take place from October eighth to eleventh. Over the next week the ladies will also visit with women’s groups in rural communities.

bemetu
10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
i hope they educate the dyam policeman dem......on one of my many trips to belize mi man di harass mi rass because ah some stupidness......when i gone dah police station to make a report di idiot police wha tell mi wife and husband nobody business!.......:rolleyes:

belizean
10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Re: "di harass mi rass because ah some stupidness.."

Exactly! Just because me and you midi juk, he wah get bex! :rolleyes:

Belizeans.com
11-02-2007, 06:29 AM
New methods introduced against domestic violence

Today the Pan American Health Organization in collaboration with the Ministry of health and the Women’s Department opened a two day workshop to introduce care providers to a new method for addressing the problem of domestic violence. It is hoped that the participants will adapt the tools from “In Her Shoes: Living with Domestic Violence” for use in their programmes to help victims. The sessions are being facilitated by PATH, The Programme for Appropriate Technology in Health and the Intercambios Alliance, a regional NGO for the prevention of gender based violence. According to the organisers, the participants’ experience will help them better understand the severe challenges faced by battered women. According to PATH representative Margarita Quintanilla, the methodology has been a success in Latin America.

Margarita Quintanilla, Representative, PATH, Nicaragua
“They did a workshop with a focal group of women and they were asking what do want, what would you like we to do in order to improve people care in terms of women violence. And they said we want something that could touch their heart and it’s what In Her Shoes do. We are not training; In Her Shoes just make people live what women live.”

The workshop, hosted at the Radisson, will conclude on Friday.

Belizeans.com
11-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Gina Bood Survives Vicious Domestic Attack

30-year-old construction worker Clarence Jones is in jail tonight, accused of trying to kill the mother of his children. Jones was today charged for attempted murder. He is accused of trying to kill 23-year-old Gina Bood - who was attacked on Saturday evening. She narrowly escaped death and this afternoon the domestic abuse survivor told Keith Swift her story.

Gina Bood, Attacked With Knife by Husband
“He just told me he will kill me, he will kill me. He said if he can’t have me then nobody will have me. He just told me, he just repeated that he will kill me.”

And on Saturday Clarence Jones came close to killing 23-year-old Gina Bood, his estranged wife and mother of his two children. It occurred here at the Pallotti Roundabout at about 6:15 on Saturday evening. Gina Bood says she was walking along with Clarence Jones to the bus stop, he was taking the kids to Sandhill for the weekend. He asked her to take him back. She out rightly refused and that’s when he pulled out a butcher knife and started stabbing her.

Gina Bood,
“He was talking to me about let me come home back, asking me to take him back because he will change and I told him no. He asked me over and over and I said no I won’t take him because he won’t change. That time he had my one-year-old son in his hand and he just dropped my son and I went to pick up my son and he attacked me. First I thought he was just hitting me and I saw the knife in his hand. The first stab he gave me was to the side. He took the knife and I guess he was going to slice my throat but I held down my head and he just slice me, the slice went straight across.”

He walked away leaving Gina Bood in a pool of blood – droplets of which were still visible today on the walkway near the roundabout. As for Gina, the left side of her face has been stitched, she has scratches all over her body, and the stab wounds barely missed her lungs – which is why she now has to walk around with this tube.

Gina says she had been with Clarence since she was 15 years old and she left him – 9 months ago - because he allegedly became abusive. But abuse is one thing but she never believed it would have escalated to this.

Gina Bood,
“As far as I concern, in the relationship, the reason why I left is because the abusing but he had never hauled a knife or threaten my life in that kind of way. He has never hauled an object and attempted to use it on me.”

Keith Swift,
Do you think that if given the chance on Saturday evening he would have killed you?

Gina Bood,
“I believe that was his intention and I believe he planned it because he had the knife on him.”

Clarence Jones has been charged for attempted murder and Gina says she will pursue the charges.

Gina Bood,
“I am pressing charges to the fullest against him. I will not back, I will not change my mind because his intention was to kill me and he did this to me in front of my two boys. I don’t know if I can say it taught me anything because as a person who is separated, I always said I like to see a father and a mother get along for the best of their children. I was trying to put my children first but he was just insisting that I go back to him and I told him I don’t want to have anything, just the kids. I just wanted me and him to be friends and put the best interest of the kids first but I learnt from this, I guess it can’t work like that.”

She learnt something and Gina says there is also something other women can learn from her experience.

Gina Bood,
“Don’t stay in the relationship and always just expect the unexpected because I never expected Clarence to do this to me and look what happened to me so I would just tell them that at the first sign of abuse, just get out, just walk away from it.”

It’s a painful lesson that almost cost Gina Bood her life.

In addition to attempted murder, Jones has been charged with aggravated assault, grievous harm, and use of threatening words. Bail was denied and his next court appearance is December 5th.

Belizeans.com
11-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Running Against Domestic Violence

When Raquel Requena was killed yesterday allegedly by her deranged ex-husband, it was a sobering reminder of the sudden and persistent danger of domestic violence. In fact, that killing occurred 6 days after the House of Representatives passed the Domestic Violence Bill and three days before the international day to end violence against women.

The day to end violence is Sunday and in connection with that, the Women’s Issue Network is sponsoring their annual torch run. It began in Punta Gorda on Saturday and after traveling through Dangriga, Cayo, and Belmopan – it was supposed to arrive in Belize city this evening. But because of the rain it didn’t. But while it wasn’t brought into the city by a runner, it was brought in for the ceremony. The torch was lit at the YWCA late this afternoon. We spoke to WIN-Belize’s Executive Director Carolyn Reynolds.

Carolyn Reynolds, Executive Director – WIN-Belize
“The reason for the torch run is to strengthen the awareness of HIV/Aids and gender based violence and to get the participation of others within the society to think about how they can make a difference, how they can assist organizations working in this field to ensure that we can get a much lower reduction of gender based violence especially and the prevention of HIV/Aids by changing behaviors.”

Keith Swift,
Do you think that the torch run is making a difference?

Carolyn Reynolds,
“Well basically I might be bias but I can say maybe it has made a difference because more women are speaking out, more women are speaking out.”

Belizeans.com
11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Monument Erected in Memory of Domestic Violence Causalities

http://www.7newsbelize.com/grc/news/112311b.jpg

But while more women are speaking out, more women are also being abused and killed. There were 865 cases of domestic violence reported last year and up to June of this year, there have been 455 reported cases. There is no tally of how many women have been killed by their spouses this year but we know Racquel Requena is one of them. And in memory of women like Racquel Requena, Mayor Zenaida Moya and WIN-Belize today unveiled a new monument in the Constitution Park. WIN Belize’s Carolyn Reynolds says it’s in memory of all the women who have been killed.

Carolyn Reynolds,
“It’s really in memory of women who have died from domestic violence and for those who died from illnesses related to HIV and Aids. And so we want this to be here in remembrance of them when people pass through the park, or if at anytime women who feel like they need to come to terms with someone who has passed away from domestic violence, that this is somewhere they can come to be at peace.”

Keith Swift,
Explain the two colors.

Carolyn Reynolds,
“Because we look at the link between gender based violence and HIV/Aids. Because a lot of people would want to know what is the link when we say the link and that is because women who are abused, women who are experiencing domestic abuse, are more at risk of contracting HIV/Aids because domestic violence is all about power and control and so when they are not in control, they don’t have that power to resist their partners from having sex with them and so they can contract HIV/Aids at that time.”

The monument was funded by the United Nations’ Food and Population Agency. The torch run meanwhile continues on to San Pedro tomorrow. Its journey will end in Corozal on December 1st which is World Aids Day.

Belizeans.com
11-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Men wanted for march against domestic violence

The period between Garifuna Settlement Day and Christmas is a hectic one in Belize as our thoughts turn to celebration, gift giving, and, not insignificantly, finding the funds to pay for all that fun. But increasingly the days of late November and early December are being devoted to a pair of issues that represent a serious threat to Belize: the epidemics of AIDS and domestic violence. As part of its sixteen days of activism campaign the Women’s Department is asking us to listen...and act.

Icilda Humes, Ag. Director, Women’s Department
“In the past we used to have more of a candlelight vigil where we would hold our candles and march in silence and in solidarity of all the women who have died at the hands of domestic violence and also in recognition of the men and women who continue to live with domestic violence on a daily basis.”

Kendra Griffith, Reporting
According to Acting Director of the Women’s Department, Icilda Humes, this Friday’s march in commemoration of World AIDS Day and International Day to Elimination Violence against Women will be different.

Icilda Humes
“We don’t want to parade and be silent anymore. We want to march and be very vocal about what is happening. So we are taking a different spin on it. We’ll be having the opening ceremonies starting at three-thirty at the Yabra Green basketball court and that will be followed by the march through the streets and will end at the Memorial Park.”

This year they are asking some very special guests to be a part of the activities: men ... but not just any man.

Icilda Humes
“Real men ... and by real men we mean men who don’t abuse women. So all you real men out there, you are invited to be a part of this activity tomorrow and the real men who will be participating in the march will be able to take home with them a T-Shirt. And that is the real men’s t-shirt. And it says I am a real man because I don’t abuse women.”

“We need more than the women’s voices to stand out and speak out against domestic violence. Men have a crucial role to play in speaking to their friends, in speaking to their colleagues, their brothers, their fathers, their sons, telling them that they don’t appreciate domestic violence. They don’t respect it and they certainly have a zero tolerance for it.”

Domestic violence is a complex issue, but experts believed that the problem has some of its roots in the way boys and girls are socialised while growing up.

Icilda Humes
“It’s more acceptable for girls to speak about it. But boys are supposed to me a man, they are supposed to be hard and so real men, as some people would say, don’t speak out about their problems, don’t talk about their emotions and they things that are going wrong in their lives and so it’s a matter of us changing the way we are nurturing out children.”

Although women are their speciality, the department also handles cases in which men are the victims. One hundred and ten men filed abuse complaints in 2006. In May, the Women’s Department published a Men’s Handbook on Domestic Violence ... and next week the Belize Family Life Association will be holding its second Men’s forum: Male Talk, which they hope will result in the formation of a male agency.

Icilda Humes
“A Men Against Violence Committee was established in 2005, but for various reasons it’s been dormant for some time now and so we have asked the organisers of the activity to focus a bit on the need for that committee to be reactivated and for the outcome of that forum to be that there will be a commitment by at least a handful of men to be a part of that committee.”

Kendra Griffith reporting for News Five.

To be a part of the march and earn your t-shirt, be at the Yabra Green basketball court Friday by three-thirty.

the love2
11-30-2007, 07:58 AM
WE ARE FRENCH HACKERS WE LIKED TO BE SPANKED

Belizeans.com
04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Georgetown man charged w/burning wife to death

Meanwhile, police investigations into the death of a Stann Creek mother have led to the arrest of her husband. It is alleged that on March twenty-fourth, twenty-two year old Avette Augustine and her common-law husband twenty-eight year old Alvin Guzman were in their Georgetown Village home when the two became embroiled in an argument. The dispute escalated to deadly violence when Guzman reportedly doused his wife with gasoline and lit her on fire. Both Guzman and Augustine suffered severe burns but the young mother succumbed to her injuries on April first while being treated at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City. When questioned by authorities, the accused maintained his innocence, claiming that as he was lighting a fish coil to repel mosquitoes, there was a sudden explosion and they both caught fire. But police didn’t buy that story and on Friday, Independence police arrested and charged Guzman with Murder. He appeared in Dangriga Magistrates’ Court on Friday where he was ordered remanded to Hattieville Prison until May twenty-ninth. Guzman is still suffering from burns to his hands and face. The couple’s two children are now in the care of family members in the village. While there is no record of a complaint of spousal abuse against Guzman, Augustine’s relatives describe their loved one’s relationship as abusive.

Belizeans.com
08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Wife drops assault charges against husband

Domestic abuse is often reported to the police and then regularly dismissed in Court. And today at Magistrate Court number one, twenty-eight year old Claudia Saunders told Chief Magistrate Margaret McKenzie that she does not want any further court action against her alleged attacker and husband, thirty-five year old Brian Saunders. On Friday, nightclub owner Brian Saunders approached his wife, Claudia, the Operations manager at the Belize Zoo, cranked a nine millimeter pistol and pointed it at her. He then dragged her to his pick-up truck, forced her inside and drove to Democracia, known as Satellite City, a short distance away. Once at the location, Claudia says Brian fired a shot in the air, punched and kicked her and even threatened her life. After all that, Saunders was spared by his wife of charges including aggravated assault with a firearm, harm, damage to property, and usage of threatening words. He, however, could not escape the charge of discharging a firearm in public. For that Saunders was offered a bail of five hundred dollars and his case was adjourned until September eighteenth.

Belizeans.com
08-19-2008, 06:55 AM
On Friday we told you about the domestic drama that almost turned into deadly gunplay at the Belize Zoo. Brian Saunders went to his wife’s workplace at the zoo with his licensed firearm, pulled the gun and threatened to kill her, and it all happened inside the zoo’s administrative office.

28 year old Claudia Saunders is the zoo’s manager and she told police that he stormed into her office, pointed a 9 mm pistol in her face, cranked it, and put it to her head. He then grabbed her in her hair and dragged her to his vehicle. He drove to the nearby Mahogany Heights, beat her, and that’s when police came, took away his weapon and arrested him.

With all that, he was assessed with 5 criminal charges, but four of them were dropped today when his wife Claudia Saunders asked the court to drop the charges. A single count of discharging a firearm in public remained and he pleaded not guilty to it. Saunders escaped going to jail since the charge of discharging a firearm does not fall under the new gun laws. There was no objection to bail so he was offered and met bail of $500.

Belizeans.com
11-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Ch 7:

And there’s also reaction from the Ministry of National Security. General Lloyd Gillett who is now the CEO in the Ministry was the second in command at the BDF in 2004 when those grenades went missing. He today told us what he knew and when he knew it...but first said that the BDF has accounted for al its grenades.

Brig. Gen. Lloyd Gillett, CEO – Ministry of National Security
“We have asked the BDF to conduct an investigation of their stock and all the grenades that the BDF has received over the years are accounted for. They are either in stock or they are confirm used in training.

I read the transcript of Mr. Germain’s comments that 24 went missing in 2004. the BDF was not aware of that and the police was not aware of that and so we continue to investigate that along with the British forces. The police has been meeting with them to try and ascertain where those grenades went missing and how we can try and locate those grenades.

I really don’t know how many grenades are out there but what I can assure the Belizean people is that every effort is being made to try and recover grenades that are out on the streets.”

Late this evening 7NEWS a senior source at the Ministry of National Security old us that Lt. Col. Germain has told them that while he informed the media on Thursday that the grenades had gone missing from their compound, today he cannot say where they went missing. It was late information and we could not reach Germain to confirm this position.

According to our source, the initial investigation conducted by the British Police indicate that after the container arrived in Belize and was taken to the military compound it was discovered to be empty and that there were no visible signs of forced entry. So the Ministry’s position remains that at this time the investigation has not been able to determine if the grenades went missing during transhipment or inside Belize. But we do know that one of them exploded in Belize two weeks ago.

ilam96
12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
On Friday we told you about the domestic drama that almost turned into deadly gunplay at the Belize Zoo. Brian Saunders went to his wife’s workplace at the zoo with his licensed firearm, pulled the gun and threatened to kill her, and it all happened inside the zoo’s administrative office.

28 year old Claudia Saunders is the zoo’s manager and she told police that he stormed into her office, pointed a 9 mm pistol in her face, cranked it, and put it to her head. He then grabbed her in her hair and dragged her to his vehicle. He drove to the nearby Mahogany Heights, beat her, and that’s when police came, took away his weapon and arrested him.

With all that, he was assessed with 5 criminal charges, but four of them were dropped today when his wife Claudia Saunders asked the court to drop the charges. A single count of discharging a firearm in public remained and he pleaded not guilty to it. Saunders escaped going to jail since the charge of discharging a firearm does not fall under the new gun laws. There was no objection to bail so he was offered and met bail of $500.

lawd but da why? anybadi cud gimmie mo tory pan dis wan ya? wait ah tink ah hafi call belize....brb...

bemetu
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM

she dah idiot!...ih shudda mi pistol whip her a$$!

bzegirl
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
seems like she's scared of being killed. Probably don't believe the court system would provide justice and she'd be at his mercy.

Dream Babes
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
lawd but da why? anybadi cud gimmie mo tory pan dis wan ya? wait ah tink ah hafi call belize....brb... Why? You know dah Whu??

zpania
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
she dah idiot!...ih shudda mi pistol whip her a$$!

Or maybe she is smart. A gallon of gasoline ( now that the price has gone down) and a box of match - dah bally about to become the human torch .

bemetu
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Or maybe she is smart. A gallon of gasoline ( now that the price has gone down) and a box of match - dah bally about to become the human torch .
yu have a point there yunni zpania.....law enforcement in erlize need to change their views on domestic violence cause one year me and mi boo gawn home together and he di harass mi rass cause i waa go pawty with fi me friends di dyam police man deh tell mi fi listen to mi boo and send mi rass outta di station....**** like dis no happen eena america at all!

zpania
12-02-2008, 09:47 PM
yu have a point there yunni zpania.....law enforcement in erlize need to change their views on domestic violence cause one year me and mi boo gawn home together and he di harass mi rass cause i waa go pawty with fi me friends di dyam police man deh tell mi fi listen to mi boo and send mi rass outta di station....**** like dis no happen eena america at all!

Not only that, but I keep asking myself , what about the male relatives of the victims of domestic violence, y'know , the brothers, uncles and male cousins? I am sure there are ways they can persuade an abuser to cease and desist from such a deplorable behavior. :blast:blast:blast:blast

ilam96
12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Why? You know dah Whu??

yeah, she used to work at Go Graphics b4 going ova da di zoo...unfortunately the only one who can give me mo info is someone i'd rather not speak to....i cyah imagine why - except for the obvious fear for her life, she would not retaliate, its not like her, but anyways God be with her.

Belizeans.com
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Women’s Dept. exploring intervention program for batterers

When the sixteen days of activism activities wraps up next Wednesday, the task of finding ways to end domestic violence will continue in the background. One means by which the Women’s Department is exploring that issue is through an intervention program for batterers. In the country to discuss that possibility is the programme coordinator, director of Grenada’s program and a representative from UNIFEM. The batterers intervention program was first piloted in Grenada and is now in its seventh cycle, having successfully reached over a hundred men.

Shane Joseph, Program Coord., Grenada
“It’s about perpetrator accountability; that men begin to take ownership of their behaviour, begin to understand that violence is a choice and begin understand that they can solve their conflicts and their issues within their relationship by choosing alternative mechanisms apart from violence. The men initially are very resistant, but once they come into the program and they understand that it is about changing their behaviour and taking a desire to stop violence, most of them come on board by session four, five and are much more accommodating.”

Jacqueline Sealy-Burke, Program Director, Grenada
“We are going to be meeting with the potential facilitators for this program. One of the key ingredients of this program is that it is delivered by a male and female co-facilitators. That is essential. So tentatively, today we will be meeting with the potential facilitators. We also have to meet with the judiciary, the magistracy because unless there is total buy-in from the court system, it’s really not going to work because the programme is a court connected program, so most of the referrals come from the legal system, from the court system.”

Shane Joseph
“Yes, we are meeting with all the partner agencies, but in order for this program to be sustainable, there must be the buy-in and the support from the government to take ownership of this program, because at the end of the day, it is all about building, capacity building and sustainability.”

Icilda Humes, Director, Women’s Department
“A lot of work has been done with the victims of domestic violence in our country in terms of providing support, in terms of providing services, in terms of ensuring that they are able to access justice, but not enough work has been done with the perpetrators. We hear of incidences where women are able to leave abusive situations and they move on with their lives and their partners move on with their lives. But in some cases the perpetrators move on with their lives but they move one to another partner and they perpetrate the same violence on that individual so the cycle continues. So we are not really addressing the problem as it pertains to the perpetrators of domestic violence. so definitely it is some that we need in this country and it is something that we need very quickly.”

The team will also be meeting with the ministers of Human Development and Finance. They leave on Friday.

belizean
12-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Study Of Southside Domestic Abuse

"E Cud Happen To Any A Wi" is a report on domestic violence, which contains the findings of a survey conducted on 116 women in Belize City Southside communities in June to August of this year.
The survey, which was done by the Women's Circle of Belize, was aimed at determining how much violence was happening in the community, what to do about it and the direction that the group needs to take to help these women.

The survey respondents which included domestics and teachers between 18 and 86 years old revealed the experience, thoughts, conditions and the circumstances that lead to violence. The Women's Circle today shared some of the observations of the survey:

Sheila Guiseppi, Member of Women's Circle
"They observe that a lot of women think it's only abuse when they are beaten physically. If he rails up with her they don't see that as abuse so there are many women living with situations where there is a lot of psychological abuse but they don't see it as a problem because he has not beat her up."

Joyce Flowers, Founding Member and Treasurer - Women's Circle
"As soon as you say violence against they think domestic violence so we try to educate them again to tell them well violence against women include all the others - sexual harassment in the workplace, rape, abuse be it sexual or whatever, even mental abuse or physical abuse - they all come under the one heading of violence against women, so we just try to educate them about it."

Irene Buddan, Member of Women's Circle
"The third observation is that people don't want to say it happen to them, its easier to say that it happen to someone they know. We interview one woman who we knew had been a victim of rape but when we ask her about sexual violence, she said she knew someone it happen to. People are still scared to come forward."

Joyce Flowers, Founding Member and Treasurer - Women's Circle
"We have educational sessions, development sessions and so on trying to encourage these women to come to the session so that they can list their self esteem because we find a lot of them feel like they can do nothing to help themselves so that is one of the first thing we want to do is to lift their self esteem, develop their knowledge so that they know how to go about with our support in improving the lives of themselves and their family."

Lorna Moody, Member of Women's Circle
"The fourth observation; when women feel they are dependent on a man they often believe that they have no other choice but to live with violence and abuse. A woman says 'what else can I do? I have to eat, I have to drink' women sometimes trade themselves for a living, they trade sex for a living and some men wont maintain their children unless the woman have sex with him."

Debra Lewis, Member of Women's Circle
"We are going to be looking at what needs to be done to give more support to the women because I think that when women say there is nothing that can be done, I think its in recognition of all the barriers that women face in order to try to break free of abusive relationships and I think its not true that nothing is being done, we know for example that the women's department has been very active in trying to do something specific around domestic violence but I think it so overwhelming when you are in that situation that it is very difficult to take a first step and we also know that there needs to be much more done particularly for example in the area of providing some kind of economic for women who are in situations of domestic abuse so that we want first of all provide a place for women where they can come where they will feel safe to talk about their situation berceuse that was definitely another thing that came out the survey that women don't want to tell whether its domestic violence, rapes, sexual assault, sexual abuse women don't want to talk about it because they are afraid of what other people will say. There is still that enormous sense of shame that's involve when you are a victim which is completely not the way things should be. It should be if you are the perpetrator, yes you should feel shame, but you are the victim, it shouldn't be a shameful thing. So as a community of women organization we need to show women that we can provide you with the safe place first of all and then we can help you kind of problem solve to find out where you can go from there, what can you do for your own situation? So it's kind of a 2 prong attack, on the one hand providing that safe space for women so that they can and get support for women and on the other hand identifying those things that we really need to push for in terms of getting more support and more alternatives for women who are victims of violence."

"E cud happen to any a wi" will be distributed across the country in libraries, schools and other institutions. In addition to this report, the organization is also working on another publication that will be complemented with graphics to use for public education. The group says it will also conduct a similar survey in the north-side of the city. The Women's Circle, made up of some twenty members, meets every Tuesday at 5:30p.m at the St. Martin's Child Care Centre.